Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should after hours posts count to your tally?

Options
  • 11-02-2008 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭

This might be an unpopular suggestion but maybe after hours posts shouldn't count to your total posts tally. I always thought they didn't up till the weekend when i posted there a few times and my count went up.

Posts are usually just nonsense there, which i'm not saying is a bad thing I think some great and funny threads happen there, but some one who is giving help in a form is bit more deserving of a high thread count.

Not that it means all that much but i just think its worth considering.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

You want to make AH the new TCN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mods can always move them to the bin or Cuckoos Nest if they want to and then postcount minus occurs to anyone that might have posted in said moved threads. Meh, I wouldn't bother changing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

rkm wrote: »
    You want to make AH the new TCN?

I think the Thunderdome would be a far more accurate comparison, especially recently ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

And postcount matters how?

Are you going to put it on your CV?

"Ah, I see you've 16000 posts on boards.ie, but 11000 of those are nonsensical drivel posts in this After Hours place. No, we can't use you. In future, confine yourself to posting in the Science fora."

True but the OP mentioned nonsense ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Unnecessary IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Why are members that post in AH less deserving of their post count than members that like to talk about computers?

Its popular because ppl like it. Therefore post count should stay...

I dont care eitherway..

Slow coach wrote: »
    And postcount matters how?
    It doesn't. But a small number of posters seem to think it does. So not having postcount in a particular forum discourages that kind of poster from relentlessly spamming the forum even when they don't really have anything to say.

tCN doesn't have postcount, and I think it works very well there ... because that forum allows a certain license to teh silly, the postwhores would probably go to town on it with +1 / yore Ma / no, YORE Ma! / no, yore DA!! type of shoite.

I suspect that the OP is thinking along those lines. I'm not sure, however, that it would make much difference in this case ... AH will always be AH, and this probably wouldn't change it that much ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dunno, was thinking of making it like that anyway.

personally, id prefer to do away with post counts once you reach about 1000 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Posts in feedback should be subtracted from your post count.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Posts in AH only really count when they contain borderline racist sentiment or a hang'em-flog'em attitude towards the criminal justice system, that's scientific fact.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

regi wrote: »
    I would support this only I'd go into negative postcount territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

@slow coach: thats exactly why i said "not that it means that much" . I guess your post count kind of represents how much you contribute to boards

@Syper: "giving help" isn't just limited to computers, there's a ball load of forums that you could give help with out mentioning a computer

@randylonghorn: You hit the nail on the head there! Its the Yore MA-esc comments there is why i would think its worth considering. Some people are very into getting there posts up... just today a friend of mine has being trawling through the humor furom posting "Ha Ha Ha" to post his post counts! Sad huh!

@regi: lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Post-count is nothing.

Join Date is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

CuLT wrote: »
    I would support this only I'd go into negative postcount territory.
    Same here.
    You're easily looking at -6,000 for me.

At hte end of the day, you are not your post count or your join date.
    You are your contribution to this community.

I hit the 10,000 mark a few months back. Didn't really notice, but someon PM'd me about it.
    I generally don't take post count into consideration unless someone with a post count of less than ~50 is trolling.

:D Go for it!!
    I guess your post count kind of represents how much you contribute to boards
    Not always, unfortunately.
    @randylonghorn: You hit the nail on the head there!
    I've always been good at nailing them ... ¬_¬
    @Some people are very into getting there posts up... just today a friend of mine has being trawling through the humor furom posting "Ha Ha Ha" to post his post counts! Sad huh!
    A bit, I guess. But at least by doing it that way he's not annoying anyone, in fact, some of those who posted jokes may be pleased to get poitive feedback and encouraged to contribute more. There are much more annoying ways of postwhoring, even on this site, and there are lots of sites out there where it's much much worse, as the mods here tend to keep an eye for the more blatant forms of it.
    Talliesin wrote: »
    Post-count is nothing.

Join Date is everything.
    So much so that some people put their name down soon after birth ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Wait. I just said a whole lot of nothing.

Leave post count as it is. Most people seem to like it.
    Those trying to bump their post count with excessive +1 type posts are dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It doesn't. But a small number of posters seem to think it does. So not having postcount in a particular forum discourages that kind of poster from relentlessly spamming the forum even when they don't really have anything to say.

tCN doesn't have postcount, and I think it works very well there ... because that forum allows a certain license to teh silly, the postwhores would probably go to town on it with +1 / yore Ma / no, YORE Ma! / no, yore DA!! type of shoite.

I suspect that the OP is thinking along those lines. I'm not sure, however, that it would make much difference in this case ... AH will always be AH, and this probably wouldn't change it that much ...
    +1

At the end of the day, it won't have a major impact on the content, but it may discourage a tiny amount of the outright spam that gets posted there and for that reason is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Post-count is nothing.

exactly, but i only think that since i lost the most post count race about 8 years ago.

Join Date is everything.

this is the most important thing. its much more important that you have been here... hey, wait a second!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

esel wrote: »

Beep! Beep! Irony detector activated! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

esel wrote: »

x 2¢

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Hill Billy how did you get the cent symbol?

/edit Postcount + 1

¢ [alt] + 0162 is one way

Advertisement