Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does this offend you?

• 11-02-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

On saturday during the Rangers V Falkirk game a Dublin based Rangers supporters club The Dublin Loyal RSC unveiled a banner which was inspired by a newspaper report which had the headline "Behind Enemy Lines". Obviously in reference to Celtic being known as the "Irish" club in Glasgow.

This slogan was the only statement on the banner along with a scotland flag and the name of the supporters club.
    The banner in question was taken by police at half time as it was classed as "offensive" by the match controller, and since then Kenny Scott the head of security at Ibrox has banned the item from the stadium.

My question to you is, as Irish people be you Celtic fans or not, do you find this as humorous...or offensive?:confused:

Does the slogan offend you? 48 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    4% 2 votes
    Not the feckin old firm again...
    95% 46 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Kinda stupid banner but nope doesnt offend me.

But i dont attend football matches were relgious bigotry was an issue, could offend falkirk fans?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Offensive? Nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Obviously tongue-in-cheek imo.

If anyone is offended by it, they are an idiot who doesn't get jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ziggy wrote: »

Burn him hes a witch!!!!

http://file003b.bebo.com/large/2006/05/16/10/7510162a832348622b540493229l.jpg

is this offensive? :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

ziggy wrote: »

Im an Irish Catholic Ziggy....we dont all look at it that way, and for me the banner was in good humour, the fact that one of the members of the Dublin Loyal is a polish catholic may tell you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaCL wrote: »
    troll :D:D:D

That is hilarious tbh.

Fair play to whoever made it.

DesF wrote: »
    troll :D:D:D

That is hilarious tbh.

Fair play to whoever made it.

it is very funny actually....but seemingly humour isnt allowed within the confines of Ibrox or Parkhead anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I think its funny and I am a nationalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Eirebear wrote: »
    but seemingly humour isnt allowed within the confines of Ibrox or Parkhead anymore

Except for most of the rest of the SPL's defending, ba dum tish!

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Except for most of the SPL defending, ba dum tish!

Bwah.......bwahhhhh

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Except for most of the rest of the SPL's defending, ba dum tish!

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Who really cares?

Ibrox security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

*ignores location*

<_< >_>

I laughed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think its funny and I am a nationalist.

+1

It's witty and very clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

No... and dont care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I must admit i laughed when I saw it that day at the Cross. :D

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Who really cares?

I do...thats why i asked:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

i dont find it offensive, as im sure no one else in scotland would find an irish flag being un-veiled at a soccer match in ireland with the similar thing written on it.......
    btw the cork banner is great!!

• Advertisement

Rangers fans cried about Boruc, they are well capable of crying about an Irish flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

This is the same country where a goalkeeper got into trouble for blessing himself. It doesn't surprise me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Some pundit on STV (Gerry McNee) described The Fields of Athenry and the Irish National Anthem as sectarian "Irish Tosh" a few months ago.

Actually, here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RZrS3p8X0Y

Anything and everything is offensive and sectarian in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

eirebhoy wrote: »

Anything and everything is offensive and sectarian in Scotland.

That is because most of the media haven't got a feckin clue what they are talking about.

As for the banner at Ibrox, it was not offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i think security taking a funny banner off fans is rediculous! like in the world cup 2002 when FAI officials took the pro keane/anti McCarthy flag! it was funny-end of....u all remember it?:

ireland kit: €90
    trip to the world cup: €1000
    the look on micks face when roy called him a w*nker: PRICELESS!!

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm offended, and so's my wife.

Seriously though, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

All national flags are banned at the Emirates, or at least they were last season anyway due to a complaint about someone who had a Turkish Cypriot flag, so the club banned all flags :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I find everything about Rangers offensive Eirebear, especially the smell off yiz. :D :eek:

Who was offended, and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

OPENROAD wrote: »
    All national flags are banned at the Emirates, or at least they were last season anyway due to a complaint about someone who had a Turkish Cypriot flag, so the club banned all flags :rolleyes:

from memory, the reason for th einitial complaint was a valid one. Arsenal had to act on it, really. I can understand why all flags are banned, banning one flag would be seen as racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

Couldn't care less, though i'm not a fan of either so i shouldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I'm not in any way shape or form offended by the flag and find its removal to be a belated over-reaction to the wrong thing from the Ibrox authorities. I hope this idiotic decision is over-turned.

I do however take great offence to the internet hardman routine from the Dublin Loyal, whom if their website were to be believed spend their entire time 'putting timmy in his place', draping Union Flags on nationalist monuments and chasing Rovers casuals round Dublin as opposed to the meeting in secret and keeping their heads well and truely down that they do in the real world.

Ironic that they actually have finally been noticed and the victim of something from their own, as opposed to the Celtic fans who won't be drawn into giving them the hard time they crave so they can live up to their 'behind enemy lines' moniker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Well put

Well put

Why thank you.

It hasnt actually dawned on the Dublin Loyal that Irish Celtic fans care not one jot. If they were going to get turned over, they would have years ago. A group of expats get together to watch their team. Good for them. They even had a little flag made up until it got confiscated. They are getting nothing but sympathy for that on the Huddleboard, it is seen as petty stewarding and Celtic fans can empathise with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Tauren wrote: »
    from memory, the reason for th einitial complaint was a valid one. Arsenal had to act on it, really. I can understand why all flags are banned, banning one flag would be seen as racist.

Possibly, but the fact that you can't fly the flag of St George at Arsenal is still mad imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

the Dublin Loyal drink in The George.

It says so on their website

ha ha

I do however take great offence to the internet hardman routine from the Dublin Loyal, whom if their website were to be believed spend their entire time 'putting timmy in his place', draping Union Flags on nationalist monuments and chasing Rovers casuals round Dublin as opposed to the meeting in secret and keeping their heads well and truely down that they do in the real world.

I do agree with you here to an extent, but the last time i looked at the dublin loyal website it hadnt been updated for around 4 or 5 years, and dated back to a time when the DID get a hard time and had to keep their metings secret etc.
    I dont see this as being a problem now though and they could do with getting their website sorted out.
    especially considering one of their main guys now is a polish catholic! :D

Paul: unfortunately we cannot do anything about the smell....its the smell of success! ;)

Honestly this does offend me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FaJ2Ijp6Dc

And for the simple reason that they have been called ''the fighting Irish'', and they have the name Ireland in their name.

If Northern Ireland is to remain as part of Britian, then they should officialy change the name. This is clearly offensive, and Northern Ireland cry that players like Gibson won't play for them!!! Having God save the queen as the anthem is a sure fire way to segregation.

Honestly this does offend me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FaJ2Ijp6Dc

And for the simple reason that they have been called ''the fighting Irish'', and they have the name Ireland in their name.

If Northern Ireland is to remain as part of Britian, then they should officialy change the name. This is clearly offensive, and Northern Ireland cry that players like Gibson won't play for them!!! Having God save the queen as the anthem is a sure fire way to segregation.

my speakers aint working is it GSTQ?
    I completely agree with you, but what do you want to change the name of? Northern Ireland? Im confused..

I think the name of Northern Ireland should be changed.....British newfoundland or something...iits more in jest really, I don't care if their name is Northern Ireland, but I stand by the claims about God save the Queen, I'm happy you agree.

• Advertisement

I think it would be a major step forward for Northern Ireland both culturally and politically to stop singing GSTQ as their "anthem" tbh, i find it bizzare that they still do.
    And as you say, untill they stop it will always be a barrier to any nationalist minded players playing for them

I do agree with you here to an extent, but the last time i looked at the dublin loyal website it hadnt been updated for around 4 or 5 years, and dated back to a time when the DID get a hard time and had to keep their metings secret etc.

The website is far more current than that, there are tales there from last season.

Dublin Loyal never got a hard time. They desperatly want one, but no-one is biting.
    I dont see this as being a problem now though and they could do with getting their website sorted out.

Agreed, the tall tales are more likely to get them in trouble than the team they follow.
    especially considering one of their main guys now is a polish catholic! :D

Some people will do anything for a reaction allright. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Dublin people supporting British teams? Of course it's offensive. :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The most bizarre thing about GSTQ is that - lets face it - Her Majesty couldn't give a fiddler's fook about Northern Ireland - or Scotland for that matter.

GSTQ doesn't offend me I must say. The whole monarchy concept is so out-of-date that to me it's just a harmless old ditty really. I do have a chuckle though at how some NI fans and some Rangers fans can be so fiercly anti-English yet will belt out GSTQ at every opportunity. I mean I don't think there is anything quite more quintessentially English than the Queen, yet I heard a Rangers supporter saying he wasn't going to attend Scotland matches now that Terry Butcher - an Englishman - is part of the Scotland setup.

As for the Dublin Loyal, a few minutes on their new website is long enough to figure out that their main interest isn't football. If I was a Rangers fan in Dublin, I'd be disappointed that the one and only RSC in the area (that I'm aware of, maybe there's others?) is more a political mouthpiece for seemingly oppressed brethren than a supporters' club. Log on to www.chip-on-shoulder.com for more information.

Advertisement