Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Rubbish.

Options
  • 11-02-2008 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Are Renault as bad as people say? Some of my friends have Laguna's and they have terrible stories to say about them! Everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. The electrics appear to be a disaster zone and the fuel consumption rubbish. A few of them wanted to trade but were told by the local Honda and Toyota dealers that they would not take the cars as trade ins!

If they are that bad why do people continue to buy them?

Are all french cars as bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

I'm not a car expert, so this is just opinion. Neither am I in any way connected with the motor industry, so I have no bias outside my own experience. I'm on my fourth French car (third Renault) since 1998, and I have had no major issues.

98 Megane 1.9 diesel, ~85,000 miles, no major issues
    01 Laguna 1.6 Super Sport, ~85,000 miles, one alternator (and several wheel rims, but that's not a Renault/French issue per se)
    04 Peugeot 307 1.4 Hdi, 60,000 miles. No issues. Currently my wife's car.
    07 Scenic 1.5 diesel. No issues yet.

All of the above were/are company cars, so they weren't treated with kid gloves. All in all, I've been very happy with the French cars I've had so far. The Laguna was by far my favourite thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

jebus, what next? overpriced Audis?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Don't worry........junkyard will be along any minute! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Don't worry........junkyard will be along any minute! :D

.....with pins in his eyes :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

I have seen this Renault. So if they are all bad, should I leave it.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=732005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

You'll get good exercise and muscles in your legs from pushing it everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

French cars are v comfortable as a rule. This does have a down side, if you are traveling on rough roads suspension parts are going to take a bashing while keeping you in comfort. Bushings and the likes are very soft. Torsion bar back axles do give trouble also, no more than other back axles but they are not as simple a fix as a simple fixed beam axle (fwd) Always found french cars to have v nice seats as standard compared to german marks

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Are Renault threads the new Alfa threads now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

My sis and bro in law bought one because they liked liked the "look" of a Renault a friend of theirs had.

Complete disaster all 3 were bought from new.

If you are getting wine or cheese - definitely French.

Otherwise - As one persons sig on boards has ...... Renault? "Id prefer pins in my eyes"

You are taking a big risk with Renault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Worded. Your sister and brother in law bought a Renault from new that was a complete disaster so they bought another that was a complete disaster. Given their previous experience, they bought another Renault which was a complete disaster?

A fool and his money is soon parted.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

I have a renault megane - 02 . just like the one timemachine has asked about. I have it 18 months and it has been perfect. Looks great. Interior is lovely and its a nice drive. My girlfriend had a 96 clio for a while and it was perfect. Thats why i bought the megane.

I would have no problem buying another renault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I have seen this Renault. So if they are all bad, should I leave it.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=732005

It seems that some people are happy with their Renault and some very unhappy. I'd say though that the general consensus is to stay away from them. You could be lucky and get a good one but are more likely to get a heap of dirt. Also, if you did buy it you would never get rid of it again.

Its particularly bad when people have problems even after buying from new (as some people on the thread have said).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Having had German cars for years we recently bought a 2006 Megane Sport Tourer with the 106bhp 1.5 diesel. The interior space, ride, equipment , economy and performance are amazing, it really is a terrific drive and knocks our previous Golf into a cocked hat. Renault diesels are also among the best you can buy. I drive a BMW and never tire of taking the Renault as it is so nimble and quick . The car has been back to Renault for 2 failed window regulators, both replaced without under warranty. I know there is a prejudice against French cars by some here, most of whom have probably never owned one, but on this experience I would genuinely consider them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,848 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Worded. Your sister and brother in law bought a Renault from new that was a complete disaster so they bought another that was a complete disaster. Given their previous experience, they bought another Renault which was a complete disaster?

I read it as the sis bought one, the bro bought one, and the friend had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My sister is on her third one although this one let her down serioulsy on a trip between Dublin and Tralee with two kids in the back. Fortunitally her insurance covered their trip. She thinks this particular car is a lemon and wants to trade for another one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Renault electrics? This was taken this morning. Driver had reversing lights on full time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

We had a Megane Coupe from new and an Espace for a while. The Coupe was great, very nippy, comfortable, good spec and a really, really good car. The Espace I hated because it was a people carrier, which is not my thing at all. That said it was a brilliant workhorse, comfortable, economical considering teh size and broadly reliable. (One rescue by the AA when it wouldn't start in 3 years of ownership isn't that bad, especially on a hard working car that's a few years old). The clutch went in the end which was a few hundred euro to fix.

I was also very happy with the service form the Renault Dealers, courtesy cars, friendly staff and sensible prices.

The Renaults have usually been my wife's cars and she's moved onto BMs now but we'd both be happy enough to go back to Renault.

What took you so long Henry? ;) Are you some kind of Renault stalker? You should have followed that ML in your pic instead, now there's a car guaranteed to let you down.

I was also very happy with the service form the Renault Dealers, courtesy cars, friendly staff and sensible prices.

Ditto that Amadeus, I've found their service to be better than BMW, they are definitely making the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What took you so long Henry? ;) Are you some kind of Renault stalker? You should have followed that ML in your pic instead, now there's a car guaranteed to let you down.

No I'm not a stalker. I simply point out certain truths from time to time. What is the point of your post?

I'll explain, since your obviously not in the mood for light hearted posts.

"What took you so long Henry"
    If there is Renault bashing taking place you are usually quick to join in.

"Are you some kind of Renault stalker?"
    You are taking pictures of Renaults with electrical problems, this seems like odd behaviour. It was an attempt at humour.

"You should have followed that ML in your pic instead, now there's a car guaranteed to let you down."
    Just pointing out that the Mercedes M Class is one of the most unreliable cars on the road.

I see. Hilarious.

p.s. Renaults are generally rubbish :D

I have a laguna briefly, alot of the time the start button seemed to short the whole dash out instead of starting it. Only after trying multiple times would it start. Occasionally under hard acceleration the autobox would give a large thud, and the thing would go into limp home mode.

The interior was cheap and falling apart and lots of little electrical things like the radio and tyre poressure sensors wern't working.

Worst part was the car was a 03! (this was last year). I could have got a dud but other peoples experiences with these cars tells me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

They bought from new, within three months of each other. The problems started six months after that.

Weight of evidence yet again points towards poor Renault quality.

If anyone has had a good experience with them, count your blessings. Play the lotto too.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Mine is 06 Megane 1.6 petrol, has just over 100,000 Km on it. Has broken down twice due to faulty ign coils, had to put 2 window winders in it.
    But have to say its a nippy solid comfortable car to drive, need to change it soon but will prob stay away for another one. Anyone any thoughts on the new corolla saloon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

Weight of evidence yet again points towards poor Renault quality.

If anyone has had a good experience with them, count your blessings. Play the lotto too.

Actually if you count the positive posts in this thread against the negative, the evidence points towards them being a good car with a few bad exceptions, I drive an 04 megane saloon from new and had a laguna previous to that and have had no issues to date but of course theres people i know who tell me im mad to drive them "sure dont they always fall apart" is what most of them say but they soon shut up when asked have they actually driven one let alone own one. op theres plenty of badge snobs out there drive one if you like it and the price is right go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

My friend has a 2002 Laguna and the passanger electric window goes up and down on its own! Had to disconnect it so now it wont go up or down. The doors wont lock and he cant lock them by hand because there is no manual option so he cant bring it anywhere. This is the second time its happened.

The dash lights up like a Christmas tree with warning lights but Renault cant find a problem.

You have got to laugh!

I must say that I did notice in some of the threads supporting Renault that alternators etc needed replacing. Thats not good in a modern car.

I guess it is turning into a bit of a Renault bashing but there seems to be a lot of bad stories out there.

• Advertisement

plissken wrote: »
    Actually if you count the positive posts in this thread against the negative, the evidence points towards them being a good car with a few bad exceptions, I drive an 04 megane saloon from new and had a laguna previous to that and have had no issues to date but of course theres people i know who tell me im mad to drive them "sure dont they always fall apart" is what most of them say but they soon shut up when asked have they actually driven one let alone own one. op theres plenty of badge snobs out there drive one if you like it and the price is right go for it

"In the kingdom of the blind, a one eyed man is king" - John Cooper Clarke.

The independent surveys all point to the relative poor quality of Renault. Try trading your Megane or Laguna in and tell us how you get on. Dealers will quite rightly send you away.

Fools and their money.....:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement