Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Rubbish.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Stekelly wrote: »
    I cant find the survey (cant remmebr which one it is) that lists the cars by faults per 100 but the jd power survey gives a 4% difference in satisfaction between Renault and VW, yet VW reputation is very good generally while Renault fairs poorly in the "man down the pub said" survey.

Anyone who is into cars knows that VWs have been rubbish for the past 5-10 years for reliability. Their reputation for reliability is older than the stories about diesels being hear coming about half a mile before they arrive.

(I'm wondering on reading your post again if what you were trying to say is that to the ordinary Joe, a Renault is rubbish and a VW is great in terms of reliability, in which case I apologise for the way in which I constructed what I said above)

As for whether Renaults are rubbish or not for reliability, all I know is that anyone I know that had the Laguna II had huge trouble with it(one person had one for 18 months and couldn't stick it as it went to the garage 10 times because it had problems), instrument clusters, key cards you name it what could go wrong did go wrong.

On the other hand, I know people who had 19s and Meganes and went for Renaults again and again cause they had no problems.

The current Passat is well documented here on Motors for giving loads of trouble, especially the electric hand brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

E92 wrote: »

(I'm wondering on reading your post again if what you were trying to say is that to the ordinary Joe, a Renault is rubbish and a VW is great in terms of reliability, in which case I apologise for the way in which I constructed what I said above).

Yeah thats what I was getting at.
    Even looking at this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055094590 (which popped up on google :) ) even the supposed devil car, the laguna, only fairs 0.4% less satisfactory to own than a mondeo.

faceman wrote: »
    i bought the car with low mileage last year for €6,500. Was offered €9,000 for it at the weekend.

We just traded themissus 00 scenic and got €4,500 for it (off the above mentioned 05 one).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

i bought the car with low mileage last year for €6,500. Was offered €9,000 for it at the weekend.

An appreciating Renault. You'll have to forgive me if I say "I don't believe a word of that" :D

Did the man with the €9000 have a white stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you like Renault, you will keep going back. So if you buy one, bring it back to the dealer you bought it off. They will be hard pressed to tell you the car you bought off them 12 months ago is now worth 5k less than you paid for it. They will give you a good trade in price off a newer model.
    You have to want to stick with Renault though. Thats what i did, two new clio's in a row. It was only when i got married and decided something a little bigger is in order (could no longer afford new cars :D) that i went with a Primera. Back to renault now and no complaints with that scenic... so far anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Saruman wrote: »
    If you like Renault, you will keep going back. So if you buy one, bring it back to the dealer you bought it off. They will be hard pressed to tell you the car you bought off them 12 months ago is now worth 5k less than you paid for it. They will give you a good trade in price off a newer model.
    You have to want to stick with Renault though. Thats what i did, two new clio's in a row. It was only when i got married and decided something a little bigger is in order (could no longer afford new cars :D) that i went with a Primera. Back to renault now and no complaints with that scenic... so far anyway.

In fairness, you didn't really go away from Renault by having a Nissan for a while:)!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Clio's are the exception. They are generally fine.

Anything bigger is where the problems are.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Clio's are the exception. They are generally fine.

Anything bigger is where the problems are.

I've owned 2 Safranes without incident (really wish I hadnt sold either). My dad is currently abuseing a Laguna as a work car (plumber) with no issues (105k miles on that one) and the missus is about to move on to her 2nd Scenic. My godfather has had a string of Renaults since the 80's. Only issue he has is his current (might have changed in the last while , it's been about a year since I saw him) Laguna is the timeing belt snapped. His own fault though, he let it go over the change interval.

Changes nothing. They are poorly built and of poor quality. Sale proof too.

Saying you've had a good one or 5 or even 10 does nothing to change that. The evidence is there.

As for the guy with the Appreciating Laguna! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

E92 wrote: »
    In fairness, you didn't really go away from Renault by having a Nissan for a while!

Touché :D

Although, the Primera was a 01 model. Did Renault own them back then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Changes nothing. They are poorly built and of poor quality. Sale proof too.

Saying you've had a good one or 5 or even 10 does nothing to change that. The evidence is there.

As for the guy with the Appreciating Laguna! :D

I agree with Henry. The evidence is overwhelming. Carried out a little survey in work today. Almost all of the Laguna owners experienced exactly the same problems - electrics. They will also freely admit that they are stuck with the piles of dirt. Other dealers will not touch them under any circumstances.

It would appear that the Clio do fare a little better and do seem more reliable.

From what I can see Renault are rubbish and are only good to light a fire. The electrics are so bad they will probably spontaneously combust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The Laguna from 2000-04 was disaster and that is well documented, the revamp in 04 addressed a lot of the quality issues, and toward the end of its life the Laguna II was a much more reliable proposition, but by then the damage to the reputation was done. Renault have to build back customer confidence, both in its product and dealer network, to my eyes this is happening. Other Marques have had quality nightmares, Merc E-Class, S-Class, BMW 3 series (early E36) but have had badges that pulled them through, Renault will have to work that bit harder but I am confident their products will do the talking and their reputation is on the up.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

The Laguna from 2000-04 was disaster and that is well documented.

I dunno. I'm sure that's universally true (given that hyperbole and exaggeration don't exist on teh Intarweb), but i had an early (Feb 01) Laguna II on which I put 86,000 miles up and down the country and other than the alternator I had nary a bit of bother. I'd quite happily get another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

do you feel that all french cars are unreliable or just renault. What about citroen and peugeot ? I see plenty of these floating about so either are really cheap, good value for money, or good cars ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

An appreciating Renault. You'll have to forgive me if I say "I don't believe a word of that" :D

Did the man with the €9000 have a white stick?

i bought the car thru a dealer without warranty after getting a mechanic to check it out. Granted i got a special price. I have receipts tho but I dont really care what you think. Its always your opinion above all else which contributes very little in this forum.

i bought the car thru a dealer without warranty after getting a mechanic to check it out. Granted i got a special price. I have receipts tho but I dont really care what you think. Its always your opinion above all else which contributes very little in this forum.

I still find your assertion impossible to believe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Its always your opinion above all else which contributes very little in this forum.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I still find your assertion impossible to believe :D

Why?

If someone buys a car as seen, with no NCT and perhaps in poor cosmetic condition then does a bit or work, tarts it up, NCT and taxes it why should they be unable to sell it at a profit?

My current car is worth more than I paid for it because it's a UK import now on Irish plates, and my last 3 cars have been sold at either break even or profit as well.

Or am I also a liar?

Why?

What I believe is entirely my own concern, and frankly I don't have to justify it to the likes of you.

Good day.

What I believe is entirely my own concern, and frankly I don't have to justify it to the likes of you.

I wasn't looking for justification, just an explanation / clarification.

You accused someone of being less than honest and I was asking why. It wasn't a personal attack, even from the "likes of me", whatever that is.

I said I didn't believe them. I still don't. That is all.

Anyhow back to topic. Renault Rubbish.

• Advertisement

I hate to bring objectivity to such a lively and well informed debate, but there is a UK "reliability index" (featured in "What Car" magazine). From thier website The UK Reliability index takes into account all factors of a repair, the cost of the parts and the frequency of failures and it's based on data from Warrenty Direct.

Now the average for all cars is 120, lower is better, higher is worse. So Renault scoring 120 isn't outstanding (compared to Toyota at 70, Honda at37 or Mazda at an amazing 28).

But Renault scores better than Alfa Romeo, Audi, Chrysler, Jaguar, Jeep, Land Rover, Mercedes, Porsche and Saab. Full table here

So while they are far from teh top of the tree they are not abject basket cases either and out score some big names in reiability terms. They also score consistently well in NCAP tests.

Some people have an irrational dislike of a given marque. I'd never drive a Skoda for example, but I recognise that they are solid cars and I understand why people do. Same goes for teh likes of Chrysler, SangYong (or however it's spelt), Lexus or whatever - not my thing, I'll give an opinion and argue a case as to why I dislike but I won't just blanket slam them without some reasons why or dismiss those who have good ownership experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Some people have an irrational dislike of a given marque. I'd never drive a Skoda for example, but I recognise that they are solid cars and I understand why people do. Same goes for teh likes of Chrysler, SangYong (or however it's spelt), Lexus or whatever - not my thing, I'll give an opinion and argue a case as to why I dislike but I won't just blanket slam them without some reasons why or dismiss those who have good ownership experiences.

Careful amadeus, with such a rational and well put point of view you're bound to both confuse and infuriate Our Favourite Troll Henry

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm closing this due to complaints about trolling by some people!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement