Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players Living On Past Reputations.

• 11-02-2008 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭

Alot of them around but Owen has to be the worst

Can't believe what a poor player he is now, of course he thinks hes great, Captain of Newcastle and all....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Paul Robinson, a undoubted star for Leeds.
    Goes on to be No.1 for England and Spurs, but this year has been a disaster. He is still a big name player though.

Awaits someone include Harry Kewell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Be fair he has had lots of injuries. i.e Michael Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

In fairness to Owen, he's scored 2 perfectly good goals against Man Utd and Boro which were disallowed. We could be seeing a much more confident player if they weren't taken away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Owen is still quality, he just needs to avoid those injuries

anyway Andrei Shevchenko :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

i think its harsh on owen, he has had some awful injuries, but when hes playing he scores goals no matter where he goes......?!?

Harry Kewell has had his fair share of injuries but when he is playing the last few seasons he has been awful!
    Id put John Arne Riise in same boat also, he has been very poor the last season and a half, living on past reputation in his own head as he launches pointless shots almost every week living on glories of past great goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

anyway Andrei Shevchenko :)

definatley, he has been sh!te since he moved to chelski! so horribly over rated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nicky Butt and Alan Smith. If they hadn't of played for United they'd be nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Bit harsh. Nicky Butt is still a good player. Sure Pele even picked him out as Englands best player a few years ago, and he's like, Pele for crying out loud!

John O'Shea - One amazing season, destined for great things........and then nothing.

Andriy Shevchenko - Has really tarnished his career with a move to Chelsea. Fair play to him for trying it out in a new league, but he should not still be at that club.

Robbie Fowler - Not saying it cos I dislike the chap - I'll be the first to say that in his heyday, he was one of the best players to play in the premiership. Injuries did him in a bit, but at Leeds and Man City, and his later spell at Pool he was not an effecitve player.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Robbie Fowler - Not saying it cos I dislike the chap - I'll be the first to say that in his heyday, he was one of the best players to play in the premiership. Injuries did him in a bit, but at Leeds and Man City, and his later spell at Pool he was not an effecitve player.

My turn to disagree -

2001–2003 Leeds United 29 games, 14 goals
    2003–2006 Manchester City 79 games, 21 goals

108 games and 35 goals. That's a goal every 3.08 games. Hardly disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Hel always be "god" in our eyes :rolleyes:

Owen still looks a good player just needs some confidence.

Id say Harry Kewell, Shevchenko, Alan Smith...they are what spring to mind. Im sure there are loads others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

joe123 wrote: »
    Hel always be "god" in our eyes

I'll always remember the day I got to ring my brother (Liverpool fan) and tell him that God now wears white. He was disgusted, but I was delighted. It was a shame he had so many injuries during his time at Elland Road, I would have loved to have seen what he could really have done when fully fit. that said, his record wasn't too shabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Luis Figo- best player in the world for a couple of years but has shown very little since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Del Piero

Morf wrote: »
    Del Piero

Again I disagree.

In the eight seasons before 2001 he scored 68 goals in 190 games in Serie A. Goals/game ratio of 2.8.

In the six and a half seasons so far after 2001 he has scored 95 goals in 195 games up until January 23 this year. Goals/game ratio of 2.05.

If anything he's gotten better and more consistent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ryan Giggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

ryan giggs was voted player of the month for december, by the supporters during a very succesful period for man u - so it proves he still has it

boa morte - whatever name he has left

D Bent
    K dyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

semibluff wrote: »
    ryan giggs was voted player of the month for december, by the supporters during a very succesful period for man u - so it proves he still has it
    And i think sometimes he is getting these awards just for being Giggs. Seriously, if we had just signed him we'd be thinking we had just wasted some money. Haven't seen Giggs be consistently good for a long time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Damien Duff.

Hasn't played well for Ireland for a few years now, yet people still include him in the "world class" players for Ireland list, along with Shay Given.

Duff is living off a decent enough showing at WC2002 (game of the tournament place and all) and a couple of medals with Chelsea.

He's constantly injured, and imo, is living off that WC performance among Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Laurent Robert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Nicky Butt is still a good player........

Nicky Butt is lucky Newcastle are about.

Regarding Fowler, I would hardly call playing for a mid table championship team 'living on past reputations'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Robbie Keane. Current Ireland career based entirely on good club form mixed with memories of the good old days with Ireland and faint hopes he will bring it back.

Its been 3 odd years since I saw him play a blinder in a green jersey.

Well, bar friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Most of the Newcastle team. Viduka, Owen, Butt, Smith, Duffers (to some respect. I think Newcastle need to give him a good kick in the ar$e) Though I am hopeful there 2/3 more years of magic in him

flanzer wrote: »
    Though I am hopeful there 2/3 more years of magic in him
    What?

In Duff?

He hasn't been "magic" in two or three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Ryan giggs,harry kewell,shevcenko,sol cambell,beckham.Think the micheal owen comments are wide of the mark.He is still a great finisher although he has had some terrible injuries and i admit has lost a little pace.

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Ryan giggs,harry kewell,shevcenko,sol cambell,beckham.Think the micheal owen comments are wide of the mark.He is still a great finisher although he has had some terrible injuries and i admit has lost a little pace.

Think sol campbell is a bit of a harsh call, true he should not be in the england team, but hes growing old quite gracefully with pompey and is still pretty decent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sol Campell is still the business tbh.

I think Nicky Butt is the finest example of what people are looking for in this thread. There was an expectation that he would become a dominant force for a midtable / top six team after he left Utd. However, it turns out that the likes of Scholes or Keane can cover up for your shortcomings very nicely indeed. He has regressed very quickly since he left and, being entirely honest, he has too many games a season where he is a non entity.

Kewell would not have served out the full length of his contract at Liverpool if it wasn't for the explosiveness of his years at Leeds. He should have been offloaded during 2005 - 2006 but Benitez clearly kept him around in the hope that he would come good again. He never has come close tbh.

Fowler owes nothing to no - one. He never reached the peaks he enjoyed during the first spell at Liverpool during his time at Leeds, City or during the second coming. But that isn't to say that he didn't always apply himself; that he didn't maintain a decent goalscoring record; that he wasn't an asset to those teams. He is currently playing at an appropriate level.

Other players worth mentioning are the likes of:

Ronaldinhio
    Ronaldo
    Adriano

Are they really as advertised these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

shane86 wrote: »
    Robbie Keane. Current Ireland career based entirely on good club form mixed with memories of the good old days with Ireland and faint hopes he will bring it back.

Its been 3 odd years since I saw him play a blinder in a green jersey.

Well, bar friendlies.

Keane deserves his place in the Ireland squad based on league performances.

Without Keane in our team where do you see the goals coming from?

He creates goals too you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Players Living On Past Reputations

You could almost make an XI with Newcastle players alone. What a joke of a club.

Disagree with the Keane nominations he's a better player now than he has ever been. Fair enough he's not doing the business for Ireland atm but thats more to do with everything around him (both on and off the pitch).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Steven Carr, how he still getting a game at Newcastle is beyond me, the best thing he has done in the last 3 years was International retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally I think Shevchenko is starting to show signs he is adjusting to the premiership and Chelsea way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well I'm not going to fully defend Sheva here but one or two things that people don't take into account. He has had a torrid time in the past 3 seasons with injury and his time at Chelsea has been littered with them.

The background struggles and fighting didn't help but like PHB said he has shown signs lately. Prior to his latest injury he was in cracking form, back scoring a few and in general fantastic link up play. Had he not gotten that injury thats still keeping him out we would be talking about him in a different light now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

ROBBIE KEANE!?!!?! you're kidding right? yea, definately living off past glory isnt he, sure he was only the premier league's top goalscorer in 2007, and ireland's all time record goal scorer... having a laugh!!

lloyd mentiond adriano, who went a bit mad, fecked off back to brazil as far as i know and is doing the business again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Completely disagree with the opinion that Michael Owen is living on past reputation. Unlucky with injuries, but when he plays, he scores.

Also unfair to Alan Smith. He never gets to play up forward anymore. Ferguson played him in midfield and that seems to be where he's played since.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Also unfair to Alan Smith. He never gets to play up forward anymore. Ferguson played him in midfield and that seems to be where he's played since.

He's not a goalscorer, he's not a midfielder so wtf is he? Oh that's right, a hatchet man.

He is a goalscorer. That's his position, as a striker.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    He is a goalscorer. That's his position, as a striker.

Nothing he has ever done has suggested to me that he is capable of scoring more than 10 goals in a season.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nothing he has ever done has suggested to me that he is capable of scoring more than 10 goals in a season.

I always thought he was decent at Leeds

Anyway, Stop making me defend Smith. I don't even like the bloke.

100% true statement!*

*except of course in 2000-2001 season when he scored 11 premiership goals....and a few more in europe

but in fairness Heskey scored 14 the same season

ditpoker wrote: »
    ROBBIE KEANE!?!!?! you're kidding right? yea, definately living off past glory isnt he, sure he was only the premier league's top goalscorer in 2007, and ireland's all time record goal scorer... having a laugh!!

He hasnt scored an away goal in 5 odd years bar friendlies or the Wales match. That is, what, 18 competitive trips abroad (from memory he has been fit for the majority of them) and one goal in that time? Would Spurs have him if he failed to score in every away trip?

His all time record includes a hatrick at home against San Marino, which he somehow failed to repeat on the away leg.

chopperbyrne- When was the last time Keane set up a competitive goal?
    From memory it was (I think) for Stephen Ireland against Wales. And it is possibly the only one in the last campaign I can recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

for christ sake, i aint Keanes biggest fan, but his name belongs nowhere near this thread.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    for christ sake, i aint Keanes biggest fan, but his name belongs nowhere near this thread.

Correct, because he doesn't even have past reputation, imo.

The only past reputation he has, imo, is as being a club hopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Anyone who thinks keane's name should be on this thread is a womble.That is all.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

2000/2001 - 18 goals
    2002/2003 - 12 goals
    2004/2005 - 11 goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

This Bobby Charlton bloke I keep hearing about. Always hanging around Old Trafford.. when was that last time he scored - not in bloody years.

Utter Mockery FFS

;)

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks keane's name should be on this thread is a womble.That is all.:)

He performs for Spurs.

He used to perform for Ireland. He doesnt anymore. Therefore, he is still on the team because of faint hopes he will bring us back to the old days when watching an Ireland match was a case of waiting for the inevitable Robbie goal i.e. still living off his past reputation. He was good in Wales. He seemed decent against Brazil (I was watching online on a blocky connection mind). In meaningful matches, particularly away ones, he hasnt put in a brilliant performance since, I dunno, iirc he played well against Israel in Landsdowne, that may well have been the last time. Id let him play the first two qualifiers in the autumn, and if he doesnt pull the finger out, drop him from the team. I always felt his suspension against Slovakia may well have caused re thinks which helped win the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DesF wrote: »
    Damien Duff.

Hasn't played well for Ireland for a few years now

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Man of the match about 15 times for us in the last few years. Our one consistently good performer since the 2002 world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Patrick Kluivert! His career pretty much ended when he turned 28. Still got big money moves to Newcastle and Valencia though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

As for the people who think Robbie Keane is living on a past reputation? He's already got 12 goals this season in the Premier League and is 4th top scorer. From what I've seen of him, he's playing some of his best football ever.

Here's hoping Traps can get the best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

shane86 wrote: »
    He performs for Spurs.

He used to perform for Ireland. He doesnt anymore. Therefore, he is still on the team because of faint hopes he will bring us back to the old days when watching an Ireland match was a case of waiting for the inevitable Robbie goal i.e. still living off his past reputation. He was good in Wales. He seemed decent against Brazil (I was watching online on a blocky connection mind). In meaningful matches, particularly away ones, he hasnt put in a brilliant performance since, I dunno, iirc he played well against Israel in Landsdowne, that may well have been the last time. Id let him play the first two qualifiers in the autumn, and if he doesnt pull the finger out, drop him from the team. I always felt his suspension against Slovakia may well have caused re thinks which helped win the game.

So who do you want to start up front? Do you put Keane on the bench? In the squad? Or do you drop his ass altogether? Do you also get rid of Duff? What about O' Shea? Steven Reid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Given how infrequently he played for spurs in recent seasons I think you could argue Defoe is living on reputation to a large extent. What has he displayed in recent times that justifies an England spot - one decent performance in a Portsmouth shirt doesn't make a good season. He needs a good remainder of this season.

Sure there are millions of others. Harry Kewell stands out. Kluivert, Albert Luque, K Dyer also good examples. Nearly anyone who's been in St. James Park home dressing room really. Scott parker to some degree living off his Charlton rep as much as anything. Andy Reid with his 4m move to Sunderland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement