Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players Living On Past Reputations.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

walshki wrote: »
    Andy Reid with his 4m move to Sunderland.
    That's a strange mention in this thread. He got a move to Sunderland based on his form 3 years ago for Forest? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

As for the people who think Robbie Keane is living on a past reputation? He's already got 12 goals this season in the Premier League and is 4th top scorer. From what I've seen of him, he's playing some of his best football ever.

Here's hoping Traps can get the best out of him.

Oh jaysus.

I repeat, he is getting his games FOR IRELAND based on past glories. Prem wise he is a brilliant player on a decididely average team.
    So who do you want to start up front? Do you put Keane on the bench? In the squad? Or do you drop his ass altogether? Do you also get rid of Duff? What about O' Shea? Steven Reid?

Hunt or Doyle in place of Keane. Even Morrison should be given a chance to come back. The Reading 3 have done more in the past year for us than Keane has in 3 years (ok, Long has played a limited amt, but still)

Duff my bollix, the few games he played lately for us he has been in great form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Archimedes wrote: »
    2000/2001 - 18 goals
    2002/2003 - 12 goals
    2004/2005 - 11 goals

I meant league goals but fair enough.

My point is though if a manager desperately needs a goalscorer he's not gonna say "Oh, I wonder if Alan Smith's available". Same way if he needs a midfielder he's gonna say "Well not that Alan Smith anyway, sure he's a striker". He's essentially a nothing player.

And he'll ruin your chances of getting into the InterToto on the FIFA Fair Play rule!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

eirebhoy wrote: »
    That's a strange mention in this thread. He got a move to Sunderland based on his form 3 years ago for Forest? :)

I think Andy Reids reputation and transfer fee are more based on what he's thought to be capable of/produces now and again than what he regularly produces. That could be said of a lot of players though and perhaps is slightly off the thread subject of past reputation and more into not producing consistently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

for consistency and longevity Pele.

I mean he's been milking his reputation for what, 40 years now.

I know your question is different though.

IMO Sheva is unfair. if he was still in Italy and doing ****e then fine but it's obvious the Egnlish game doesn't suit him and he's not going to adjust.

Raul would have been a good one but he picked up again this year. He was pretty ****e for a while.

Sadly I have to admitt that duffers up there with the best of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

2000/2001 - 18 goals
    2002/2003 - 12 goals
    2004/2005 - 11 goals

all i see is a list that says he was great 7 years ago but got progressively worse.
    isnt that wat past reputations are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Alot of them around but Owen has to be the worst

Can't believe what a poor player he is now, of course he thinks hes great, Captain of Newcastle and all....

Totally agree, when I saw the thread topic he was the first player to spring to mind. I was actually thinking about that earlier when I heard someone mention his name.
    I remember watching some clips of his goals and my sister said to me - "I forgot he was actually that good" and thats what I was thinking before she said it. He's so far beyond the player he once was it's unbelievable.

I know he still has ability in front of goal but watch a few old clips of him and remind yourself of how good he really was. He's overrated now and his reputation is saving him
    walshki wrote: »
    Defoe.... Harry Kewell
    ye and ye
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ronaldinhio
    Are they really as advertised these days?
    He isn't but his stock has fallen, he's not rated as highly as what he was. Most said he had a poor season last year, he's still a quality player though, defenitly living on reputation a little though
    Robbie Fowler

Past it but not living on a past reputation, good enough to be playing for Cardiff so his reputation isn't getting him anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

hope you are not just talking bout premiership players, if not.....david beckham! being doin it for years now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

colly10 wrote: »
    Totally agree, when I saw the thread topic he was the first player to spring to mind. I was actually thinking about that earlier when I heard someone mention his name.
    I remember watching some clips of his goals and my sister said to me - "I forgot he was actually that good" and thats what I was thinking before she said it. He's so far beyond the player he once was it's unbelievable.

He has had injury after injury though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

90% of the newcastle team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Edger Davids... he is one very forgetable player now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

shane86 wrote: »
    Oh jaysus.

I repeat, he is getting his games FOR IRELAND based on past glories. Prem wise he is a brilliant player on a decididely average team.

Hunt or Doyle in place of Keane. Even Morrison should be given a chance to come back. The Reading 3 have done more in the past year for us than Keane has in 3 years (ok, Long has played a limited amt, but still)

Duff my bollix, the few games he played lately for us he has been in great form.

this is such utter bull**** i have to stop reading and respond

right, you say robbie is playing brilliant in the prem but is only getting his game for ireland cuz of past glories? do you see how stupid and wrong that statement is? he is playing for ireland because his form is great for his club, same as the majority of footballers

and yes of course the high scoring heavyweights that are doyle,long and morrison should defo get a start ahead of him :rolleyes:

why should morrison be given a recall? whats he doing that makes him better then robbie??

have you considered the fact that its probably because ireland are so poor player talent wise and have been ****e tactically that he hasnt played his best football for ireland recently? hmm, when was he playing it, oh yeah, when we had a decent player pool and a decent tactically wise manager

one player doesnt make a team,a striker needs service to score, where does he get his service? lee carlsley? kevin kilbane? **** sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I meant league goals but fair enough.

My point is though if a manager desperately needs a goalscorer he's not gonna say "Oh, I wonder if Alan Smith's available". Same way if he needs a midfielder he's gonna say "Well not that Alan Smith anyway, sure he's a striker". He's essentially a nothing player.

And he'll ruin your chances of getting into the InterToto on the FIFA Fair Play rule!

but if he wants a player who will give you 100% commitment, isnt afraid to get hurt, can play as a target man and the ball just sticks to him, and also actually does know where the net is when given the opportunity with his head or his feet they will think of smith im sure. just as im sure you disagree so dont make me defend him again and lets just agree to disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

yep..Alan Smith is definitely living on past reputations. MU made him look good but when you're surrounded by crap players like at Newcastle ur fairly fcked.
    We're so bad at the moment that if Pele was playing in our team ppl would be saying "that pele fella? not worth a wvnk!!".
    Mike Owen was also the first name on my tongue but after considering that every time I cuss his name the cvnt ends up scoring for Newcastle ,I spat it out.
    Suppose I can't blame him for looking out for just himself...LFC screwed him years ago with all those injuries..playing him half fit..carrying an injury etc. Always felt sorry for him and he showed guts at Real Madrid where he have a very good season with them.."The plastic galactico" they called him..but he won them over with his displays..
    Robbie Fowler was treated the very same by LFC and he was a fantastic player.

Pity Stan Collymore still wasn't playing. or is he? You never know with that nutcase.
    Now there was a player!! Unbelievable talent !! all gone to waste:(

Advertisement