Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I being unreasonable or too reasonable

Options
  • 12-02-2008 12:04am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don't want to give too many details of the incident but would like opinion.
    I was driving wifeys car (Pug 206) through a junction (I had a green light) when someone pulled out without looking (they were looking in the opposite direction) and stopped. I hadn't enough time to stop so the corners met.
    Other driver was on L plates and had no NCT - admitted liability and wished to settle privately. Swapped details etc.
    Wifeys car had broken headlamp, dented / folded corner to bonnet and broken grille.

I got a quote from a local bodyshop and it came to over €xxxx. This includes car hire while its in as this is essential so she can get to work.
    I informed other driver of this and they requested second opinions. Fair enough.
    I rang one of the two numbers given to me and described the damage. This person gave an estimate pretty much matching the initial one I got.
    FTR, I am also adamant that the bonnet be replaced rather than repaired as it wasn't damaged before the other driver pulled out in front of me.

Anyhow, I told the other driver of this over the weekend and was asked if I could provide them with a copy of the insurance cert showing that Im covered on the car. Feckin hell - I saw red but stayed clam. I agreed as long as they could provide their NCT cert and driving licence - this made them back down!

Anyhow, they rang me on yesterday wanting to meet up so they could take pics of the damage. I was heading out so agreed to meet them later on (they actually asked for my address then but I was fecked if they were coming round whilst I was out). When I did meet them they took pics but never asked for insurance details. Anyhow, I reminded them of their insurance request and said how I had notified my wife's insurance company of the incident and showed them the letter confirming this!

The other driver was to come back to me today and he did about 5:30. It turns out that they showed the pics to another bodyshop who can do the work for less than half of what the other two were charging as they would repair the bonnet rather than replace it. I said that I wouldn't accept that. I also said that the quoted price seemed very cheap but similarly prices vary everywhere and I could go to Pug and get an extortionate price. I told them that the way it stands currently, my wife cannot NCT her car (due in Jan) until this is resolved. They said that they would call me back in 10 mins.

The phone went about two hours later but it wasn't the driver - it was their father. FFS - are they an adult or not?
    Anyhow daddy wants me to bring the car down to the place that provided the quote today. I didn't say anything but don't see the point because they will not be fixing the car at the end of the day.

Should I just give an ultimatum - agree to pay the price the 1st oultet quoted or go through insurance? I was thinking of telling them this tomorrow morning and they were to get back by 5pm. Is that fair? Have I been reasonable in getting a local rather than a Pug quote?
    I'm just fed up with this crap and now I have her in my other ear wanting it sorted!

I'm not looking for opinions on the quote so don't post to say that its too much or too little for a french car!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

He was at fault, he agreed to settle off books. Now he is messing about. I think you've been more than reasonable so it looks like insurance route is the best option. I think you are right to request that your car is restored to pre accident condition. Only question is which would provide the quicker solution for you and to your satisfaction. For the other guy the question is pay your quote or go through insurance and pay the increased premiums in the future. Had one of these fender benders before and all was settled off books, no problems, so it can be done amicably.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Get an engineers report on the damage.
    Show it to them
    Tell them this is what you rewquire.
    If they refuse.
    Go to a solicitor and let them they will have to foot that bill as well if they dont sort the issue immediatly ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

WRT the engineers report - I have a written assesment from the first panel beater (who I have agreed to go with). This document was shown to the other driver yesterday when we met.

Solicitor not needed as we have the insurance company route

kbannon wrote: »
    WRT the engineers report - I have a written assesment from the first panel beater (who I have agreed to go with). This document was shown to the other driver yesterday when we met.

Solicitor not needed as we have the insurance company route

I had a "Prang" with a female driver a few years ago where she rear ended my car.I got out and went back to her and asked if she was ok.
    She said I am thanks but sorry for hitting your car"
    We went to the front of her car and looked at it, thn looked at mine which she had pushed the rear of the car about 2 feet into the boot. I asked her if she was gonna pay for the damage to my car. She said. " I will of course if you pay for mine" :eek:

Bloody hell, I knew i was up against it then.
    anyhow. Got a phone call from her that night saying send her the estimate from my bodyshop and she would send him a check next day to cover damage. Never happened :mad:
    Got the estimate from the bodyshop for €2.7K.
    I still had to get an engineers report. All i am saying to you is get an engineers report as to what needs to be done. Youy cannot argue with his decision as he knows best.

Reason I said about solicitor was simply to push them for the money before it ens up costing them more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

kbannon wrote: »
    Should I just give an ultimatum - agree to pay the price the 1st oultet quoted or go through insurance?

Yes.

(We have insurers, so as you rightly point out there is no need for engineers, solicitors, etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You could have just told them your motor insurers would handle it. Instead, as a reasonable person, you entertained the guilty party to try and find a solution that would suit them better. That hasn't worked out for you
    maidhc wrote: »
    Yes.

(We have insurers, so as you rightly point out there is no need for engineers, solicitors, etc.)

+1

Ultimatum and if unsolved by then, let your insurer handle it. All hassle gone...

maidhc wrote: »
    Yes.

Ha.
    I agree.
    BUT,
    That would be in a perfect world of which we do not live in.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Not saying your not right in getting the bonnet replaced , i'd do the same depending on the age of the car etc,

but how mad is the damage to the bonnet, is it nessessary to replace it?

How old is the car?

TBH, you've seemed reasonable enough IMO.

I don't know how bad the damage is tbh (in a scientific sense). Its small enough but its "folded". I am making the assumption that the metal has been stressed at this point.
    The car is a ow mileage 00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

Well I think you have been more than reasonable. If somebody gives you the opportunity to settle things without going through insurance co's if don't mess them about...you pay up or pay the garage they have designated. IIRC you don't have to go off getting several quotes. With respect to the bonnet if its folded / twisted it will be very difficult to repair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'd be inclined to agree - they are over a barrel as if you go the insurance route they could be pulled up for the provisional / no NCT thing. Next time you speak I'd ask politely for a draft for the full amount by whatever point and if you don't have it then hand it over to the insurance company. That's what you pay your premiums for after all and if the other guy won't be sensible why should you pander to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Save yourself the grief and hand it to the insurance company now. Employ their services as you've paid for them via your premium.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

You are doing them a favour by giving them the option of not going through insurance, you have gotten 2 quotes and you are well within your rights to get the work done to a high standard.

If they won't accept that then go through their insurance company, tbh I would have lost patience with it by now and done just that so I reckon you have been more reasonable than most over this.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Go through their insurance. Don't bother dealing with them anymore. They are messing you around. If they don't want it to affect their NCB, let them settle with the insurance company afterwards. It's not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You've tried to be nice, and they've taken advantage. Go through insurance now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

Like others have said, go to the insurance company.

I had something similar happen a few months ago, a dump truck hit the side of my car while I was stopped and the driver admitted liability and wanted to settle off books. The truck's owner on the other hand was a complete cowboy and started arguing that half the damage was already done. I told them fine, I'm going to the insurance companies and let them sort it out.

They called to my house three times uninvited looking at my car and I had to threaten to call the gardai to get rid of them, the last thing the owner said was he would let his insurance pay for all the damage over his dead body!. Engineers report backed me up and eventually I got payment but it took around 5 or 6 weeks and lots of hassling his insurance though. I wish I could have seen his face when he found out his insurance settled.

Some people will admit liability but then balk when they find out the actual cost of the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

kikel wrote: »
    Go through their insurance. Don't bother dealing with them anymore. They are messing you around. If they don't want it to affect their NCB, let them settle with the insurance company afterwards. It's not your problem.
    Spot on.

You have wasted too much time to this already. The longer it drags on, the more they'll start to thinking, "Sure, we won't pay this hoor at all".

Stop messing around right now.

Do you have their insurance details ? Tell them you are not dealing with them any more and it's between the insurance companies. And I don't mean, threathen it. I mean just do it.

You went out of your way meeting them and getting quotes for them. They had their chance to settle this the easy way. They didn't take it.

No longer your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

It would probably cost more to fix the bonnet than to replace it. Tell them that you are going through the insurance and they can pay the insurance company back to keep their no claims discount.

Update: rang the diver and told them that they had till 5pm to decide on whether to settle privately or I ring the insurance company. I told them that I felt I had been reasonable to this point and I had already mentioned that I was against it dragging along and that I had decided on where I wanted the work done. They weren't happy with this but the ball is in their court now.
    Thanks for the reassurance guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Anan1 wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Good call :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

correct, ball in their court now.
    Note:
    I had a similar incedent with the GF's 206 before x-mas. I was rear ended. Avoided the insurance and calling the Guards. the guilty party was a young guy (18 or 19) who was indeed very sorry and more that willing to shell out as much as it cost. Whatever the cost, just once it didn't go through the Ins. All worked out well, I trusted him for the money (he ended up paying in installments), the Panel Beater did some truly wonderful work, (showroom condition) and the car is not registered as being in an accident.
    My point is that the panel beater (if good enough) can repair almost anything, and keep all the original panels. This will help when selling the car.
    But in your case, you have already notified the Ins company, anyway they are acting up so I would not waste anymore time. If they were willing to play ball, look after your own best interest.
    Some people just don't know what side their bread is buttered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Hope that this gets sorted, KB.

Yes, you've been reasonable, but some people don't appreciate when you're being reasonable with them.

Hit their insurance; it might save their next victim unnecessary grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I've no patience for ballsology. As soon as the messing started I'd be on the phone to their insurance company and let them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

yep, youre dead right. give them a fair warning but if they dont heed it well tough :mad:.

i rear ended a BMW a few years ago causing enough damage to the rear bumper to necessitate replacement @ 1500 euros.

i fixed it privately with the owner and paid in full. it wasnt easy but i did it and if your "customer" is after saying that he will and is now backing out on this then let him have it his way, the hard one ;).

a friend of mine was also rear ended a few years ago and he never got sorted out for it. it was only small damage but the guy responsible denied to him (to his face i think:eek:) that it ever happened. unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Tell them that if they dont get the repair sorted to your satifaction, your going to insurance. Either way, you will get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭missbusy

You are definately NOT being unreasonable! :eek: and they are sooo messing you about now!

I think you should give them the ultimatum. after all, you could have just went straight through the insurance company but didn't at their request. maybe get a price from the pug dealer too and tell them that you'll either go with the pug dealer or the local place your priced . Their choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Anan1 wrote: »

+1

You have been more than reasonable, you tried to accomadate only then to be messed around. If they dont like your offer, go down the insurance route..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Once they start messing, time to call in the insurance.

Also I would set the cops on them over the lack of a NCT.

• Advertisement

tbh, cops weren't interested!
    ANyhow, I got a call from them a short while ago telling me to proceed with an insurance claim! More feckin hassle now!

Advertisement