Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I being unreasonable or too reasonable

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

You must have the patients of a saint. Personally once he started being obstructive, I would have gone down the insurance route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

from personal experience,
    1, you are entitled to use the body shop of your choice,
    2, you can claim from their insurance without notifying them,
    3, the insurance company will try and make you wait as long as possible,
    4, by hiring a solicitor you will get you cash faster,
    5, you will recieve without asking more than the agreed moneys,

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

old boy wrote: »
    5, you will recieve without asking more than the agreed moneys,
    I don't follow that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

kbannon wrote: »
    tbh, cops weren't interested!
    ANyhow, I got a call from them a short while ago telling me to proceed with an insurance claim! More feckin hassle now!
    I had the same thing happen me a few years back, some woman hit me from behind, I gave her the option of settling it without the insurance company. To turn a long story short her husband was messing me around trying to get me to go to some back lane garage for repairs when I provided two reasonable quotes already. In the end I just went through the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you are fully comp in your missus' car, you could claim off your own insurance and leave them chase the other driver.

My mum did this recently when hit by a Bus Eirinn bus. The bus was 100% wrong as per the Gardai despite the protestations of the bus driver (who had essentially taken the first exit of a roundabout from the RH lane:rolleyes:). She had her courtesy car that day and her own car back in a week.

Absolutely hassle free. I rang up my insurer soon after and went fully comp, myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've heard of people having accidents, calling the guards and being told to 'sort it out yourselves' in less serious incidents but can you call the guards to a situation like this and tell them- 'the other driver will pay out of their own pocket' so don't do anything official yet??

In other words- if you are hit by someone and they plead with you to not call the guards- cos they'll pay up, can you still go down the insurance route a couple of weeks later after having no Gardai involvement?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

cantdecide wrote: »

In other words- if you are hit by someone and they plead with you to not call the guards- cos they'll pay up, can you still go down the insurance route a couple of weeks later after having no Gardai involvement?

yes i think you are entitled to claim upto something like a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Accidents only have to be reported to Gardai in cases where a person is injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Correct, but it is advisable to have them attend so that trouble like the OPs doesn't happen. At least they will have a record of it should the other side start playing sillybuggers later.

Advertisement