Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quinn misleading offer

Options
  • 12-02-2008 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

hi lads,

thing is, i am driving for 10 months now. i am a named driver on my lady's insurance (cheaper that way). now we bought a second car and I wanted to insure it in my name.

so I rand quinn, told them that I'm 10 months with them. the girl asked for the policy number, and told me that it's not the full year, but I will be given a full year discount anyway.

long story short, my insurance came few days later, I paid the deposit by laser, and guess what - few days later i'm getting a letter 'to provide cert for the discount'.

so I rang them, and got the story that 'its not full year, bleh, bleh...'.
    so I asked to talk to a supervisor. he gave me the same explanation and told me that I will have to pay e400 than agreed.

now, based on the fact I told the truth, gave requested policy number (during the first call) and got the discount, can they now amend the premium?

i told them that their quotation was misleading and I wouldn't be interested if they quoted me at higher rate.

my gf works in insurances/loans and she says, that whatever offer I got on the phone is final if I provided enough information - and in this case it's the previous policy number they asked for.

funny thing is, that I went to axa and they were happy to give me the same discount.

the supervisor was to call me back today, but never did. am i supposed to call them again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

try posting in the consumer issues board - few people there with a little more knowledge on these kinda issues.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

[Thread moved]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

go with axa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

tbh wrote: »
    go with axa.

perhaps a reason for this would help the OP?

axa are willing to give him the same product for the originally agreed price. Quinn said they'd ring him back, but they haven't, so why should he put himself out? If he can get the same product from axa, at the price he thought he was going to pay quinn, then why wait for quinn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Go with Axa. Vote with your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

quinn offered me a premium at e1,700
    the best axa can do is e2,700
    do the math

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    quinn offered me a premium at e1,700
    the best axa can do is e2,700
    do the math

sorry, I read
    funny thing is, that I went to axa and they were happy to give me the same discount.

as meaning the two quotes were the same. In that case, give quinn a ring again. A grand is worth a bit of hassle. But I don't think they are obligated to honour the original quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Maybe they are obliged, but how are you going to prove this? You could request copies of the recordings I suppose. Or you could say that it's up to them to prove they didn't make the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Ring them up, don't mention anything about getting insured, just ask for details of your driving history.
    I did this and the girl chatting said I didnt have a full 2 years but she would send me details saying I did. (I was trying to chance my arm with only 1.5 years behind me).
    Anyways, for some reason I rang them again before I got my confirmation and a different girl said she'd also send out some confirmation for 2 years.
    Both confirmations came anyway and neither were for the correct date, and both differed by some time.

Thought nothing of it, sent both to Quinn, they replyed with a letter saying they were returning money to me because I had 3 years instead of 2 years previous named experience!

Point being they don't really care. As I said just get the written confirmation from them seperately. Should be much less hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Maybe they are obliged, but how are you going to prove this? You could request copies of the recordings I suppose. Or you could say that it's up to them to prove they didn't make the offer.

I think the recording option is the best solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Was the original quote you got written or just over the phone? If it was written, is your girlfriend's current policy number that you quoted on it? If it is, then there's no excuse for them upping the price as they should be well aware of their own policies.

They've also accepted the payment you made, making the contract between you legal and I don't believe they can change the price afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

jor el wrote: »

They've also accepted the payment you made, making the contract between you legal and I don't believe they can change the price afterwards.

I was wondering that as well. Prices can't be changed once paid for. However, the OP stated that he paid a deposit, so I wonder where this leaves him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What little information there is on the NCA website does state that payment of a deposit forms a legal contract between the two parties so I'd say, since they accepted the deposit, that constitutes their validating the quote.

If fl4pj4ck has the quote in writing then that does strengthen his case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think your best bet would be to get the call pulled, where I work even if someone quotes you the wrong price in the first place we work hard to get the price quoted agreed with our insurance companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

allright now. emailed them yesterday what's the story as I wasn't contacted. got a rude answer that if I don't provide them with a proof of discount my premium will be cancelled.

so rang them few minutes ago, and asked to talk to the manager straight away. the guy I was talking to, asked me first what is the story and, after give explanation told me to hold on for a second/

long story short, he was back in a minute and told me everything is sorted out and I can discard the letter, and I am going to keep my discount.

anyway, this is the last time I'm going with quinn
    insurance for the other car is due to end of march, and I know for sure - quinn? no thanks...

thanks again for feedback
    m

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Aah, my faith in Quinns incompetence is restored!
    Welcome to the world of dispising Quinn Insurance!

Advertisement