Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Rebuild

Options
  • 12-02-2008 12:10am

Anyone here get their engine reconditioned?
    Any recommendations and how much did it cost?
    2litre diesel engine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

It all depend on the engine really and what needs to be done...
    Crank ok? head good etc..
    Sometimes it just wouldnt pay you to rebuild and getting a second hand is more viable in time and money

needs work on the big end bearing and and the head, and while its apart would be worth doing the pistons and valves.

I want the crankshaft from the 2.2 version of the engine as thats the only difference - a longer stroke to make up the displacement.

Its due a timing chain change anyway so could do it all in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Depends om the block, with individual replacement parts and labour it might work out dearer than picking up a second hand block from a crashed car in a scrap yard. If your block needs a timing chain there is probably also alott of wear on the bore and would need a rebore. There used to be an excellent automotive engineering shop called Breens in Doneybrook that was into that sort of stuff. I dont think there is much of a market left for reboring and crankgrinding in modern engines except for competition. Unless its a rare engine off a classic i wouldnt bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

If it is a diesel i dont really see this as a good idea..
    If there is a longer throw on the crank you are going to need shorter con rods too. If right was right you would also need the pump off the other engine too as there is no point increasing the displacement without upping the fuel..
    Would imagine gettin a 2.2 that was running would be a better job and a hell of a lot quicker too

Advertisement