Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing Wireless Drivers [Fedora 8.0]

• 12-02-2008 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been messing around with a couple of distro's of Linux on VM's (Ubuntu and Fedora).

I have a motherboard Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WIFI-AP which has linux drivers on the cd that came with it.

I am following the readme.txt that also came with the cd. It says:
    Supporting Kernel: 
    =================== 
    linux kernel 2.4 and 2.6 series.  
    Tested in Redhat 7.3 or later. 

Build Instructions:   
    =================== 
    1> $tar -xvzf RT2870_Linux_STA_Drv_x.x.x.x.tar.gz 
        go to "./RT2870_Linux_STA_Drv_x.x.x.x/" directory. 

[B]2> prepare the firmware (bin file) and the profile (dat file). 
        $cp common/rt2870.bin /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/ 
        $cp RT2870STA.dat  /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/  [/B]

3> compile the source code. 
        $make all 

When I try Step2 I get the following error:
    [Sean@localhost ~]$ cd Desktop/
    [Sean@localhost Desktop]$ ls
    2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0
    [Sean@localhost Desktop]$ cd 2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0/
    [Sean@localhost 2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0]$ ls
    common  include  Makefile  os  README.txt  RT2870STA.dat  sta  tools
    [Sean@localhost 2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0]$ cp common/rt2870.bin /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/
    [B]cp: cannot create regular file `/etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/': No such file or directory[/B]
    [Sean@localhost 2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0]$ cp RT2870STA.dat  /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/ 
    [B]cp: cannot create regular file `/etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/': No such file or directory[/B]
    [Sean@localhost 2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0]$ 

I have googled and googled and cannot seem to get an answer to this :(
    Could someone please help me out here as I'm sure it's something trivial?

Many thanks in advance,

Seany

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

You need to be logged in as 'root' to write to the /etc/ directory.
    Basically, you are changing the system, so you need to be an administrator.

Type in the command su and give the root password when prompted.
    Your prompt will change to [root@localhost /home/Seano/Desktop]$# if succesful.

Then type cp common/rt2870.bin RT2870STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/

You may also need to create the Wireless directory before you can copy these files into it.
    mkdir /etc/Wireless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Thanks niallb, I already tried that and have now created the directory.

Unfortunately, when I try to run 'make all' I get the following errors, as:

Normal User:
    [Sean@localhost 2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0]$ make all
    make -C tools
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Sean/Desktop/2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0/tools'
    gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Sean/Desktop/2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0/tools'
    /home/Sean/Desktop/2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0/tools/bin2h
    [B]Can't open write file /home/Sean/Desktop/2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0/include/firmware.h [/B]
    make: *** [build_tools] Error 255

Root User:
    [Sean@localhost 2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0]$ su
    Password: 
    [root@localhost 2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0]# make all
    make -C tools
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Sean/Desktop/2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0/tools'
    gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Sean/Desktop/2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0/tools'
    /home/Sean/Desktop/2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0/tools/bin2h
    cp -f os/linux/Makefile.6 os/linux/Makefile
    make  -C  /lib/modules/2.6.23.15-137.fc8/build SUBDIRS=/home/Sean/Desktop/2007_0508_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.0.0.0/os/linux modules
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.23.15-137.fc8/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
    make: *** [LINUX] Error 2

p.s. /lib/modules/2.6.23.15-137.fc8/build does exist. So I don't understand this error (as root user).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seány

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

It's no wonder Windows is a more popular OS than linux :(

Still can't get the most basic of things done with linux i.e. install wireless drivers.

Windows > DOS > Linux in my opinion after a week of messing around with Fedora and Ubuntu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not really an expert, but did you try ndiswrapper? It allows you to use the windows driver for the wireless device. There is also ndisgtk, which is a Gui for ndiswrapper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,576 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

RTFM. You will probably need to install the kernel sources and a few other prerequisites.

Or, just blame the OS :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,576 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not really an expert, but did you try ndiswrapper? It allows you to use the windows driver for the wireless device. There is also ndisgtk, which is a Gui for ndiswrapper.

I had to use ndiswrapper on my previous laptop (until the next distro release supported the card natively.) It's a hassle to install and configure, and you may be stuck with only WEP security (i.e. none). As a native driver seems to exist for the OP, it's less hassle in the long run to get it working. Also I would suggest trying Ubuntu or openSUSE rather than Fedora for a newbie (if Fedora is anything like as unfriendly to configure as RHEL :( )

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Sean^DCT4 wrote: »
    It's no wonder Windows is a more popular OS than linux :(

Still can't get the most basic of things done with linux i.e. install wireless drivers.
    Thing is, installing wireless drivers for a brand new piece of 802.11n hardware
    is far from being the "most basic" thing you'll ever do with a computer.
    The drivers just aren't completely finished yet. Older hardware tends to work fine.
    People will see this with Vista too as more old hardware will never have drivers written.

The drivers on the CD mention being tested in Redhat 7.3 or newer (7.3 came out in 2002),
    but a lot of these wireless drivers are being worked more closely into the kernel now, so the
    older ones can run into problems - the end result of this is that next year, it'll probably
    just autodetect your wireless without any need for an extra driver.
    p.s. /lib/modules/2.6.23.15-137.fc8/build does exist. So I don't understand this error (as root user).
    Do an ls -l /lib/modules/2.6.23.15-137.fc8/build and I think you'll find the directory
    it's pointing at doesn't exist. It's a 'symlink' like a windows 'shortcut'.
    It's no use if the destination object doesn't exist.
    As ninja900 metnioned, this can be solved buy installing the kernel source.

One thing, I may just be wrong, but I thought the drivers you're trying to build
    were for a USB wireless adapter - are there any others on the CD?
    Take a look at the company's home page RaLink for more up to date drivers.

This sounds like a great motherboard, and the top end version already has linux installed on it in the BIOS!
    There should be far more support online than you've yet found.

You're trying to run before you can walk though. Find a copy of the driver someone else
    has compiled and save yourself the woe. You'll need to add an 'apt repository' as those drivers simply aren't in the ones enabled by default.

Let me know what the wireless chipset is, and I'll have a go at building the driver for you
    if you still have trouble.
    Post up the output of the command 'lspci' , so that we can see exactly what it is.

Advertisement