Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dry suit course

• 12-02-2008 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Just wondering if any of ye have any experience in Dry Suit diving? How 'different' does it feel? I'm thinking about doing a course in April, in Ireland. Haven't dived in Ireland either so I'm a bit worried about that as I'm not experienced in cold water. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Just about all regular divers in Ireland use dry suits... for obvious reasons :D

As for "converting", buoyancy is the main issue, you need to get used to bleeding air into the suit to prevent squeeze on descent and dumping this air on ascent. Automatic dump valves are a great help, you do need to get used to them though, like everything, practice makes perfect.

Don't use your suit as buoyancy, it is far less controllable than a BCD.

The other issue with drysuits is that if you go head down, the air in your suit will head to your feet, this could leave you with no fins asap.

Its a big step to come from warm water to Irish conditions (not only the cold) and a dry suit.

Good luck with the course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I will be doing mine in Norway.

I have done about 50 dives in most warm water the coldest been 17C in New Zealand.

Looking forward to seeing what its like and getting to dive some of the places further up north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Definetly worth having a dry suit here in Irish waters if you dive frequently, but there is plenty that can go wrong with them that you need to be prepared for as Oilrig pointed out.
    I used a semi dry for years and found them pretty good for diving all year round, its an idea if you're not sure about the dry suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheEx

'The other issue with drysuits is that if you go head down, the air in your suit will head to your feet, this could leave you with no fins asap'

Sounds pretty unpleasant! Thanks for the tips oilrig. I have booked the course in April... I'll do the course, then see how I will feel about joining a club & buying a drysuit & actually diving in Ireland more often!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Ginger wrote: »
    I will be doing mine in Norway.

I have done about 50 dives in most warm water the coldest been 17C in New Zealand.

Looking forward to seeing what its like and getting to dive some of the places further up north

The warmest I've recorded here was 18C in a thermocline off the west coast a few years ago... :eek: The coldest I've recorded was 4C in Portroe although I do remember breaking the surface ice on a certain lake many pre computer years ago... in a semi-dry too...

TheEx:

Drysuit diving is no big deal, get trained, go for it and you'll never look back. Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement