Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listening to music while studying: Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 12-02-2008 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Obviously a lot would depend on the song you're listening to too, eg studying while listening to Mozart or Berlioz should be easier than blaring out heavy metal in your ear.
    I'm not sure what to think about this. I've studied with my ipod on before and I did feel it helped pass the time a bit more but a few people I know don't really recommend it, what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If the music has lyrics in it, I'm gone. Can't concentrate.

It's alright if it's classical or ambient/trance, it sort of fades into the background and I don't notice it so much.

That said, I try and avoid doing any serious work while listening to music, I find even the sensation of having headphones/earphones on can be distracting... too easy to start playing with the cord, or start changing songs, flicking through library, zoning out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Doriath

its a bad thing to do :p your memory stores what you learn from study with the sound of the music, so you kinda need the music playing to remember what you studied while listening to the music, which is a pain in exams :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Slightly OT, but has anyone every tried white noise to help their study?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Sean_K wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but has anyone every tried white noise to help their study?

surprisingly no :p

on the subject of lstening to music, sometimes it can help, other times it just distracts me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

It's alright if it's classical or ambient/trance, it sort of fades into the background and I don't notice it so much.

That said, I try and avoid doing any serious work while listening to music, I find even the sensation of having headphones/earphones on can be distracting... too easy to start playing with the cord, or start changing songs, flicking through library, zoning out...

Yeah, that's basically what I'm like, though put across far more eloquently than I'd have done!

Is white noise supposed to help studying or something btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i dont listen to music to distracting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mesmad

i always listen to music while studying and doing homework, i tink it really helps, keeps me sane anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i find if your listening to something new you'll pay more attention to the music, so stick with stuff your familiar with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Yay. White stripes or radiohead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If I have my mp3 player on when I study I find myself turning the volume down lower and lower over the course of a half hour until eventually its pointless having it on. You'll be trying to sort a problem and then you will conciously wander over to your music. Its distracting. Though you could try it that way to phase yourself into study as well: you'd be at full steam within the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I can't study with music on...it's surprising as I am a musician!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

I can't study with the music on. I would take absolutely nothing in because I HAVE to sing along! And I have to tap my feet so I wouldn't be concentrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

The only reason why people think it helps is because it makes it easier to sit there in front of a book for a few hours.
    You're taking less in if you have music on in the background, because it is distracting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

I think its really hard to study and to listen to music at the same time. It's like that thing where you rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time , It's too hard doing two things at once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Listening to music without words helps me when I'm pulling an all nighter for an exam the next day and I just want to crawl into bed.

Still got the As so I'm going to ignore anyone who says you can't retain information when doing so.

However I'm sure it's really up to the individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

I always listen to music while doing Tech drawing homework - I usually work faster with music playing and it gets me psyched up kinda :P

It doesn't work for any other subjects unfortunately....just a distraction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Depends on what im doing

If its something like a English essay its probably better that I have the music on very low or not at all.

Other subjects like geography etc I love listening to music and it rarely affects me.

But when it comes to studying (in any subject) I really got to have quietness otherwise I can't learn anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

i never did it once for my junior cert anyways and i got 9a's and 2b's...but sometimes i like to listen to music to help me come with ideas for personal writing essays in english!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

yay all the wayy. Need it in the background, but it has to be something i havent listened to before otherwise my foot will be tapping away..
    its lovely to have music on while doing art!

• Advertisement

daggy wrote: »
    yay all the wayy. Need it in the background, but it has to be something i havent listened to before otherwise my foot will be tapping away..
    its lovely to have music on while doing art!

grrrrrr your a talented arty person *jealousy*:p

aliqueenb wrote: »
    grrrrrr your a talented arty person *jealousy*:p

HA. I wouldnt say talented at all, i just do it because its easy for me and very relaxing especially compared to biz.Prefer ceol! everyone has their strengths. i do suck at physics.

HA. I wouldnt say talented at all, i just do it because its easy for me and very relaxing especially compared to biz.Prefer ceol! everyone has their strengths. i do suck at physics.

duhhh you have to be talented if its easy for you!...i couldn't even draw a stick man if i tried!
    and you prefer music...sure that probably means you play instruments making you talented!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Me too. I like instrumental jazz, jazz fusion, prog metal and progressive death/math metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I find I can have the radio on or a CD if I'm doing maths, and nothing will distract me, but woe betide me if I have ANY music on during English! It's the English equivalent of having someone whisper random numbers in your ear when you're tryin to do maths!

duhhh you have to be talented if its easy for you!...i couldn't even draw a stick man if i tried!
    and you prefer music...sure that probably means you play instruments making you talented!!!:p

Oh come on! You are probably really good in some field...
    I play instruments but sure who doesn't !!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Piste wrote: »
    I find I can have the radio on or a CD if I'm doing maths, and nothing will distract me, but woe betide me if I have ANY music on during English! It's the English equivalent of having someone whisper random numbers in your ear when you're tryin to do maths!

Algorithms (formulae, methods, algebra, etc) access entirely different areas of your brain. Music impacts your speech centers and such, so not great at all for english or history or geography*. It does however have a positive effect on creativity so it is very handy during your art exam.

*having said that I still have trouble listening to music while programming. All it is is algorithms but you are also dealing with a language unto itself.

Oh come on! You are probably really good in some field...
    I play instruments but sure who doesn't !!

nope i don't curses to my mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

nope i don't curses to my mother!

I do believe it is the male that has the "deciding factor" on whether the child will be male of female...I suppose we do have to give the males something considering their Y chromosome carries no information, so they are only half the man they think they are!(suckers)
    Blame daddy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Piste wrote: »
    You're exactly the same as my sister. She has to listen to music when she's doing maths but she has to have complete silence when she's studying sociology! (In case your wondering she's in UCD doing Arts, she done the leaving long ago)

Advertisement