Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listening to music while studying: Yay or Nay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Sean_K wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but has anyone every tried white noise to help their study?

I think I speak for all two of us when I say yes. There's nothing quite like a bit of fuzzed up My Bloody Valentine, some Sonic Youth and Big Black, Yellow Swans...

It's not 100% white noise but it's pretty close at times. Lets call it...melodic white noise.

I'll put this up while I have the chance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnZdrFsmj4

(the studio version is a lot more melodic...the official video for it should be in the sidebar)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I <3 Meshuggah for doing maths and physics type things. All them polyrhythms.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Overheal wrote: »
    Algorithms (formulae, methods, algebra, etc) access entirely different areas of your brain. Music impacts your speech centers and such, so not great at all for english or history or geography*. It does however have a positive effect on creativity so it is very handy during your art exam.

*having said that I still have trouble listening to music while programming. All it is is algorithms but you are also dealing with a language unto itself.
    That would explain it then

music+maths=no problem

music+english= shakespeare turning in his grave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

sugarman wrote: »
    lol like myself.. I need music there and usually its heavy music.. metallica or the like

there is a very size-able difference between the heaviness of say: Meshuggah and Metallica :)

cant listen to music if im doing a language[im listening to music now so my spelling shat itself :)] at all or when im trying to learn something off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

mars bar wrote: »
    I do believe it is the male that has the "deciding factor" on whether the child will be male of female...I suppose we do have to give the males something considering their Y chromosome carries no information, so they are only half the man they think they are!(suckers)
    Blame daddy!!

what are you on about!?:rolleyes::D
    i was blaming my mother for not sending me to like piano lessons or any instrument lessons ha!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

yeah, Metal ftw!:D

i find i cant sit down and study for long periods unless iv got music bein pumpd into my ears! keeps me sitting still and drowns out any minor distractions around me.

only handy when doing maths or writing out notes for future referance though. get alot written out but probably dont take much of it in

Oh, and I can't see how in hell people study with music...through earphones. That crap is impossible, it's being pumped directly into your head.

Get a cd player ffs. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Oh, and I can't see how in hell people study with music...through earphones. That crap is impossible, it's being pumped directly into your head.

Get a cd player ffs. :)

i find if im listenin to it on a stereo system its not as effective. i still find myself lookn around d place or getn up or whatever. wen its on my mp3 i hav no excuse to move like, and i cant ehar anytn els either!

so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Nay. Its just too distracting

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

if i am awake i don't but when I feel tired I listen to it.
    Doesn't distract too much but it always keeps me awake.

I don't browse my library just stick it on an artist i like or on all songs and leave it in my pocket. (can change without taking it out so it doesn't distract that much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you need the noise to keep you alert for whatever reason I suggest classical music. You can go torrent it, go on iTunes, etc. but get some and learn to like it. I downloaded a couple hundred the other day and Ive never worked better.

*most classical music is out of copyright: artists work such as mozart and beethoven belongs to the public domain so you are legally free to download them in any manner that suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

I think the music of any artist who died more than fifty years ago belongs to the public. I think so, I could be wrong. But can't think of any examples right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The copyright laws start to kick in somewhere in the 1900s anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yup, AFAIK copyright period in the EU is 50 years from creation of the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Yay, but I tend to prefer instrumental over stuff with vocals, particularly if I'm doing a lot of writing. Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Mono, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and the like are all good to have in the background, I've found :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

melboix wrote: »
    Yay, but I tend to prefer instrumental over stuff with vocals, particularly if I'm doing a lot of writing. Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Mono, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and the like are all good to have in the background, I've found :)

Excellent choices young madam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

I approve of your approval :D

melboix wrote: »
    Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Hells yeah.

Copius amounts of Big Black, Husker Du, MBV, Asobi Seksu, Jawbox, Leatherface, Large Mound, Cap'n Jazz and Dinosaur Jr have been doing it for me lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SonicYouth808

I think I speak for all two of us when I say yes. There's nothing quite like a bit of fuzzed up My Bloody Valentine, some Sonic Youth and Big Black, Yellow Swans...

It's not 100% white noise but it's pretty close at times. Lets call it...melodic white noise.

damn right.But nothing beats some instrumentalism from Mogwai and MBV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

yay, classical of course!
    Proven to aid studying ;)
    Not blaring naturally, bur softly playing in the background...... it helps me nyway
    :o;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

Nay, far too distracting although when doing T.D it makes no difference, if anything it keeps me from getting bored so i have the patience to do alot more question:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Some of my inspirational songs I like to listen to kick my backside and study: Most of these are 70s/80s hits:

Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
    YMCA- Village People
    Rubberneckin- Elvis
    Kung Fu Fighting - Carl Douglas
    Disco Inferno - The Trammps
    Boogie Nights - Heatwave
    Hollywood Swingin - Kool and the Gang

People will probably laugh at these songs but they make me study anyway!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I mostly listen to all sorts of electronic stuff while I'm studying, such as:

Daft Punk - Alive 2007
    MSTRKRFT live at Pukkelpop 2006
    Justice - †
    Boys Noize - Oi Oi Oi
    Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
    Digitalism - Idealism

If I'm listening to them I could study all night, though I'm hoping to stop for 6th year, it's not a great habit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jayage

try recording yourself that way it will sink in while you listen to stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I pretty much always listen to music when doing homework.

It is probably bad alright, but it's better than when I try and work in silence, I'm unbelievably easily distracted without some music.:o

I started trying the whole classical thing and you're more productive alright, that's as long as you like the music you're listening to. Tchaicovsky was a fail, but I like Gidon Kremer.

And as far as I'm concerned headphones is a no-no, unless you really don't give a crap, and just want to listen to music first and work second.:D The music is right in your ears and inescapable, no matter how low you turn the volume. In the background all the way!!!

Also, Radiohead, Beck and Tom Waits all the way!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

This will sound weird , but i love listening to really epic music while im working..
    Any ballad-ish stuff just gets me right into it.
    Lately, it comprises of :

Don Mclean - best of
    Guillemots - Through the windowpane
    Rilo Kiley - More adventurous
    The Shins - Oh, inverted world ( ok not so ballad like )
    Rachmaninoff- comp cd
    Interpol - antics, our love to admire etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

um no ..O_o i wouldn't ..just imagine if you get in to this habit , you need to listen to music to aid concentration, then its not cool , because you are not allowed to listen to music in da lc exams like:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mano_Cornuta

deise59 wrote: »
    Obviously a lot would depend on the song you're listening to too, eg studying while listening to Mozart or Berlioz should be easier than blaring out heavy metal in your ear.

Why?

What makes heavy metal so difficult to listen to? I was asked by a lad in my Chemistry class the other day if it hurt to listen to metal. Where did a ridiculous idea like that first start?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Why?

What makes heavy metal so difficult to listen to? I was asked by a lad in my Chemistry class the other day if it hurt to listen to metal. Where did a ridiculous idea like that first start?

Because heavy metal is more in your face, less soothing. I ain't criticising that type of music or anything, but surely its easy to understand how a quiet piano concerto would be less distracting yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The Classical VS Metal debate is bull****, If you are listening to music you enjoy, regardless of genre it will distract you

Advertisement