Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized Allez Elite vs Trek 1.7

Options
  • 12-02-2008 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

I will be buying my first road bike in the next few weeks and I am trying to choose between the above mentioned bikes. I have cycled the Specialized and was impressed with how comfortable and fast it is. I have yet to cycle the Trek but the lbs will be getting some more stock this weekend so I'll have a spin on it then.

What are people's opinions on these bikes? As it's my first road bike I don't want to spend too much and I would prefer to buy one local so I can get it sized properly etc. The specs on the Trek seem to be a little better but I have read really good reviews in the net about the Specialized.

Your esteemed opinions please...:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Much of a muchness I think. Only major difference is that the Specialized is full Ultegra and the Trek is a mixture of 105/Ultegra. Go for whichever one you are most comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I think the Specialized Allez Elite has a mix of Tiagra and 105. The Ultegra is on the Allez Expert.

I've been looking at these bikes myself, so let us know which you go for and how you find it. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Sorry yeah. Not sure how I got that mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The frame is a key difference. The Allez has carbon fibre seatstays that may well improve comfort.

The Trek 1.7 has a better groupset spec than the Allez Elite, mostly 105 against mostly Tiagra. It's also 10 speed against the Allez's 9 (10 will be easier to upgrade.)

Ultimately it will depend on what fits and feels best though. I'd be interested in what you find; specifically whether the Trek feels harsher than the Specialized. Make sure to go over a few bumps and see how they feel- do you get a sensation of being hurled into the air?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I think the Specialized Allez Elite has a mix of Tiagra and 105. The Ultegra is on the Allez Expert.

I've been looking at these bikes myself, so let us know which you go for and how you find it. Thanks.

i have the expert mentioned here and love it, however I don't find it noticeably more comfortable than my old giant without the carbon seatstays. I prefer the semi compact frames on the spesh bikes but if the groupset on the elite is not as good maybe the trek is your man. are they priced the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have the spesh allez elite. It's a good bike, but I ain't going to stick with it forever. I got it a few years ago and it has a full 105 groupset (original crankset was FSA stuff, but got that changed to Ultegra). The bro has this years model and for some reason they have cut back on the groupset, but he also got it for a much cheaper price than me.

Incidentally the new Treks also have sloping top tubes (only since 2008.)

There is an annoying tendency with many manufacturers that the specs are reduced over time (together with price drops.) So your elite is probably now a "comp" or "pro" (only they don't make them in Allez any more, the high-end stuff has all gone carbon.)

Trek is even worse, the 1500 used to be a full-Ultegra bike, while the new "1.5" is a mostly Sora with a Tiagra rear derailleur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Well I took the plunge at the and bought the Specialized. I test rode both the Specialized and Trek over the weekend, there wasn't much between them but I just prefer the feel of the Specialized. Its smooth and I still get a kick out of the acceleration (in comparison to a mtb of course!). This is my first road bike and the first of my bikes I have put clipless pedals on....and I am very impressed, I didnt think the addition of the upstroke would increase efficiency so dramatically and I havent fallen off, yet!

One of the biggest reasons I didnt go for the Trek was because of its wheels. Although they look very impressive I just dont think they would be capable of standing up to the local roads.

Has anyone any tips on what is the best method of keeping the bike clean. Short of keeping them well oiled I prefer the 'caked in mud' look on my mtbs. However I'd like to keep this one looking spic and span!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Has anyone any tips on what is the best method of keeping the bike clean. Short of keeping them well oiled I prefer the 'caked in mud' look on my mtbs. However I'd like to keep this one looking spic and span!

Bucket of hot water, bit of washing up liquid and a cloth with take care of most of it. A chain cleaner and some class of solvent will do for the chain, but I've found they're never as efficient as their makers claim them to be and sometimes just scrubbing them works best. Taking the bike apart to a certain extent also helps. For example it's way easier to clean a cassette in the sink than on the wheel.

You are definately best off getting whatever feels best to you, this is more important than spec comparisons, etc.

Muc-Off is effective for cleaning. Chain-cleaning gadgets are not as good as taking the chain off but they are still pretty effective in my experience. I have this one which was very cheap (in the region of €5.)

The Trek wheels are pretty bomb-proof in my experience.* Arguably a traditional lacing pattern will be easier to fix if something goes wrong though.

*I managed to bend a fork (aluminum steerer) and crack a carbon frame with the force from a head on collision, no problems whatsoever with the front wheel which has been on another bike since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 RiddleCon

Muc off is great and I use diesel to clean the chain !!
    I also use car wax on the frame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

Muc Off can be corrosive do not use it on carbon frames, Fenwicks bike cleaner is fab, it can be used on nearly everything even clothes that get grease on them
    spray it on the grease and throw in the washing machine, great on alloy wheels on the car too.
    On the bike point 10 speed wins every time over 9, a lot smoother change

Advertisement