Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do if in a fender bender?

Options
  • 12-02-2008 5:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

If your in a small accident, i.e. no one hurt, but your car is damaged by another car. should you always call the garda first before moving the cars? this is what i was always told to do if in this situation.
    But a friend of mine was in a small accident a few days ago, it was her fault. My friend accepted responsibility and said they should move the cars as they were blocking the whole road and there was a long tailback after only a few minutes, but the driver of the other car said not to move the car till the gards came. When they did arrive, they gave out to my friend for blocking the road (her car blocked it more than the other). It really upset her as she was fairly shaken already, but she wanted to move the car straight away.

Also, if you didn't call the gards and the responsible party accepted responsibility, but later denied it. Would you have any recourse since they weren't called?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

http://www.aaireland.ie/toptips/accident.asp

1.Stop
    2.Keep your vehicle at or near the scene of the accident for a reasonable period
    3.Give, on demand, your name, address and that of the vehicle owner (if different), the vehicle number and particulars of insurance
    4.If anyone is injured, or if neither a member of the Garda Siochana nor anyone entitled to demand such information is present (or is in a condition to ask) you must report the incident as soon as possible to a member of the Garda Siochana

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The gardai don't want to know if nobody is injured. I would still call them though and call down later and make a statement so it is on the record.
    I would also let your insurance company know (even if the other party wants to settle privately) as things can change and its better having it all filed first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

There's nothing that wrecks my head more than some inconsiderate fool refusing to move their car because they've had a slight tap with another motorist. Get out of the damn road and let traffic continue.

If someone is injured it's a different story. Jeez, this is just common sense. Your friend was right.

Advertisement