Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carraroe

Options
  • 12-02-2008 8:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am a student at the University of Pennsylvania and I am planning on taking a summer course with NUI Galway to finish my Irish language requirement. I saw that the course is based in Carraroe and researched a little on the town. I swim competitively and I was wondering if there are any pools or gyms in/near Carraroe. In fact, any insight on the town at all other than it being very small would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There's a fairly large pool just offshore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 akyle

haha is it that isolated? anyplace to weight lift? any pools closer than leisureland in salthill?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

akyle wrote: »
    I am a student at the University of Pennsylvania and I am planning on taking a summer course with NUI Galway to finish my Irish language requirement. I saw that the course is based in Carraroe and researched a little on the town. I swim competitively and I was wondering if there are any pools or gyms in/near Carraroe. In fact, any insight on the town at all other than it being very small would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There is a pool in the Connemara Coast Hotel in Furbo about 10 or 12 kms from Galway City centre, on the road to Carraroe.

I have no idea if it is open to non-residents of the hotel though.

The site is Here

There is a brand new gym open in Lettermore, owned by the Lettermore GAA club less than 15 mins from Carraroe. Again i'm not sure of you being able to just walk in, but surely they do monthly memberships.

There is a big complex with a pool and sports facilities being built in Carraroe village but the sod has not turned on it yet...

Carraroe is very quiet at the moment but i'm sure you will enjoy it in the summer as there always is a large number of people in the area during that season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 akyle

that information really helped. thank a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

The Connemara Coast Hotel's leisure club is indeed open to non-residents, and very nice it is too.

But the Lettermore one is closer to Carraroe, probably quieter and cheaper.

Do not assume you will find public transport going anywhere after about 6pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

big b wrote: »
    Do not assume you will find public transport going anywhere after about 6pm.

That is an important observation big b. The last bus going through carraroe from the lettermore leaves at around 6. That might restrain your gym plans if you have no transport yourself.

Advertisement