Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Organic rice cakes

• 12-02-2008 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

The dark chocolate covered ones (only a little bit of chocolate on the top!). How bad are they as a snack?

Im dreading hearing that they are horrendously bad because they are white rice etc - they taste amazing so I figured they must be bad?:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Yes, I'm afraid so. Ok, they are low fat, but fat has been demonised unfairly, you need quite a lot of healthy fat in your diet, so low fat isn't automatically the healthy choice. And rice cakes are very high-gi. As far as your body is concerned you might as well be eating sugar off a spoon.

If you really love chocolate, then some 85% chocolate would be a much better choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

EileenG wrote: »
    Yes, I'm afraid so. Ok, they are low fat, but fat has been demonised unfairly, you need quite a lot of healthy fat in your diet, so low fat isn't automatically the healthy choice. And rice cakes are very high-gi. As far as your body is concerned you might as well be eating sugar off a spoon.

If you really love chocolate, then some 85% chocolate would be a much better choice.
    Yes I thought so too :( I really like them especially the orange flavour dark chocolate ones and would've considered them a healthy option until I saw the calorie, carb % on the packet.
    I agree some dark chocolate would be much better for you. The problem really is stopping at one square.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Yup thanks guys I thought as much. I was thinking they tasted too good and when I looked at the carb and sugar levels I knew something was up! I will stick to my almonds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

With stuff like that just pick up the pack and find another pack of biscuits in the supermarket, now compare them (nutritional info and ingredients). Usually they are only slightly better, and I would prefer half the amount of something that I really enjoy than eating a larger amount of something that is just alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

What about plain rice cakes having two or three a day, surely this would not do much harm?

• Advertisement

Same thing, it's the rice cake bit that's the real problem, not the chocolate.

Nuts are a much better snack, or as I mentioned, a couple of squares of very dark chocolate. The 85% stuff is so dark that you don't have the same urge to binge. If you can really eat a pile at one go, then it's time to move to the 99% stuff. I defy anyone to binge on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nuts are a much better snack, or as I mentioned, a couple of squares of very dark chocolate. The 85% stuff is so dark that you don't have the same urge to binge. If you can really eat a pile at one go, then it's time to move to the 99% stuff. I defy anyone to binge on that!

Swap over to Brazil nuts then? How many Brazil nuts are acceptable to eat a day.

Totally depends on how many calories you have to play with. Just remember that brazil nuts are almost 700 calories per 100g, and it is easy to eat a 100g bag at a sitting. Brazil nuts are great (and the best food source of selenium) but you need to be ruthless about putting out only the amount you are planning to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

You have not seen me get through a leonidas nibs cocoa bar!:D
    I adore the cholate rice cakes more than buscuits so I will just eat them in moderation. I had an infected tooth last week and the anti biotics made all food taste of nothing so rice cakes were one of the few things I could taste!

Advertisement