Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Anton

• 12-02-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Headning to St. Anton this Saturday 16-23 Feb. (boarding)

Anyone else heading out?
    Any tips from those have been?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I am there the same time -skiing, but may board also. I was there earlier in the season-great place and endless possibilites. PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

It's a great big area. Easy to get to Lech and Zurs as well - ski/board over to St. Christoph and get a bus from there (or just get the bus from St Anton)

The side with the large cable car seems to be much more popular, but the opposite side - "Rendl" - is well worth a trip over. Much quiter and with some great runs - including a slalom run and a speed trap.

They have a few "off piste" type pistes which are great. Basically they are areas that aren't groomed but they are patrolled and monitored for avalanche risks. They're great fun and you don't need a guide (the markers go down the middle of the slope). There's one at the top of Rendl (great view from up there). There's one which is pretty tough from near the top of Valugga (the big cable car). All of these are marked as a dotted red line on the piste map. Don't let the colour fool you - they're NOT easy.

Fang for a beer after skiing (or before your last run) - it's by the gondolla at Nasserien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Great spot - was there in January. If there's fresh snow then go to the Rendl side and ski straight out the end of the snowpark - lovely little off-piste piste (see above) that had great powder when I was there. Agree wholeheartedly about the dotted red runs - just treat them as you would any other off-piste and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Debating wheter to do 4 days of boarding lessons (4 hours x 4 days = €172) or get a private lesson (3 hours x 2 days = €209, €418 int total but with 1 other sharing the cost)

WillyWonka wrote: »
    Debating wheter to do 4 days of boarding lessons (4 hours x 4 days = €172) or get a private lesson (3 hours x 2 days = €209, €418 int total but with 1 other sharing the cost)

Get private lessons - you can do exactly what you want, when you want. I did an afternoon off-piste recently and learned an enormous amount!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I would go the other way-group lessons. There is only so much you can pick up from a lesson-then you need to practice. Group lessons give you more time to work on the new technique.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think you'd potentially get more out of the 6 hours of private lessons than you would from the 16 hours of group ones. Of course that depends on how many there would be in the group and if the instructor does anything other than just get you to follow them around the piste for a few hours, but the one on one is likely to be a lot more specific to your needs and them spotting exactly what your doing wrong and need to improve.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I would go the other way-group lessons. There is only so much you can pick up from a lesson-then you need to practice. Group lessons give you more time to work on the new technique.

Good point - how about getting the lessons on non-consecutive days? 3 hrs on your 2nd morning for example - you're warmed up and you've had a day to get back in the groove. Then practice that stuff and get your second lesson on the 4th day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Just back from 2 weeks boarding the and there was no snow,
    I know a few weeks ago there was loads of power here, I think we just
    got some bad luck, very icy in the morning and then slush by the afternoon
    we were riding in t-shirts for a few days.

Hope things work out better for you.

The gondola to Rendl....just how old is that yellow bucket?

Karzy Kangeroo was some great apres ski! just watching people trying to get down from krazy at 8 in the dark and pissed drunk was entertainment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Grimlock wrote: »
    Just back from 2 weeks boarding the and there was no snow,
    I know a few weeks ago there was loads of power here, I think we just
    got some bad luck, very icy in the morning and then slush by the afternoon
    we were riding in t-shirts for a few days.

Hope things work out better for you.

The gondola to Rendl....just how old is that yellow bucket?

Karzy Kangeroo was some great apres ski! just watching people trying to get down from krazy at 8 in the dark and pissed drunk was entertainment!

ohh no :mad: I can see all the sun on the forecast but didn't think it was that bad. aaaaghh.

Anyway I've decided to book 3hour one day and 3 hours the following day. That way we can do some homework and still meet up with the gang afterwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement