Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to sell a Merc privately?

Options
  • 12-02-2008 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

A friend is about to embark on selling her loaded 2005 CLK200 privately, probably worth upwards of €45K. I am not sure what kind of private market there is for cars of this value, would she be better off trading it in and taking a hit on what she would get for it? If she does sell it privately what would be the best way to avoid eejits and time wasters and what would be the best way to handle the money transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What is the reason she does not want to use a dealer? Having to split the money? A dealer is the easiest option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'm guessing from the questions that neither your friend or yourself are experienced at selling cars?

The best place I have found for private sales is Carzone, €30 and you can leave it till it sells. You won't be able to avoid "eeijets and timewasters", it's part and parcel of selling a car, though with a CLK200 I doubt you'll get many testpilots. Money transfer is best done with a cash deposit to secure and a bank draft to drive away.

If it were up to me I'd trade the car in, depending on what she's thinking of buying next. €45k is a huge amount of money for a private sale and for the same money (or less) someone can buy from a franchised dealer with all the security that brings. You also have the issue of a fairly slow market at this stage as people wait to see how the VRT changes will pan out. A CLK is also the sort of car that people will import from the UK so there is an added level of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Currently 20 other Mercs on carzone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

No question trading is easier, but with that comes the derisory trade in value that main dealers usually offer. She is fortunate in that she can afford to try and sell her car privately to get more from the sale.

I do have quite a bit of experience selling cars through Carzone and the like, but not at these kind of values where I thought different rules may apply.

Good point about the UK amadeus, that is where this car came from a few years ago!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pricing is critical. Take off 5-10% for a private sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 ronanl

just be careful of bank drafts as there are quite a few forgeries going around its always best to go with a bank transfer.

Advertisement