Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling homesick!

Options
  • 12-02-2008 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

guys,

well its been a month and im feeling really homesick at the moment.

its not that i want to go back home or anything but i need ideas of things to do?

im outgoing but am finding it hard to meet new people?

cheers guys! :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

From a fellow Dub living here, just remember all the bad things about Dublin - the traffic, too many people, the traffic, the prices, the M50, English hen parties, the traffic, high rent, and emm, did I mention traffic?
    Seriously, Galway is such a nicer place to live. The longer you're here, the more people you'll meet and you won't feel at all homesick. Get out there and meet people. Do you have any hobbies/sporting interests? Anything you want to learn? Join a club/class...
    Grab a friend and walk the prom - beautiful evenings this week. Go for a coffee afterwards. There's no walk like that in Dublin!
    Oh BTW, welcome to the west!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

What sort of activities/sports/music are you into?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Go to the book club, I should be there next week, you can feed off my Kildare accent (though I sound more south county dub roysh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Zzippy wrote: »
    From a fellow Dub living here, just remember all the bad things about Dublin - the traffic, too many people, the traffic, the prices, the M50, English hen parties, the traffic, high rent, and emm, did I mention traffic?
    Seriously, Galway is such a nicer place to live. The longer you're here, the more people you'll meet and you won't feel at all homesick. Get out there and meet people. Do you have any hobbies/sporting interests? Anything you want to learn? Join a club/class...
    Grab a friend and walk the prom - beautiful evenings this week. Go for a coffee afterwards. There's no walk like that in Dublin!
    Oh BTW, welcome to the west!
    S***, i'm going for a job in Dublin in the next two weeks and I was hesitant about moving to Dublin - now i'm proper freaked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Just look for somewhere close to your job if you get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

2nd the club or class. Not necessarily that you'll make best mates there, but it will start filling up your calendar with social activities. Did you make it to the book club last week? Oh, and stick around after the club/class to chat with the hangers on - don't just make a mad dash when it ends. Also, what about flatmates/workmates? A large portion comes from those.

I've been here about 5 months now. Rifling through my phone, I've added about 30 people in it in Galway (tho I talk to far less than 30 people regularly, so I'm overdue for a phone purge). 12 come from work/living situation, 5 from clubs/activities, 7 from random ways, and a good 6 I don't even know who they are or why I put them in my phone. i'm def due for a phone purge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

I am volunteering at the moment but theres not many people there.

i will be going to the book club the next time.

I like to walk and stuff.

see the thing is i didnt really have any hobbies/interests in Dublin so its like a brand new start for me!

Good for you being dull isn't an attractive quality:D

MattKid wrote: »
    Good for you being dull isn't an attractive quality:D

thats a bit harsh.

because of circumstances in dublin i didnt have that many hobbies etc.

hence the move and me wanting to start some new stuff down here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Here's some salt.., take MattKid's post with a pinch of it.
    At least your changing now anyways, your getting yourself out there already with the walking and book clubs, do you work or goto college? If either of those is there a social outlet aspect you could take advantage of?

• Advertisement

majiktripp wrote: »
    Here's some salt.., take MattKid's post with a pinch of it.
    At least your changing now anyways, your getting yourself out there already with the walking and book clubs, do you work or goto college? If either of those is there a social outlet aspect you could take advantage of?

im working.

been out with the girls from here a couple of times so thats good :)

How do you intereact with the girls at work? Have you made friends with many of them? How about asking them around for dinner or yadda yadda you get my point. Suggest the nights out instead of waiting to be asked.

How do you intereact with the girls at work? Have you made friends with many of them? How about asking them around for dinner or yadda yadda you get my point. Suggest the nights out instead of waiting to be asked.

its a good idea but im sharing with 2 others and its kind of awkward.

Invite them aswell, more the merrier sure an they get a free dinner out of it! Either that or give them a Supermac's voucher and tell them get the hint you want the house free for the evening! Srsly though you'll get over the pangs for Dublin, sure the West is better anyways!

ah yeah i know i will

Im just being too hard on myself i think! its only been a month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Boards Beeeeeeeers!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

its natural to feel homesick now and again. You are VERY far from home after all.....ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

lol, truth Shinto.

Shinto wrote: »
    its natural to feel homesick now and again. You are VERY far from home after all.....ahem.

like i said before its my first time living away from home so thats why i feel homesick! there was no need for the cheekiness

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

i used to be homesick
    that was a long long time ago though
    before i was even born

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

papagormo wrote: »
    i used to be homesick
    that was a long long time ago though
    before i was even born

hilarious!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Garda_boss

Do you actually live in Galway? Horrible traffic and hen parties are just as bad here.

Move back home.

thats what I'm doing, sick of living in this place. Its small, has horrible weather and its hard to make friends as most people are here for a year or two doing the Galway thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

If you like walking, join the Galway Walking Club. They are a fairly social bunch, and they meet in Tonery's pub every other Thursday night at 8.30 (next meet is next Thursday evening).

They walk/hike every Sunday (alternating between 'flat' walks and mountain hikes), mainly in Connemara or the Burren. they usually have about 5 weekend outings a year where the emphasis is on the social, rather than the walking. The website is http://galwaywalkingclub.homestead.com/.

Reply here or via PM if you need more info.

Garda_boss wrote: »
    Do you actually live in Galway? Horrible traffic and hen parties are just as bad here.

Move back home.

thats what I'm doing, sick of living in this place. Its small, has horrible weather and its hard to make friends as most people are here for a year or two doing the Galway thing.

All valid points, still doesn't change the fact Dublin's a sh1thole now does it.
    Also, Hen Parties?! WTF! Dublin has better ones does it?

Monasette wrote: »
    If you like walking, join the Galway Walking Club. They are a fairly social bunch, and they meet in Tonery's pub every other Thursday night at 8.30 (next meet is next Thursday evening).

They walk/hike every Sunday (alternating between 'flat' walks and mountain hikes), mainly in Connemara or the Burren. they usually have about 5 weekend outings a year where the emphasis is on the social, rather than the walking. The website is http://galwaywalkingclub.homestead.com/.

Reply here or via PM if you need more info.

Cool I was going to be searching for walking groups to find some good people and routes. Now I've got my Island Pro boots they need to get some use!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Ach, Galway's a fine place to live. When we get the right weather it's probably the nicest place in the country. I don't think it should be too hard to meet people, as people have suggested there's various clubs/activities to do, plenty of places to go out at night etc. I don't know what this "galway thing" is where most (?!) people are only here for a year or two but I don't believe it makes it hard to make friends at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

All valid points, still doesn't change the fact Dublin's a sh1thole now does it.
    Also, Hen Parties?! WTF! Dublin has better ones does it?

1. Dublin a sh*thole? In your opinion, yeah. :rolleyes:
    2. He was sying that Galway is just as bad as Dublin for hen parties, not Dublin has better hen parties :rolleyes:

OP, don't just take up hobbies and sports you've done before, try something new, painting, bowling, photography...anything. The reason I say this is because that way, if you enjoy the hobby you will associate that with where you live right now and associate having a good time with where you live now. If you've played hurling or soccer or whatever in the past and join a team in Galway then you will constantly be comparing your experiences in Galway with those at home. I'm not saying don't continue with a hobby you've had at home just that you take up a new hobby too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

like i said before its my first time living away from home so thats why i feel homesick! there was no need for the cheekiness

Anyway Kittensoft, don't forget about BookClub! Next Tuesday at 7:30pm. Bar No. 8. Most of the people at the first meeting didn't know each other so we are all in the same boat:)

thanks for all the helpful advice guys - its much appreciated.

the walking club looks good.

Im looking for a photgraphy club etc to join too! :)

and i will definetly be at the book club though i havent read the book......!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

Hi again,
    If you're looking for a camera club in Galway, try http://galwaycameraclub.com/. We meet on Wednesday nights in the Arts College in Wellpark (directions on the website). There's a flickr group where you can introduce yourself (http://flickr.com/groups/galwaycameraclub/).

Let me know if you need any more info.

I was in your position in 2005 when I arrived in Galway. I found the clubs a great way to meet people.

BR,
    John

Advertisement