Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling homesick!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

I'm from Dublin too, I'm going back though, Galway's too sleepy for me.
    I miss the nightlife there and the fashionable people, the lovely shops......The Luas... Being able to walk down Grafton Street in peace without seeing someone you know when you just-want-to-be-aloneeeeee for the day and have to pretend to be happy u bumped into them.., god I miss that bout Dublin.

Galway people can be incredibly nosey though, the older people that is...... If you're not from here, they love to suss you out ask and nosey into everything....and then gossip.....It'll always be a country town.

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Galway people can be incredibly nosey

we're not nosey. We're overtly friendly to the point of obsessional curiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

I'm from Dublin too, I'm going back though, Galway's too sleepy for me.
    I miss the nightlife there and the fashionable people, the lovely shops......The Luas...
    *sigh*

Me too (I am the third ex-Dub in the thread wanting to go back it seems).

The Galway nightlife is miniscule, there are only a few of the same type of pubs and that's that. The surrounding suburban towns have nothing at all (Moycullen, Oranmore, Tuam) or are filled with retirees.

I heard lots about the craic, etc., in Galway but mostly that's garbage. It's quiet and pretty empty most of the time. The Galway Races supposedly is really busy, yet it was the only time where you see the same amount of people out as you do on a typical weekend in Dublin.

So while the people are friendly, the traffic is just as bad if not worse than Dublin (you can easily spend an hour getting from one side of the city to the other in the evenings), and there is zero public transport in and out of the city in the evenings.

There are some clubs and so on, but they are infrequent and if you can't make the one night a week something is on, then you miss it totally (incl., e.g., the photography classes, art, whatever), there are no alternatives.

For one, I cannot wait to get back to Dublin. Galway is like a city full of those emos outside central bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

well i for one love Galway! :P

and have no intention of going back to dublin anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Ah, shaddup with the Galway bashin', ye were all just spoiled in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Pete4779 wrote: »
    For one, I cannot wait to get back to Dublin. Galway is like a city full of those emos outside central bank.

I'm guessing emo means something different here than in the states, 'cause I've seen barely any emo kids in Galway at all ;)

I have to say, I enjoy Galway a good bit so far, even though it's significantly smaller than where I was last living. My major complaint would be that most bigger name gigs are all in Dublin, and all the nightclubs seem to play the same music (Fergie makes my ears bleed). Def enjoyed myself in Dublin, but nothing about the city really made it stand out (only spent a few days there tho). Outdoorsy activities seem much easier here than there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

tristanc wrote: »
    Outdoorsy activities seem much easier here than there as well.

Absolutely, it's fantastic for that e.g., surfing, hiking, etc., all within short distances if you are into outdoors and have weekends generally free (I don't) Galway is an excellent base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

What clubs have they here, the GPO-full of students and boy racers, Halo- the only one I go to, bad music and pretentious, C.P's underage drinkers and slappers, THe Warwick-no thanks and its a bit of an oddball place, The Radisson was all children but I think its closed, Boo Radleys is also closed cause of the violence that persued in there, some guy had his ear bitten off and Karma which is all foreign nationals.... so you do be really going for the kind of clique you're in and segregated to say 2 clubs....its boranggggg, I cant wait for my course to finish then Im on the fastest route out!

As for the shopping, I go clothes shopping in Dublin cause there's only 2 places here I'd buy clothes, BT's and Topshop, but even Topshop stocks a bad variety.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the two centres are sooooo rundown, the Galway Shopping Centre is really the asspit, knackers and penneys-yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I love Galway, but i'm starting to feel a bit better about moving to Dublin with these points :)

hey guys i didnt want reasons to go back to Dublin!!!!

i like living in Galway a lot actually!!

dublin is smelly! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Dublin IS smelly actually; what is that anyway?

Galway really is a fantastic place to live. As well as everything being (more or less) in walking distance, its got a great sense of culture and friendliness. I always felt there was a softness to the place. Great... attitude or something. Ok, sometimes you have pricks and horrible things, like any place, but I always thought a lot less than most cities i've been in. Except Krakow. Krakow is paradise. :D

It can be hard to make friends I suppose but theres been a couple good links to some groups I didn't even know about in this thread. That Galway Walking Tours looks like something i'd like to join myself! But it takes time to make friends anyway. Just relax and let the networks form :)

thanks Proxy!

yeah im feeling a lot better now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mr A.

Being able to walk down Grafton Street in peace without seeing someone you know when you just-want-to-be-aloneeeeee for the day and have to pretend to be happy u bumped into them

What s the point of pretending you are happy if you are not ? I really dont get that type of hypocritical behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

I think he means that he feels some sort of social pressure to be pleasant to the people he knows. Yes it might be "hipocritical" but most people do it. They want to make the people they meet feel good, so they pretend to be happy to see them.

The guy might want to go into town and not want to see someone he knows... It wouldn't be polite to let the old friend see that he is pissed off at bumping into them. It's called saving 'face' in asian countries.

I'm sure he'd let them know of his unhappiness if it had another source, but it wouldn't be nice to let the friend/acquaintance know that the very reason he was unhappy was from bumping into that very person.

That's all.

p.s. I'm glad the furry lil' kitten is feeling better about Galway now. I think it's a great place.

p.p.s I was only being a lil' bit cheeky for the laugh....Homesickness is a horrible feeling so i do genuinely hope you're feeling better.

yes Shinto i am furry and cute!

Yeah i am feeling a little bit better!

going home this weekend! cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

You're going to miss meeting everyone at the Boards Beers:rolleyes:

MattKid wrote: »
    You're going to miss meeting everyone at the Boards Beers:rolleyes:

awh damn it! :(

dont have a choice im afraid.....prior commitments in Dublin. Friend is running a comedy gig which i'll be helping with!

there is always the next time! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

there is always the next time!

*spoken in a spooky hollow voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Y'see I heard it in more of a flirty playful kinda way myself

MattKid wrote: »
    Y'see I heard it in more of a flirty playful kinda way myself

lol whatever way ya wanna pick it up is fine with me! :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement