Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get cast iron bath upstairs

Options
  • 12-02-2008 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

have a cast iron bath i need to get upstairs, (Before the stairs goes in) and wondering if anyone has done this recently and is there any special ways of lifting it without killing all that help with the task?

have some trestles that i think might work to get bath up a certain height first then push it up to the first floor!
    have 6 of us going to lift it so any tips on us succeeding and not killing each other are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Id wait for the start of the stairs and slide it up myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

if its a new build, why not get it lifted up on a teleporter and in thru' the bathroom window if they are not installed already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 limerickbuild

windows in, so we are too late on that one, don't want to wait for stairs and damage it with.

is the plastering around the windows done? if not, take out the bathroom window and do it by teleporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Ha. Done this myself about two days ago. We put two ladders side by side and slid it up with two guys pulling from the top. It wasn't easy, that's for sure. You'd be doing well to damage it, in fairness.

• Advertisement

Plastering complete so no chance to take out window.
    ladder option sounds like a plan.
    have 6 of us, so 4 above pulling and 2 below pushing it... (2 trusting souls).
    Job being done this evening so will report on our success tomorrow :)

best of luck.....!

hard hats for the boys below!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ennisjim

Had a similar problem lifting a very heavy buffer tank into attic space. Got some 9x2 (ladders would work too I suspect) and put them at an angle. 2 big guys at top and myself below. As they pulled the ropes I put in progressively longer bits of additional 9x2 (held at bottom by a couple of blocks) to give them a break every few feet and stop load sliding back.

Job done and dusted in 15 mins.
    Tied rope around legs of bath (fine rusty metal attachments) giving 2 lengths to pull up.
    4 people upstairs. strongest of 6 of us downstairs, they pushed up the bath and climbed up ladder after it as it went up, while 4 above - 2 per rope pulled for their lives.
    Success, 2nd hand cast iron bath now ready to be put in position in bathroom.

Job done and dusted in 15 mins.
    Tied rope around legs of bath (fine rusty metal attachments) giving 2 lengths to pull up.
    4 people upstairs. strongest of 6 of us downstairs, they pushed up the bath and climbed up ladder after it as it went up, while 4 above - 2 per rope pulled for their lives.
    Success, 2nd hand cast iron bath now ready to be put in position in bathroom.

Success in numbers! Well done - congrats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement