Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker faces match-fixing probe

Options
  • 12-02-2008 11:47am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Snooker is under investigation by the betting regulator, the Gambling Commission, because of suspicious betting patterns during last week's Malta Cup

Taken from here http://sport.guardian.co.uk/snooker/story/0,,2255835,00.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

What What !!!!
    I love these stories that come out every now and then, Any ideas who it was this time ?

the last one i Knew about was the Mick Judge scandal.
    I think its paddypower that have point black refused to include M.Judge in any of their coupons !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

ODD-JOB wrote: »
    What What !!!!
    I love these stories that come out every now and then, Any ideas who it was this time ?

the last one i Knew about was the Mick Judge scandal.
    I think its paddypower that have point black refused to include M.Judge in any of their coupons !

It was a Round Robin group tournament, so there was a lot of dead rubbers towards the end of the group stages. Also, it wasnt a ranking tournament so a lot of players couldnt have been bothered. Apparently it was a major piss up for the week. Tow games i heard about were:

Murphy v Maguire.....Maguire leading 2-1 and at the table! Its the best of 6 so that means draws of 3-3 are possible. Murphy was still trading at evens, even though he had to win 3 frames in a row to win the match. [Murhpy wins 4-2]

Lee v Swail.......Lee trading at 1.2 at the start of the match and money still being matched at that price when Swail 1-0 and in the balls in the 2nd frame. Swail apparently was on the piss until 7.30 am from the night before, but that still doenst justify the prices [Lee wins 5-1]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭reframe

"bookmakers became "ALARMED" at the unusual flow of money." LOL

feckers would still let you lose your balls by bettin on the "LOSER" but not the winner.

The aul spread markets are a good indicator then huh.

Any snooker comin up soon??!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'd take this with a pinch of salt myself. What is it about bookies and snooker? I had a bet on Higgins as part of a treble to win his group in the Malta Cup which he did. The other two selections were finished and winners by Tuesday morning but had to wait until Friday afternoon for the snooker to be decided. I visited the bookies three times over a 24 hour period before they could settle up. Wasn't exactly big bucks either - thirty quid for a return of €272.05

As for the fixing, as someone pointed out there were a few dead rubbers and players with nothing to play for so it could be just the players not giving a toss and seeing it as a week's holiday rather than anthing more untoward

Advertisement