Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contract with builder - should my solicitor check?

• 12-02-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

HI

My builder is drawing up a contract with his solicitor for our extension, not sure if this is a silly question, but should I get my solicitor to check it out before signing?

thanks
    aromamum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes.

If he's using one, you should too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 aromamum

yeah I thought as much, thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

forget the builders contract . Contact RIAI , 8 Merrion Sq D2 and use blue form of contract . Ask your solicitor for help to complete it

Better still employ an architect , with experience of one off house projects ....

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Better still employ an architect , with experience of one off house projects ....

Architect? Would a Engineer be more appropriate?

Mind you i have little faith in alot of them, ive had many bad expierences with them.. could have ended up costing us alot of money only for my father is soo pedantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

snyper wrote: »
    Architect? Would a Engineer be more appropriate?

no

• Advertisement

do architects have structural indemnity insurance now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

do architects have structural indemnity insurance now?
    Its nothing got to do with PI (structural or otherwise), its a contract not certification.

Even if it was certification there might not be a structural issue, so an architect would be better.

Mellor wrote: »
    Its nothing got to do with PI (structural or otherwise), its a contract not certification.

Even if it was certification there might not be a structural issue, so an architect would be better.

Perhaps im not clear as to the reason for the contract..

If its regarding design and layout, yes id imagine the architect...

But if its regarding the contract itself and the details of the finishes - that would be an architect too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Perhaps im not clear as to the reason for the contract..

If its regarding design and layout, yes id imagine the architect...

But if its regarding the contract itself and the details of the finishes - that would be an architect too?
    Thats the contract I was talking about. Its a contract between the client and the contracter. Sets out everything regarding construction of the job (not design). Somebody is often involved to act on the clients behalf, releasing payments etc. This person is often an architect as they are very familar with the process, RIAI standard forms etc. It is a legal agreement between contractor and client, he architect is just a medium.
    This is what is normally refered to as "the contract". There could possibably be a contract between the client and architect regarding design brief, but that is different all together

Ok, i was unfamiliar with this role of the architect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Hi

in a similar position to the OP, but my builder is proposing the Law Society / CIF building agreement, 2001 edition. Is there anything to watch out for in this Contract, or is it generally considered to be fair and reasonable to all concerned?

Advertisement