Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

change of ownership on an Irish car ...true or falce?

Options
  • 12-02-2008 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Just something that came to my attention over the weekend and I wonder is this true or not.
    If you have an Irish regestered car (pre july 08) and sell the car after july 08, to an Irish resident, the new tax laws apply??
    This is a qoute I got from a person today:

"With respect to car registration there are two things happening at the end of June. One in relation to the registration of a car for the first time in EIRE, which will have an impact on VRT and motor tax and two the registration of a car registered in EIRE prior to June 2008 due to change of ownership.
    With respect to option one its clear, however with respect to option two a car registered in EIRE prior to the end of June but which changes hands within EIRE post June will incur a change in the road tax being levied on that vehicle inline with the new bands. A car registered in EIRE prior to the end of June but which does not changes hands within EIRE post June will not incur a change to road tax."

is this true or not??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Might be "falce" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

new tax/vrt rates apply for vehicles being registered for the first time in the state after july 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

cashmni1 wrote: »
    This is a qoute I got from a person today:

which person/authority would that have been ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

peasant wrote: »
    which person/authority would that have been ?

An induvidual who I had an arguement with about the topic and who claims that this info is from a gov. website .
    I wouldn't put it past the same induvidual to "extend" the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd like that - I'd "sell" my car to my wife and the road tax would drop a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I don't think that is the case.

But, I know some groups are lobbying to change the rules so that each individual motorist can choose whether existing cars stay on the current scheme, or move onto the new one. Effectively, this means cars registered before June can be taxed at whichever rate is cheapest for that particular car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

prospect wrote: »

But, I know some groups are lobbying to change the rules so that each individual motorist can choose whether existing cars stay on the current scheme, or move onto the new one. Effectively, this means cars registered before June can be taxed at whichever rate is cheapest for that particular car.

I was wondering if that would be the case at some stage - would definitely like that, as I think my tax would go from 600 to under 200. That would make it that little less uncompetitive against an imported car if I wanted to sell it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I hope that they make it possible to voluntarily sign up for the new rates for already registered cars. Would make sense really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

prospect wrote: »

Some Green Party fella on Questions and Answers the RTE the other night (Eamon Ryan..??) seemed to be leaving the door open for something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It would encourage those buyers in the 2nd hand market to choose "Green" cars. From that point of view Gormley should feel it fits within his party ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

Folks the idea of people being able to choose which tax regime applies to their car is pretty unlikely to happen. Remember that one of the statements on this was that it was expected to be revenue neutral? It certainly wouldn't be if you let people pick the cheapest option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

that's rubbish

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

steve06 wrote: »
    that's rubbish

Glad you cleared up that then.

Do you mean the idea of signing up to the emission rated tax or the rejection of the possibility of it?

I think it could be done, particularly where emission figures are available for the vehicle.

Advertisement