Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connells Bar/Documentary on RTE1

Options
  • 12-02-2008 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Anyone get a chance to watch it last night?

Didnt think many people came out well from it...the family, the solicitor and even the StVdeP...i guess these things are murky auld affairs, partic when money comes into it and 'land'...

interesting enough program, though one would have to ask why was it hyped so much, and indeed a one-off special...didnt realise that all of that legal stuff went on in the background to that extent!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Gah totally forgot about it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

watched most of it and thought it was really interesting!
    however i missed the first ten minutes so i didnt understand the exact relationships between maureen and the american family (o connell). was maureen american?
    who can clear it up for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Didnt think many people came out well from it...the family, the solicitor and even the StVdeP...i guess these things are murky auld affairs, partic when money comes into it and 'land'...

Agreed. All 3 parties came across very badly. About the only person to emerge with any dignity was the lady running the nursing home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

the american lady's husband was maureen's brother. they moved back from the states where he had emigrated to in the 80s and lived down in woodquay near waterside. odd neighbours according to a pal of mine. i remem seeing them around from time to time, nvr made the connection between the two tho back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

God knows what the solicitor told her to put in her will (re SVP). Interesting to hear at the end that he is still in possession of €4 million (yet to be divided out after he takes his cut)...as usual, solicitors are the only real winners in a case like this...

SVP didn't do too badly either obviously

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

i though the american was married to the nephew of the owner of the pub who also was american by the sound of his accent. His father was the pub owners brother who I assume emigrated to the States ?
    It was a well made documentary in my opinion but felt sorry for the guy that died from hypothermia. V sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

nope that was his mother! he her son, the brother her husband etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Nice bit of Business from the guy who was leasing the Pub, 3 Million to vacate his Lease.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I watched it and while it was very interesting it did kind of make for chilling viewing too. A bit unnerving to think that only a few years ago a daily patron of a city centre pub died upstairs in it of hypothermia and went unnoticed for almost a week. The whole thing cast a poor reflection over everyone involved but Maureen and Paddy.
    One thing I didn't quite catch and was wondering about : The Man from the SVdeP said that when the will was being drawn up he recieved a phone call from the solicitor enquiring as to whether they'd be able to care for the friend of someone who wanted to leave them property. Did this mean that them providing for Paddys welfare was a stipulated condition of the will ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

what I didn't understand was why she didn't leave Paddy enough money to take care of himself?

A very good documentary though! Hope they repeat it, I missed the first 10 minutes or so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Was watching Lost.

Is it going to be repeated??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I can't get TV in my flat (no aerial :( ) - is there any other way to see it?

Advertisement