Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who bowls, and where?

Options
  • 12-02-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Also how often?

I used to be a league bowler in the Stand Bowl, in my mid teens. Looking to take up the sport again, and will probably bowl in ALSAA. My aim would be an average of 160 and work from there!

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My peak was late teens, early twenties but then life took over. I'm looking to get involved in the next league that starts in June in my local Bowling alley, here in East Anglia :)

To start off with I'd be happy with a 150 average but would like to build that to 170 within one month and then look for a 200 average after that. Roll on June! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

r3nu4l wrote: »
    170 within one month and then look for a 200 average after that. Roll on June! :)

So you're a proper bowler! Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Magic Pips wrote: »
    Also how often?

I used to be a league bowler in the Stand Bowl, in my mid teens. Looking to take up the sport again, and will probably bowl in ALSAA. My aim would be an average of 160 and work from there!

Anyone else?

What league or night did you bowl ??? What was the name of your team??

bbability wrote: »
    What league or night did you bowl ??? What was the name of your team??
    long time ago, i can't remember the name of the team, i bowled with my dad midweek, i remember a few names of people down there... brenda, donna and ian brady, There was another family, i think alan was the younger brother, class bowler - i bowled with his older brother whose name escapes me, top man though. Then there was Barry, very high spin spectacular bowler.

Err... i think that's all i can remember for now... as i said it was a long time ago

So you're a proper bowler!

Ha ha, nah, these days I'm not a proper bowler at all, at one time I used to practice about 4 hours a week and play in leagues every Tuesday and Saturday, as well as the odd inter-house competition. :) These days I don't get to bowl even one tenth as much as I'd like to. Once this league starts up I'll be flying :)

• Advertisement

Jaysus, 2 replies in one minute!! What's this, the new After Hours??? :D

Ha ha, nah, these days I'm not a proper bowler at all, at one time I used to practice about 4 hours a week and play in leagues every Tuesday and Saturday, as well as the odd inter-house competition. :) These days I don't get to bowl even one tenth as much as I'd like to. Once this league starts up I'll be flying :)

Well i've been meaning to get back into bowling in a big way for the past 2 years, life just kept getting in the way. Over the next month things will settle down and i'll get out to Del in ALSAA for a new ball, roll on next week (boom boom)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I've never actually bowled in a league before or a tournament for that matter, but I do have my own cool purple ball :) Must see what the story is with league in Oranmore bowling club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

long time ago, i can't remember the name of the team, i bowled with my dad midweek, i remember a few names of people down there... brenda, donna and ian brady, There was another family, i think alan was the younger brother, class bowler - i bowled with his older brother whose name escapes me, top man though. Then there was Barry, very high spin spectacular bowler.

Err... i think that's all i can remember for now... as i said it was a long time ago

Donna and Ian were owners kids. The Alan your referring to is Alan Bride. His Brother's name is Ian. Ian had alot more potential to his little bro. Pity he never got into it the way Alan did. And as for the last name you mention ;) Barry had it all. The gift of the gab the talent just wonder if he still bowls??Last I heard he was in hot water with the ITBA. Always a good laugh at the back of it all.

There is some of the old crew from the Strand Bowling in Alsaa. Brendan actually bowls in alsaa along with a few others. Philip O Meara was also bowling in Alsaa the last I heard. Now there was a young fella (at the time) who had alot of potential too.

And as for the last name you mention ;) Barry had it all.

And what might your name be? I'm Ian by the way, i guess Ian's and bowling go well together!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

i guess Ian's and bowling go well together!:rolleyes:

Must do, one of the sons of the owner of XL Bowl (Superdome) is called Ian :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sonnet

Donna and Ian were owners kids. The Alan your referring to is Alan Bride. His Brother's name is Ian. Ian had alot more potential to his little bro. Pity he never got into it the way Alan did. And as for the last name you mention ;) Barry had it all. The gift of the gab the talent just wonder if he still bowls??Last I heard he was in hot water with the ITBA. Always a good laugh at the back of it all.

There is some of the old crew from the Strand Bowling in Alsaa. Brendan actually bowls in alsaa along with a few others. Philip O Meara was also bowling in Alsaa the last I heard. Now there was a young fella (at the time) who had alot of potential too.
    You must have bowled in the Strand bowl, later to be known as the Metro bowl. I use to bowl there too. If you were to get back into it again you should take it back up in ALSAA. It has a very similar atmosphere to the Strand/Metro bowl. There's a very good coach there called Fergal who use to bowl/ coach in the Stran/Metro bowl

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

How much would coaching generally cost??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I had coaching in Hong Kong mdwexford, it was about 100 euros for about five one hour lessons, but I'm pretty sure it's more expensive over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sonnet

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    I had coaching in Hong Kong mdwexford, it was about 100 euros for about five one hour lessons, but I'm pretty sure it's more expensive over here.
    The lessons would be around the same price over here. It depends on the coach that you go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ok, cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 WildFox

I used to bowl but then life took over. Im trying to get back into it myself now but its harder now when you are busy and dont have the time anymore. When I bowled I started in Bray and then moved to Stillorgan, but now I dont bowl anywhere at all

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Bowls in: K bowl Naas-New centre only few months old
    Best Game: 228
    Average: dunno Have bowled about 10-15 times ever

Does the newbridge centre run any bowling leagues? With a high score of 228 joining a league would help you capture higher scores thanks to the hints and tips you pick up. If they have bowling coaches then that's even better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Does the newbridge centre run any bowling leagues? With a high score of 228 joining a league would help you capture higher scores thanks to the hints and tips you pick up. If they have bowling coaches then that's even better.

yeah they started leagues tonight but you need a team of 5, and 3 players play each week. I asked them about doubles tournaments and they said they might have them soon. It's definitely something I'd be Interested in. They have a bowling coach there too but I dont think I'd go as far as getting lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Barry Foley

Hey Barry Foley here, bowling very well at the minute. I'm still the spin spectular master. Who are you bunch of dick smokers anyway??

Hey Barry Foley here, bowling very well at the minute. I'm still the spin spectular master. Who are you bunch of dick smokers anyway??

Tone down the language please Barry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Monday 4's???

Advertisement