Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just put my d up on daft, what should i look for?

Options
  • 12-02-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

I just put up my ad on daft for renting a room in my house. Is there anything in particular i should ask or look for if and when someone comes to view?.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I tend to ask people if they're seeing somebody because otherwise your apartment for two could become an apartment for three very quickly. I'd also ask if they spend a lot of time at home in the evenings or do they tend to go out a lot. This can be both a positive and negative - somebody who's on the piss til 2am during the week mightn't be good for you but on the other hand I lived with a lovely Chinese couple before but they were always in the apartment. Anytime I came home they were sitting there watching TV so they'd always decided what was on etc. Having the place to yourself sometimes is important I've found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Loads! I've been renting rooms in my house for a few years and I'm still realising that there's stuff I need to ask and specify to prospective tenants before they move in. Some of my tips would be:

- Ask if they have partners and specify if the partners can stay overnight, and if so how often they can stay.
    - Ask are they clean and have they the ability to wash dishes / hoover / clean bathroom etc on a regular basis.
    - How long they intend to stay and if they are working.

I think more importantly you need to specify your conditions, such as:

- Deposit required and 4 weeks minimum notice required when leaving.
    - Deposit can not be final month's rent.
    - Rent to be paid on time every month e.g. on the 1st for the month ahead.
    - What the bills are and that they must be paid in full when they arrive.
    - Place to be cleaned regularly.
    - Anything broken must be paid for.
    - Use of shared facilities such as dvd/tv - no-one to hog them all the time

etc etc.....

Gd luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    - Ask if they have partners and specify if the partners can stay overnight, and if so how often they can stay.
    - Ask are they clean and have they the ability to wash dishes / hoover / clean bathroom etc on a regular basis.
    - How long they intend to stay and if they are working.
    All good stuff. It may also be worth asking where they're from. Young Irish guys from outside of Dublin tend to work their asses off in Dublin all week, go out for a few drinks on Thursday night and then get the train home on Friday evening, giving you the weekend to yourself.

Perhaps also find out where they're working - someone who works very close may be there all the time because they have no commuting to do, but someone who lives miles away may only come home in the evening to make dinner, create a mess and go to bed.

Advertisement