Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you charge customers for paying by Credit Card?

• 12-02-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I've just recently bought tickets with Ryanair who charged me for paying with a standard credit card. I thought this was illegal which got me thinking, can I charge people for the privilige of paying me by credit card online?

If I offer a product via my company site, can I charge people the 3% or whatever I am levied with?

Any advice on this would be great, any resources of official sites would be better! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

There's nothing illegal about it. Ryanair are displaying it as an extra charge at the end of your shopping experience so the price of a flight looks like 100 euro when you get the initial price but when you checkout they add on the 5 euro to cover that cost. If they absorbed that cost directly, the price of the flight might be 105 and scare you off.

You have to absorb the cost one way or another. I don't see the point off telling the customer, "oh, thanks for your order of 200 euro, and we're going to charge you for the privledge of paying us". Your pricing structure showed include all costs including transaction costs.

I believe if you do add this on to your online transactions, you'll see a drop in your sales. Make everything upfront and visible throughout your checkout. You'll scare customers off otherwise.

Rgds, Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Tribezz

I see today Ryanair are closing their website down for three days to make wholesale changes in order to make it compliant. Apparently there were concerns over the way their prices were shown and "free" flights were advertised!!! Estimated cost of 25million!!!:eek:

Advertisement