Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Water Tank

Options
  • 12-02-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just moved into a new place and the room can be a bit noisy when the water tank is working i.e. when the shower is going or taps, flushing the toilet

The house does not have an attic as there is a loft in the two bedrooms with the tank in our room. It is enclosed in a wooden box with a top and then covered with rockwool.

Now the noise isn't deafening by any means but i would like to see if there is any better way to soundproof the tank.

Any help would be fantastic and much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

Since the tank is on the same level as the room it's supplying water to, it requires a pump to give enough pressure to the taps. This is the noise that you are hearing when the tap/shower is on. Unfortunately, it's likely to be tucked away somewhere out of your reach. I'd suggest that you ask your landlord if there's something he can do to reduce the noise... most landlords would oblige this request. I have one of those pumps aswel, but have gotten used to the sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Thanks Derek, its actually up a level (there is 2 levels in the bedroom) and the pump when the shower is on is grand, the noise doesnt bother me.

Its just when the tank is refilling that the noise can be annoying - the trickling noise...

Can this be sound proofed in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

There are a few things you can do to lessen the sound ,covering the tank with something would be a start.
    Make sure there is a hole made for the open vent (pipe that hangs over the tank.)

Or a half decent plumber could sort it out for you ,providing the tank can be accessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You can put something for the water to run along for sure and that will greatly readuce the running water sound. I don't know if this is best plumbing practice though. We will have to wait for the wisdom of the boards to reveal that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

very bad practice to have the incoming mains water touching the tank water.
    there is a chance of contamination. ( the water in the tank can contaminate the mains water)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

John mac wrote: »
    very bad practice to have the incoming mains water touching the tank water.
    there is a chance of contamination. ( the water in the tank can contaminate the mains water)

Thats not the only way to lessen the sound .

Advertisement