Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vat on cash sales

• 12-02-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Are customers entitled to not pay vat on a cash sale?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

No.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread. Does this mean that Joe Soap cannot walk into the Cash & Carry to buy something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

what have they got to do with each other?

Cash and carrys are supposed to be wholesale distributers to shops and stuff-you need a retailers card to purchase stuff (though they don't really apply this strictly) They don't sell to the public. Retailers would normally be allowed to deduct the VAt on these transactions.

I used to go to a certain Cash & Carry to buy stuff in bulk for the home. As of late they do not want my custom, the story is I have to have an account meaning they want bank account details and set up a dd. I took this to mean that Joe Soaps cannot then go in to C & C's to buy stuff as there would be no VAT on them???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

There is VAT charged on goods sold at a cash & carry - retailers can claim it back.

I don't think you're supposed to be able to buy direct from the C&C as a consumer because nobody would go to shops anymore. Despite the fact that it would be dreadfully efficient.

• Advertisement
Advertisement