Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypocrisy or am I just cynical ;)

Options
  • 12-02-2008 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I've long since given up on trying to apply any logic or awareness of human rights to the situation in Guantanamo but the latest news just takes the biscuit.

As we all know GWB has invented this term 'unlawful combatant' to refer to civilians attacking the US so that they can ignore the Geneva Convention and not award POW status to these prisoners. So if they're not soldiers, merely civilians, and the rules of war don't apply to them then explain this:
    The US defence department, which is leading the prosecution through a much-criticised process of military commissions, issued 169 charges against the men, including conspiracy, murder in violation of the law of war

You can't have it both ways guys - either they are POWs or not. You apply all POW rights and duties or none.

IMO anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well they know they can get away with it.

It may effect the relationship between the EU and US, but thats a pretty unlikely.

I reckon they (the US) see no consequences, and know they can do what they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I read the other day that one of the "war crimes" was committed by a Afghani that was 15 yo at the time. His crime? He killed an American soldier with a grenade...in the middle of a battle. Of course putting him on trial, as a child soldier, with the possiblity of a death sentence is a crime of the international law variety itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Macros42 wrote: »
    I've long since given up on trying to apply any logic or awareness of human rights to the situation in Guantanamo but the latest news just takes the biscuit.

As we all know GWB has invented this term 'unlawful combatant' to refer to civilians attacking the US so that they can ignore the Geneva Convention and not award POW status to these prisoners. So if they're not soldiers, merely civilians, and the rules of war don't apply to them then explain this:

You can't have it both ways guys - either they are POWs or not. You apply all POW rights and duties or none.

IMO anyway.

I think the "unlawful combatant" schtick was debunked years ago. There is no such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

sovtek wrote: »
    I think the "unlawful combatant" schtick was debunked years ago. There is no such thing.

Indeed, many including myself made posts about it when it first arose. The G.C. has very carefully considered wording on pretty much most things. Anyone who does not fall under specific categories of classification regarding prisoner status arrives at a default status - so crafted to take into account the likes of militias and resistance group or what-not that may be fighting for one power or another during a conflict.

Thus claims that the GC does not apply is essentially gross abuse and willfull ignorance of international treatise that will have serious repercussions for years to come. We've already seen the Russians, Israelis (and Iranians to a lesser extent) using similar excuses in regards their own actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There is no such thing under international law. But the US government and military stick to it. It is how they justify internment in Guantanamo and the use of military tribunals, lack of habeus corpos, lack of discovery etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I read the other day that one of the "war crimes" was committed by a Afghani that was 15 yo at the time. His crime? He killed an American soldier with a grenade...in the middle of a battle. Of course putting him on trial, as a child soldier, with the possiblity of a death sentence is a crime of the international law variety itself.
    not to mention the depravity of holding him without trial in an internment camp for 7 years, subject to god knows what level of abuse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

china has up to a million people interned without trial

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

irish_bob wrote: »

Which is no excuse for the USA's actions. Just because there is someone else out there who is worse, doesn't make the US any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

wes wrote: »

It may effect the relationship between the EU and US, but thats a pretty unlikely.

With a downturn in the economy (not going to say a recession yet) now would be as good a time as any for the EU to start shopping around for new allies. Course the US would have to **** up an awful lot in the next year or two for that to seriously happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

wes wrote: »

I reckon they (the US) see no consequences, and know they can do what they like.

Exactly. Who is going to apply sanctions on the US? No one is the answer. You dont pick on the biggest boy in the yard, even if he is a bully.
    All we can do is wait, wait for the downfall of the bully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You'll be waiting an awful long time. Ask the people who thought the revolution was just around the corner in the sixties.

irish_bob wrote: »

Totally irrelevant. China don't portray themselves as the defenders of truth, justice and democracy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

murder in violation of the law of war

I haven't seen the charge sheet, but I could argue that if you engage soldiers as a civilian and when not wearing identifiable markings, you've just violated the laws of war which require that combatants be visually identifiable as such. In fact, being an 'unlawful combatant' by definition means you've broken a law, presumably involving combat which could mean war.

NTM

Manic: the point is that the US have refused to consider them as war criminals up to now. If they did then the Geneva Convention would apply with all the rights that POWs get. I'm not saying that these people are blameless (although they could be - we'll never know cos they'll never get to a properly convened and unbiased court) but it is the double standards that the US military are applying here that gets me. For the last few years they've been 'unlawful combatants' where the rules of war don't apply but that that they are finally charging them with something it a case of "hey - let's charge them for breaking the rules of war".

Advertisement