Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have a wind turbine/mill on their house

• 12-02-2008 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi
    Does anyone have one of these installed? Does it generate much electricity and also was it expensive to install?

thanks
    aromamum

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Very interesting programme on TG4 the other night on this topic, aparently not very sucessful for the domestic situation & the costs appear to be very high.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I'm interested also in this and also hydroelectricity, electricity power from rivers, streams..

Not sure how sucessful it would be very interesting though!

check out these links....

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.html

http://www.stewardwood.org/resources/hydroelectric.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Check ebay.ie atm someone is selling anerometers (hope I spelled that OK) which measure and (some) log the wind speed.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110223192207

So if you just thinking about it then while you are thinking you might not be wasting 100euro if you then had a log file of wind speed so you could then work out how much energy you could be generating.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

c and f in galway have a 6 kw turbine rated for the average household.Has a ten year warranty too..only prob is its over 30 grand:) so easy figure that one out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have spent a long time researching wind turbines for standard homes. They are not worth the money.

Additionally you generally cannot absorb the energy so must sell it back to the grid. The unit cost is not worth it.

The centrafugual forces the turbine causes on the pole or if your daft enough the house make it high mentainence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I know a chap who has a small mill wheel that turns around off the water flow into his pond.He uses the power he makes from that small mill wheel to power his garden lights at night,via a battery storage system that he has rigged up in his shed.

So basicly he makes good use of the pond and its water and it powers his garden lights for free,as he doesnt have to plug his lights into a domestic house socket.

I know its not much,but hey,anything thats free is good in this day and age.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I have spent a long time researching wind turbines for standard homes. They are not worth the money.

Additionally you generally cannot absorb the energy so must sell it back to the grid. The unit cost is not worth it.

The centrafugual forces the turbine causes on the pole or if your daft enough the house make it high mentainence.
    I made one out of a bicycle wheel with wooden blades - just for the laugh. It was mounted on a 2" thick steel tube sunk 2' into the ground. The forces were enough to put a bend in the tube and the blades shattered, sending fragments away in all directions.
    It's a fair bit of energy to harnass all the same.
    A chap up the hill from me powers 3 phase machinery in his workshop from a wind turbine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

paddy147 wrote: »
    I know a chap who has a small mill wheel that turns around off the water flow into his pond.He uses the power he makes from that small mill wheel to power his garden lights at night,via a battery storage system that he has rigged up in his shed.

So basicly he makes good use of the pond and its water and it powers his garden lights for free,as he doesnt have to plug his lights into a domestic house socket.

I know its not much,but hey,anything thats free is good in this day and age.
    What sort of turbine/generator does he use?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 5eanf

If you're looking to save on electricity/energy bills insulation is the only way to go. It's not as glamorous as a wind turbine but it will make real savings with no risk.

Advertisement