Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

R plates

Options
  • 12-02-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Did the law regarding displaying R plates for recently qualified drivers come into effect yet?
    My friend has a test in march and wants to know if she'll have to display R plates if she passes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

AFIK,

If your on the provisional license system; your an automatic fully licensed driver.

If your on the learner permit system; your a rookie for the stated period.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No, the R plates thing is still just a proposal.

As for accompanying people: anyone with a full license can accompany someone on a provisional. To accompany someone on a learner permit, you need to have had your license for 2 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Was wondering this myself as i seen a car with them the other day! :confused: and it was an Irish Reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

msg11 wrote: »
    AFIK,

If your on the provisional license system; your an automatic fully licensed driver.

If your on the learner permit system; your a rookie for the stated period.

Didn't know that, handy to know. Bit of a contradiction though. I mean if you're able to be the qualified driver for one learner why are you suddenly less qualified for another? The joys of the Irish system!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Stark wrote: »
    No, the R plates thing is still just a proposal.

As for accompanying people: anyone with a full license can accompany someone on a provisional. To accompany someone on a learner permit, you need to have had your license for 2 years.

I was thinking about this today and I was wondering what the justification for this was.

Is there a valid reason for distiguishing between a licence holder of 2 years or a licence holder of 3 years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Feachan

Some people can be accompanied by a full licence holder with a licence for 2 years and others can be accompanied by a person with just a full licence of any duration. The reason for this is that it is a transition measure. The new rule (2 year Full Licence) is applied to people getting the new Learner Permit. The existing rule still applies to people who were in the system on the day the new rule was announced. All learners will have to have a person with 2 years experience after 30 June 2008.

Feachan:)

Advertisement