Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good solicitor (bound to be a few :) )

• 12-02-2008 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm selling up and moving to a new house, can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) solicitor in Limerick, last guy was an eejit, took forever and cost too much.
    Appreciate any help, personal experience much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I used Michael O'Connor (DJ O'Malley & Co. Solicitors) for my house a few years ago (based on a recommendation too) .... no problems, and not too expensive. They're at 9 Glentworth Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Who was the last guy? No need to be libelous, just give an honest apprasail of their abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Mr E wrote: »
    I used Michael O'Connor (DJ O'Malley & Co. Solicitors) for my house a few years ago (based on a recommendation too) .... no problems, and not too expensive. They're at 9 Glentworth Street.

Who was the last guy? No need to be libelous, just give an honest apprasail of their abilities.

Please don't mention any names... You can go into as much detail as you want about how they messed you around, but do NOT mention names please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Surely we should know who the last crappy solicitor was so we can avoid them ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Please don't mention any names... You can go into as much detail as you want about how they messed you around, but do NOT mention names please.

why not? cant be libelous to have an opinion of something, i think mcdonalds is **** doesnt mean they can sue me for saying it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

I have bought and sold, then bought another with Michael. I used to work in auctioneering not too far from him so I knew who would be good etc. Bottom line, he ALWAYS gets back to you and he is pretty much always in the office when you want him. With most other solicitors they are constantly monotone and spinning you the legal bull**** whereas Michael has a personality of his own.

Highly recommended, as I said above I have had 3 housing transactions through him and couldn't imagine using anybody else. Am dealing with him on another issue at the moment aswell.

Feel free to ask questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Thanks lads I appreciate the info, I'll def look into him, the last solicitor was based in Scariff Co. Clare, I'll leave it at that, but it was a straight purchase, first time buyers with bank mortgage approved and it look 6 months for it to be sorted out and he charged us nearly 3 grand, we were stupid, and naive but not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

think i know who you mean. would i be right in saying he doesnt really know who you are when you ring? :D

McSween wrote: »
    think i know who you mean. would i be right in saying he doesnt really know who you are when you ring? :D

That would be the man,

Slower than a wet weekend!!

Just cut and pasted "DJ O'Malley & Co. Solicitors" into Google to get phone number and this topic is number 2 on Google... cool...thought I'd share :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

We used Wallace & Reidy Solicitors also on Glenthworth Street last year when buying our house. No problems with them, they have been our family's solicitors for many years too.

Thanks baz, any idea of cost, Mr E i'd appreciate it if you could tell me what you paid too,

Truthfully? I can't remember... it was 2 years ago. It was reasonable though (I remember thinking that I thought it would be more expensive)

Sure I'll ring them up and get a quote, Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Homer J Simpson

I have used Wallace Reidy on 3 separate occasions when buying and selling property. Very efficient to deal with and a very pleasant manner. Cant remember the exact fees but I was happy with what I paid. Sinead Baggott was the last person in there whom I dealt with. Couldnt fault her really. I'd recommend them.

Thanks Homer j, I'll give them a ring too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭dingle

I used Rosemary Rooney a few years back. She was fine and charged a fixed fee

dingle wrote: »
    I used Rosemary Rooney a few years back. She was fine and charged a fixed fee

Fixed fee sounds good :) have you any other details? address? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I hear John Devane is a very popular solicitor in Moyross :D

grenache wrote: »

HUh!! I dont get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

bazz26 wrote: »
    We used Wallace & Reidy Solicitors also on Glenthworth Street last year when buying our house. No problems with them, they have been our family's solicitors for many years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

HUh!! I dont get it?

grenache was trying to be funny. he has since been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Tom McEvoy harrison O@Dowd did well fo me

Thanks Hingster, can you PM me what "joke" I'm missing Billy? Tis OK I found the joke! guess you needed to get it first time round!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

grenache wrote: »

+1 lmfao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭dingle

Fixed fee sounds good :) have you any other details? address? Thanks

Actually her name is Bernadette Rooney. address is 3 Cecil Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 colingmurphy

I used Shire Solicitors for my property and as have several members of my family. Owned by Simon Shire. Found him to be very reliable and reasonable. Based in Lisnagry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 estequal

*deleted*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Thanks lads I appreciate the info, I'll def look into him, the last solicitor was based in Scariff Co. Clare, .

OH FU** , sorry to hear you got caught with that useless b****x,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

A good lawyer knows the law. A great lawyer knows the Judge.