Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo limit on second shotgun

Options
  • 12-02-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi folks,
    Applying for second shotgun for competion shooting only, local FO reconks the super will only grant 25 rounds on the cert. is this correct?
    Thanks M14.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Doesn't matter as the wording on the cert is in relation to having in your possession at anytime x amount of ammo. It's not a cumulative amount i.e I have three shotguns each with 100 round = 300 rounds.

Ask him to read the wording again? this should fix it (do it nicely):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 M14

Fair enough CS,
    But I only have 100 on my existing cert, so add 25 to that and a 100 bird DTL shoot becomes somewhat of an iffy proposition!!
    Not to mention buying ammo in bulk is way cheaper, say 500 to 1000 rounds at a time versus 100.
    What I'm really trying to find out is, is there any justification for the supers position in law, other than his own self interpreted version of the non written down law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

well you could always fire 100 run down to the shop and get more.. repeat. :D

You funny fupper you!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I have 500 on my second shotgun licence-just asked the fao and he had it amended-no problem lots of guys in my club have the same........

• Advertisement

Talk to him, Explain your shooting clays and that 25 cartridges just doesn't cut the mustard, that you would shoot a carton in any given Sunday. Ammo limits need to be justified in the same way as having a gun. Use the European Firearms pass as an example, 250 cartridges, apply for one and ask for consistency on the IE FAC

I assume you've a secure storage ect. in the past I bought in bulk, I know that you can save money, but the storage was a killer it's just as easy as buying a carton or two vs a thousand. Dealers I go give the discount on the thousand rounds also give the discount on the carton Less storage and hassle from home.....

Thanks for the EU pass reference, I forgot all about it.
    Ammo storage is not an issue as my local firearms dealer is also a keen clay shooter and will store the ammo without charge.
    Main worry about the limit is travelling to shoots outside my area and expalining to the powers that be why i'm carrying 250 - 300 rounds of ammo!!!!
    Don't want or need the hassle/criminal conviction that goes with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

From my reading of the above, I thought that he was only granting 25 as it was the second cert. So as not to supercede anything. The original limit still applies.

M14 wrote: »
    Don't want or need the hassle/criminal conviction that goes with that.

I had a similiar chat with my FO, explained exactly like I said, told him where I was going etc (eg not everywhere sold the type of cartridge I use. I also explained that I wasn't worried about local guards stopping me that I could be stopped in Thurles or Balbriggan didn't want to be trying to explain. He was nodding in agreement. I then explained that it was cheaper to buy bulk)noted the fretted expression when I mention price per thousand, explained I could purchase in cartons of 250 but needed to cover the extra loose box, got 500 covered on the FAC, stroke of pen funny thing he did it for the three guns not just the sporter

Advertisement