Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who are your heroes?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JeanH

David Bowie - His idea of using personas had a major impact on me. He had said he used Ziggy mainly to overcome shyness and... it works. His creation of new worlds and 'alternative realities'' (to quote the great man himself) with most of his albums fascinated me.

Jarvis Cocker - my first love! Pulp were the first band that got my attention in 1995. Mis Shapes was the first song that I heard by them on Top of the Pops on a miserable october evening. It was the lyrics that initially attracted me. It was like listening to life. Then the image and the music made sense too.

John Deacon - a more recent one for me. I really began listening to Queen properly in 2003. John drew my attention to the bass guitar and within a year and a half I bought my first bass. He's still my favourite bassist and he's always came across as a nice, quiet and unassuming person too which (provided you're not the frontman/woman) is nice and admirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Robert Pollard. More great songs written than anyone else IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Stevie Ray Vaughan. My favourite guitarist of all time, truly amazing. The biggest influence on my guitar playing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

JeanH wrote: »

Jarvis Cocker - my first love! Pulp were the first band that got my attention in 1995. Mis Shapes was the first song that I heard by them on Top of the Pops on a miserable october evening. It was the lyrics that initially attracted me. It was like listening to life. Then the image and the music made sense too.

Mis-Shapes Mis-shapes, mistakes, misfits. Raised on a diet of broken biscuits, oh we don't look the same as you We don't do the things you do...

Love Jarvis, his words are what it's all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

lordgoat wrote: »
    Mis-Shapes Mis-shapes, mistakes, misfits. Raised on a diet of broken biscuits, oh we don't look the same as you We don't do the things you do...

Love Jarvis, his words are what it's all about.
    This inspired me to go and listen to that song for the first time in years. And I still know all the words!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Mark Hollis.
    Paul Weller.
    Kate Bush.
    Elvis Costello.
    Mark E Smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Ziltoid

Shawn Lane
    Guthrie Govan
    Devin Townsend
    Paul Gilbert
    John Petrucci
    Michael Romeo

I admire their attitudes as much as I do their playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Rustar wrote: »
    Guitar heroe:...Stevie Ray
    +1
    Stevie Ray Vaughan has to be my all time favorite guitarist and blues musician, i love Freddie king too...
    And of course Christy Moore, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

David Byrne
    Ben Folds
    DJ Shadow
    Nina Simone
    Ruben Gonzales
    Stan Ridgeway (stop laughing!)
    Jim White
    Imogen Heap
    Kate Bush
    Peter Gabriel
    Tom Waits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Hmm..I know different people will have different heroes but although I love most of the artists that have been mentioned, I wouldn't consider them 'heroes'. They may be amazing at electric guitar and in that case I'd like to add Brian May to the list. May would be one of my favourite guitar players. But think some artists (to me) can be heroes for more than just producing some good songs.

Anyway, here's mine:

Freddie Mercury
    Tina Turner
    The Boss, Bruce Springsteen

and Jack Johnson :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Jimi Hendrix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Jim Adkins

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Frank Zappa

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Orbghost

2nd vote for Frank Zappa, people like him only come along every century or so.

Advertisement