Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aussies say Sorry

• 12-02-2008 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

Today the Australian parliament officially apologised for the treatment of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the past. What do you think? Personally, I think it's a magnificent, courageous step that can only do good. Should the UK government apologise for colonial events? Should there be a time-limit for apologies? Should compensation be paid? Should I have posted in humanities?
    kevin rudd wrote:
    Today we honour the Indigenous peoples of this land, the oldest continuing cultures in human history.

We reflect on their past mistreatment.

We reflect in particular on the mistreatment of those who were stolen generations - this blemished chapter in our nation's history.

The time has now come for the nation to turn a new page in Australia's history by righting the wrongs of the past and so moving forward with confidence to the future.

We apologise for the laws and policies of successive Parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians.

We apologise especially for the removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families, their communities and their country.

For the pain, suffering and hurt of these stolen generations, their descendants and for their families left behind, we say sorry.

To the mothers and the fathers, the brothers and the sisters, for the breaking up of families and communities, we say sorry.

And for the indignity and degradation thus inflicted on a proud people and a proud culture, we say sorry.

We the Parliament of Australia respectfully request that this apology be received in the spirit in which it is offered as part of the healing of the nation.

For the future we take heart; resolving that this new page in the history of our great continent can now be written.

We today take this first step by acknowledging the past and laying claim to a future that embraces all Australians.

A future where this Parliament resolves that the injustices of the past must never, never happen again.

A future where we harness the determination of all Australians, Indigenous and non-Indigenous, to close the gap that lies between us in life expectancy, educational achievement and economic opportunity.

A future where we embrace the possibility of new solutions to enduring problems where old approaches have failed.

A future based on mutual respect, mutual resolve and mutual responsibility.

A future where all Australians, whatever their origins, are truly equal partners, with equal opportunities and with an equal stake in shaping the next chapter in the history of this great country, Australia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

tbh wrote: »
    What do you think?

I think its good
    Should the UK government apologise for colonial events?

No
    Should there be a time-limit for apologies?

yes
    Should I have posted in humanities?

I think you know the answer to that already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Can they apologise for Crocodile Dundee 2 now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

and budgie smugglers :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Didn't blair already apologise for english involvement in the slave trade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

A future where all Australians, whatever their origins, are truly equal partners, with equal opportunities and with an equal stake in shaping the next chapter in the history of this great country, Australia

Great country me arse :confused: What's Australia ever done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

They gave us home and away what more do you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There was that BBQ on the moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Amen. Australia's like America's slightly slow and dimwitted younger cousin. And why is it that every single Australian you meet outside the country does nothing but complain about how crap wherever they happen to be is, and how great Australia is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

It's great when people apologise. Like the Catholic Church and the child abuse, it's all forgotten now. Good on them. It moves me to tears how brave the country is for managing to say sorry for the rape and frigging of a whole race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Rob_l wrote: »

And the Irish Famine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Jesus, this could end with one half of the world apologising to the other half.

Throughout history pretty much every country on this planet has either shafted, or been shafted by, another.

And before everyone gets all self righteous, The Irish did plenty of shafting, they just did it as part of the British Empire.

Dinter wrote: »
    And the Irish Famine.

which, judging by the number of people who didn't know that, shows just what a waste of time it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Jesus, this could end with one half of the world apologising to the other half.

Throughout history pretty much every country on this planet has either shafted, or been shafted by, another.

And before everyone gets all self righteous, The Irish did plenty of shafting, they just did it as part of the British Empire.

Do you ever get bored of trapsing around this website blaming everyone else for what the British did??? It's getting boring.

You remind me of a couple of other English people I met recently who said the English should be thanked for Slavery because they helped bring the Africans to America.

Change the record.

Do you ever get bored of trapsing around this website blaming everyone else for what the British did??? It's getting boring.

You remind me of a couple of other English people I met recently who said the English should be thanked for Slavery because they helped bring the Africans to America.

Change the record.

No.

Anyway, it was the Scots not the English:D

Seriously though, where does it end everyone in the world has shafted someone else over the last couple of thousand years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

No.

Anyway, it was the Scots not the English:D

Seriously though, where does it end everyone in the world has shafted someone else over the last couple of thousand years.

:D

It never ends, we are all animals.

Hilarious. Like they were doing a favour of some kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

tbh tbh, I think it's a little late and a little forced. It doesn't strike me as being sincere.

However, it's all down to the Aboriginal peoples and how they perceive it.

Actually, I wonder am I entitled to reparations from the English because, well, basically because I'm Irish.

It's only fair. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Rotary washing line.

I take it all back:

Some amazing Australian achievements include a 'Dingo fence', a man who walked 2000km, and the Larrimah pub, which was built in only one weekend!

Feckin' Aussies :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

and the Larrimah pub,

I'm sure that I've had a lemonade there.. well I was only 11 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

well there's the aquaduct......
    and the sanitation.....
    the roads....

ball ox wrote: »
    well there's the aquaduct......
    and the sanitation.....
    the roads....

Aussies being linked with sanitation, now there's a first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Natalie Imbruglia, Kylie Minogue, Holly Valance, Emilie de Ravin, Danii Minogue, Isla Fisher, Rachel Friend, Greta Scacchi, Delta Goodrem, Emma Harrison, Nicole Kidman, Elle Macpherson, Melissa George, Melissa Tkautz and this babe called Hope I scored with once. And they're just the ones I've pleasured myself to in the last half hour. Oh God, I've gone blind in one eye...

agamemnon wrote: »
    Natalie Imbruglia, Kylie Minogue, Holly Valance, Emilie de Ravin, Danii Minogue, Isla Fisher, Rachel Friend, Greta Scacchi, Delta Goodrem, Emma Harrison, Nicole Kidman, Elle Macpherson, Melissa George, Melissa Tkautz and this babe called Hope I scored with once. And they're just the ones I've pleasured myself to in the last half hour. Oh God, I've gone blind in one eye...

Nicole Kidman has a face like a granny, Delta Goodrem is going out with the fat lad from Boyzone, and Elle Macpherson has no boobs :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I think it is racist. I think it is history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are they also apologising for preventing Aborigines getting some alcohol down their necks?

Poor buggers won't even be allowed to have a celebratory drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm sick to the teeth of this story. The Abos themselves don't really give a f*ck about the apology, all they want is more money and benefits. It's a crock of sh1t really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

better late than never,and a brave stand by the parliment i think.

Amen. Australia's like America's slightly slow and dimwitted younger cousin. And why is it that every single Australian you meet outside the country does nothing but complain about how crap wherever they happen to be is, and how great Australia is.

yeah, coz its not like every irish person complains about how crap ireland is while they live in ireland, eh?
    its not the fault of australians that they like their own country the best.

jesus, jingoism is ok for the irish, but begrudgery on anyone else who happens to like their own.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm sick to the teeth of this story. The Abos themselves don't really give a f*ck about the apology, all they want is more money and benefits. It's a crock of sh1t really.

to be fair, there are some people that still feel strongly about it.

while it means nothing to you or i, or most of the world in general, do you not think that if it makes even a single person feel better, then its worth it?

i mean, there are jews in america who are still looking for apologies over the nazi concentration camps. is it a crock of siht for them as well? are you or i qualified enough to belittle something that means so much for those people?

to be fair, there are some people that still feel strongly about it.

while it means nothing to you or i, or most of the world in general, do you not think that if it makes even a single person feel better, then its worth it?

i mean, there are jews in america who are still looking for apologies over the nazi concentration camps. is it a crock of siht for them as well? are you or i qualified enough to belittle something that means so much for those people?

I understand apologies in the immediate aftermath of an incident but decades down the line is a bit much for me. Yes the Nazi concentration camps etc were horrible but it's not the fault of the current government so why should they be apologising for something a completely off the wall regime did 60 years ago? Does Ireland look for apologies for the years of oppression suffered at the hands of the British?

To be blunt, does there not come a time when you need to be over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Rob_l wrote: »

He did, but it was full Britain's involvement, not just England ;)

Yes the Nazi concentration camps etc were horrible but it's not the fault of the current government so why should they be apologising for something a completely off the wall regime did 60 years ago?

as i said, if it makes people feel better, is that a problem?
    Does Ireland look for apologies for the years of oppression suffered at the hands of the British?

i dont know, does it? do you think there are people in ireland that would get emotional satisfaction from an apology? do you think it would put some demons to rest?

do you think its up to you to put a time limit on something like that, or is it each individuals right as to whether or not the feel an apology would be the 'right thing to do', even if it is decades, or centuries later?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

As Rudd himself pointed out, the stolen generations were taken, in numbers of up to 50,000 up until the early seventies. That's 50 years of families being separated for Naziesque reasons.
    The aim, to breed out the aboriginal population. That's a pretty sick policy. It isnt the first time Australia has attempted an apology with marches etc. but it is the first time it came from the houses of parliament. and the indiginous population here DO in fact care.
    There were thousands of them who pilgrimaged to Canberra to hear the apology. They played it on big screens in Melbourne and Sydney. Work stopped for the half hour speech and people were interested. I still dont know how it has gone down, waiting for the press response. it seemed to try to link the apology to what australia can do, going forward, to aid the aboriginal population to acheiving a place in society above where they are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

30 years seem a bit short?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generation

What are ya complaining about, it's a nice bit of pr and benefits are a small price to pay for a continent, well done Austrailia!

• Advertisement

as i said, if it makes people feel better, is that a problem?

I never said it was a problem. It's just not something I believe in.
    i dont know, does it? do you think there are people in ireland that would get emotional satisfaction from an apology? do you think it would put some demons to rest?

No I don't think so because an apology is just words. It can't undo the wrongs from the past.
    do you think its up to you to put a time limit on something like that, or is it each individuals right as to whether or not the feel an apology would be the 'right thing to do', even if it is decades, or centuries later?

Nope of course it's not up to me. When did I say it was? I'm entitled to my opinion.

No I don't think so because an apology is just words. It can't undo the wrongs from the past.

Then you are different to a lot of people.

Nope of course it's not up to me. When did I say it was? I'm entitled to my opinion.

I didnt say you said that. I asked you a question about it. no one is censoring your opinions.
    . It can't undo the wrongs from the past.

WRT this one, I dont think anyone is trying to unright any wrongs, or sweep anything under the carpet so to speak.
    Its more about acknowledging that this has happened, and accepting the part part played by the Australian government during those times.

dunno, I dont think an apology means that all is well and all shall be forgotten. seems that some people do. *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nialinho

As Rudd himself pointed out, the stolen generations were taken, in numbers of up to 50,000 up until the early seventies. That's 50 years of families being separated for Naziesque reasons.
    The aim, to breed out the aboriginal population. That's a pretty sick policy. It isnt the first time Australia has attempted an apology with marches etc. but it is the first time it came from the houses of parliament. and the indiginous population here DO in fact care.
    There were thousands of them who pilgrimaged to Canberra to hear the apology. They played it on big screens in Melbourne and Sydney. Work stopped for the half hour speech and people were interested. I still dont know how it has gone down, waiting for the press response. it seemed to try to link the apology to what australia can do, going forward, to aid the aboriginal population to acheiving a place in society above where they are now.

I work here in oz and the feeling of some of the aussies here in the office is that its that the apology shouldnt be coming from this generation

I think that perception is true. But its not like we are talking about a different age. This was the 70's, as you can imagine, most of Australian current policies would have been well implemented by then. Its the same government structure, You know?
    THe most important thing to note is that whatever we think about it, the aboriginal people get screwed and got screwed and they are owed an apology by someone, andsomething back to try and resolve the problems they have here.

But yes. Generationally speaking, words mean nothing, not to the white joe on the street. But historically, it is at least a chance to let the water go under the bridge and go towards building something solid for htem.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=379155
    Crowds around Australia boo Nelson's speech

Opposition leader Brendan Nelson's reply to Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's Stolen Generation apology has prompted a furious response around the country.

Dr Nelson's speech, which touched on the achievements of white Australians and the need for practical solutions to Aboriginal problems, hit a discordant note for many.

In stark contrast to the thunderous applause that greeted Mr Rudd's speech, Dr Nelson prompted booing, walk-outs and other shows of dissatisfaction at gatherings in Australia's major cities.

In Perth, the broadcast of the Opposition leader's speech was cut as Aboriginal people clapped to drown him out.

Midway through Dr Nelson's speech an Aboriginal woman, Catherine Coomer, started yelling out that the Opposition leader was degrading Aboriginal people.

Ms Coomer stood up and turned her back to the screen, and the crowd then began clapping loudly, before the broadcast was unplugged.

Premier Alan Carpenter said afterwards it was unfortunate Dr Nelson missed the mark.

In the grounds of Parliament House in Canberra, Aboriginal people expressed deep dissatisfaction with the Opposition leader's speech.

Many in the crowd turned their backs as Dr Nelson spoke, with some clapping and others shouting "shame".

At Sydney's Martin Place, a crowd of around 5000 people booed, clapped and chanted as the Opposition leader spoke.

Crowds in Melbourne's Federation Square gave Kevin Rudd a standing ovation, but several booed as Dr Nelson gave his response.

Halfway through, the entire crowd stood and turned their backs on Dr Nelson and people began chanting "Get him off".

Dr Nelson's speech called on Australians to focus on the need for contemporary reconciliation.

"Spare a thought for the real, immediate, seemingly intractable and disgraceful circumstances in which many indigenous Australians find themselves today," he said.

"Whether Australian by birth or immigration, each one of us has a duty to understand and respect what has been done in our name.

"In most cases, we do with great pride, but in others it is with shame."

• Advertisement

Holy disgruntled minorities Mancityman!
    John Howard showed up too. He mooned Kevin Rudd from the aisle, but kept his boxers up, because "sorry" was written across the arse of them.

The minorities probably didn't realise what was really going on anyway due to the excessive consumption of petrol fumes and mouth wash.

And that's good Howard government mouthwash too.
    The rudd government mouthwash is harder to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

I just finished writing a large post on how Australia resembles an English village from the 60's , 70's era. And how if you dont look good on the lawn bowls..lawn... or dont like devenshire teas...your not welcome. Even tho it is a black peoples country.

Anyhow, i stopped! Ah well. Maybe theyll look back in a few hundred years and cringe at themselves. Has to be seen to be believed

U think australia resembles an english village from the 60s?
    Have you ever been? Sydney? Melbourne? Brisbane? Perth? Surfer's Paradise?
    What are you on about? Is it the social structure, or the actual place resembles an English village? Either way, I reckon you are incorrect.

Its kind of like..when your driving thru some lil old town in the middle of the desert, and you see all theese signposts "devonshire teas" and lawn bowls. the grammer schools! the school uniforms. its weird in my opinion
    ...im actually thinking of tenent creek in the northern territory here..then you go down the town further tho to see the most desolate destitute peoples i have ever seen... and do you think the so called "aussies" have any compassion??????

yeah ive been all over oz. Perth was nice. the rest is kind of a mixture between the US deep south, and some old village in Kent (if that makes sense) Particularly in Queensland

Its kind of like..when your driving thru some lil old town in the middle of the desert, and you see all theese signposts "devonshire teas" and lawn bowls. the grammer schools! the school uniforms. its weird in my opinion
    ...im actually thinking of tenent creek in the northern territory here..then you go down the town further tho to see the most desolate destitute peoples i have ever seen... and do you think the so called "aussies" have any compassion??????

yeah ive been all over oz. Perth was nice. the rest is kind of a mixture between the US deep south, and some old village in Kent (if that makes sense) Particularly in Queensland

This post gets a big huh?

Hey, didnt you just say "The minorities probably didn't realise what was really going on anyway due to the excessive consumption of petrol fumes and mouth wash"???....this is a type of attitude thats sadly very typical in Australia. the point im making is, i feel the "Aussise" are racists...there, i said it!

Also, since when did u feel like you could speak for a whole internet forum "huh"? (btw, im currently in Australia fyi, and im leaving veryyy soon)

Hey, didnt you just say "The minorities probably didn't realise what was really going on anyway due to the excessive consumption of petrol fumes and mouth wash"???....this is a type of attitude thats sadly very typical in Australia. the point im making is, i feel the "Aussise" are racists...there, i said it!

Learn to recognise a tongue in cheek comment when you see one.
    Also, since when did u feel like you could speak for a whole internet forum "huh"? (btw, im currently in Australia fyi, and im leaving veryyy soon)

I didn't speak for the whole internet, I spoke for myself after reading your nonsensical rubbish. Why you leaving then? Being picked on for being too pastey white?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Learn to recognise a tongue in cheek comment when you see one.

It sounded more derogatory than tongue in cheek, and I think it shows what your real attitude towards Aborigines is like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement