Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

being asked out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Born in South America and raised mostly in the US. I've lived in Ireland for a long while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I think it would just be nice to be asked out :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Sam Spade

SarahSassy wrote: »

Honestly Sarah, if a guy (complete stranger) just came up to you in a shop, restaurant, airport, street or any public place asked you out or gave you his number, what would your reaction be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

maxsmart wrote: »
    Honestly Sarah, if a guy (complete stranger) just came up to you in a shop, restaurant, airport, street or any public place asked you out or gave you his number, what would your reaction be?

Hmmmm, if I am to be honest I would doubt his motives given the number of looney's Ive met over the years.... But in saying that I would like to think I would at least have a coffee with him there and then if he seemed normal (and someone I could possibly be attracted to). I would not give him my number though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Niamho! wrote: »
    He was finding out how much he'd get for games. and i looked a bit rough. lol. see thats another thing. guaranteed to see a hottie when i look a state. :mad:

I've always wanted to be one of those women that are just meticulous at all times! Never happens with me though! :(

I've only ever had one guy try it while he was sober. I actually legged it! :o It wasn't exactly random, I'd bumped straight into him one day and he'd caught me, apologised and we laughed at each other. I'd thought "What a babe" and went on to tell my best mate when I met up with her. We seen each other a couple more times, Eye contact, shy smiles, the whole lot. Then one day I was walking up through an arcade in town and seen him in a shop and when he spotted me he waved and started walking over to me. Of course I panicked!! :rolleyes: I waved back and legged it! Seen him a few more times but he never tried to stop me again and I never had the guts to stop him! I kicked myself black and blue for months after! :D

Of course he did come up to me in a net cafe about a year later and ask me out but I was with my OH and living in Limerick so was just visiting home at the time. :mad:

I think it would be different now, I'd be pleasantly suprised and flattered! It's so much more genuine when sober!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

I asked a couple of girls out in the UCD library, oh the shame!

Kept seeing this girl, myself and my friend kept calling her lollipop girl ashs eh always had one in her mouth, anyway after weeks of drooling over her i popped a not on her desk, she knew who it was from she txt me a while later, but in the end nothing came of it :(

Another girl i just kept literally bumping into around campus, seen her on the bus one day and we got off at UCD i asked her out she said no and never seen her again!

I was in dundalk a few years ago and coming back for a 21st on the saturday evening train and sat across the carriage from a girl there were loads of old northern guys hammered making a racket so she leans over the aisle and offers me her ipod in a jokey way, we flirted non stop all the way to connolly, her bf was waiting at the platform :(

There's been a few times that i've felt a spark with a total stranger whether its on the bus/luas/plane but i'm attached so i never ask

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I was out in Athlone over christmas and the club was full of miserable looking single people avoiding each other....and one drunken sleaze trying to make contact with everyone.

Have no idea how you repopulate there.

Between the nackers and the snobby ones up their own arse and the down right brain dead, there is very slim pickings. Thats why i tend to target the touristy pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

maxsmart wrote: »
    Hmmmm, if I am to be honest I would doubt his motives given the number of looney's Ive met over the years.... But in saying that I would like to think I would at least have a coffee with him there and then if he seemed normal (and someone I could possibly be attracted to). I would not give him my number though.

I'd have to agree with SarahSassy, it'd be nice to be asked out by a sober gent for a change....
    In response to MaxSmart's question, if I may, as SS said, depending on the guy whether I'd say yes but if there was some kind of spark I'd definitely take his number and seriously think about dropping him a line, because basically if he's seen you sober you don't have to worry about beer-goggles:D

at the moment I've the opposite problem - the guy I like keeps asking me out when he's drunk so I told him to ask me when he's sober....but he hasn't :(:rolleyes:

So yes lads I think ye should definitely take the plunge with the girlies - sure what's the worse that can happen??!!;):)

Gyalist wrote: »
    Born in South America and raised mostly in the US. I've lived in Ireland for a long while though.

Ah yes I have you down on the list, You've been encouraging the "pussywhipped" BGRHer to revolt!

I think it is a bit too much in America, well in NYC anyway. It gets really old fast being propostioned all day everyday.

I asked a couple of girls out in the UCD library, oh the shame!

Classic procastination skillset. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

A French girl asked me out there 2 weeks back. I was supprised as its usually us men who do they running and finally take the nerve to ask.
    Since then however the mindgames have started with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

takola wrote: »
    I've only ever had one guy try it while he was sober. I actually legged it! :o It wasn't exactly random, I'd bumped straight into him one day and he'd caught me, apologised and we laughed at each other. I'd thought "What a babe" and went on to tell my best mate when I met up with her. We seen each other a couple more times, Eye contact, shy smiles, the whole lot. Then one day I was walking up through an arcade in town and seen him in a shop and when he spotted me he waved and started walking over to me. Of course I panicked!! :rolleyes: I waved back and legged it! Seen him a few more times but he never tried to stop me again and I never had the guts to stop him! I kicked myself black and blue for months after! :D
    This is why men find it so hard to ask out women during the day!!! This isnt the first time Ive heard this story. Ive had 2 friends get asked out and they were both like "He was cute ,but he could have been anyone, I didnt know what to say", and usually finish with the excuse that they have a boyfriend.

wylo wrote: »
    This is why men find it so hard to ask out women during the day!!! This isnt the first time Ive heard this story. Ive had 2 friends get asked out and they were both like "He was cute ,but he could have been anyone, I didnt know what to say", and usually finish with the excuse that they have a boyfriend.

Ah no, it wasn't like that at all. It was pure knee jerk reaction that made me leg it. I'm sure if he'd walked up behind me in a shop or came over to me in a cafe or something I'd have said yes! It was just the having me watch him spot me and start to walk over *me does weird hand movements* of the whole situation that had me panicking and legging it. He didn't actually even get to me in the end. We never spoke except for the time he asked me out a year later. :rolleyes: I'm done kicking myself about it now though

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

MattKid wrote: »
    I think if you give a good enough reason for taking an interest in the girl (try for something a little better than I saw you from over there and thought you were hot) then it should hopefully freak them out less and make them more comfortable with the situation.

If a random girl came up to me and asked me out my first reaction would be why. If I was wearing a band T shirt and she came up and started saying how she loved the band and we chatted about them a bit and she then asked if I'd like to go get a drink, I'd probably say yes

+1. If some randomer that I hadn't noticed walked up to me on the street and said lets go for coffee i'd most likely hightail it out of there.

However if there was an eye-meet, a smile and then a funny comment about a book I was reading or cd i was looking at then yes i could go for coffee with that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Ah yes I have you down on the list, You've been encouraging the "pussywhipped" BGRHer to revolt!

I skim the threads in BGRH occasionally but don't recall posting there as it doesn't seem like the place for a non-smoking, non-drinking man. I sometimes post in PI though which is where I may have used the word "pussified".
    I think it is a bit too much in America, well in NYC anyway. It gets really old fast being propostioned all day everyday.

Yeah, blame the men for finding you attractive. I don't proposition any one. I just enjoy meeting new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Well I've never asked a girl out in a pub/nighclub or while under the influence of alcohol or anything else like that, but I have asked them out via e-mail and written notes, so I don't think it's really the same sort of gesture as the face to face asking as it's a bit less personal in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

For the ladies i would ask what is the logic behind the "he could be anyone" argument! It's not as if pubs and clubs and such have a vetting system that only lets in suitable and sane possible partners.

If that was the case they would be empty.

Whenever i approach a lass in an unconventional situation i.e. NOT in the pub etc it's always because there is something about you that is very, very interesting and attractive.

The next time it happens to any of the ladies here remember that you have just been paid quite the compliment. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

just back on a computer now!
    lots of replies!

i have asked girls out in the shops whatever.
    asked one from xtra vision out a couple years back, she said no, so i joined chartbusters :)

i went to spain last summer and in the boarding area was this hot spanish girl. didnt say anything, but then when i was getting my retrun flight she was on that too. she smiled to me on the plane, so when i landed i caught up with her and had a chat. i got her number, only to find out she had a bf. boo urns.

the best was when i asked a girl out on grafton street, she was handing out those crap scratch cards. this one actaully said yes :)
    nothing came of it tho :(

i was just kinda wondering what the general consenus was.
    seems to be all positive.
    well say its nots a shop, say its on the bus or luas or something?
    the fear of rejection is then much greater cos it will be in front of everyone.

would you girls feel weirded out?

Dragan fair play for asking a girl out on the luas, take cajones.

aye wrote: »
    Dragan fair play for asking a girl out on the luas, take cajones.

THe lesson was learned the hard way as i let this fantastic looking lass who was just WAITING for me to start talking to her slip through my fingers ( actually had a post on After Hours at one point about it would you believe ) and felt miserable about that so said, never again.

See a beautiful girl?

Talk to her. ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I have no clue as to how I'd react, but then again I've only ever been asked out once...:D

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    For the ladies i would ask what is the logic behind the "he could be anyone" argument! It's not as if pubs and clubs and such have a vetting system that only lets in suitable and sane possible partners.

If that was the case they would be empty.

Whenever i approach a lass in an unconventional situation i.e. NOT in the pub etc it's always because there is something about you that is very, very interesting and attractive.

The next time it happens to any of the ladies here remember that you have just been paid quite the compliment. :)

I don't get that argument myself tbh. You go out to a club, get drunk and lock lips with a guy that could be anyone. He gets your number and contacts you and it's ok but if you're sober and he comes up to you in a shop or something he could be some sort of psychopath! :eek:

I'd be more likely to take interest in a guy who'd come up while sober and ask you out. It is a huge compliment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

see I just know im one of those Girls who would not get asked out in a situation like that. i know this sounds silly but me during the day(Especially in work) and me going out somewhere....very different. i suppose thats all in my head really... i should start thinking Differently.
    Say as in when i was in Xtravision that time, the main thing that would have put me off that was "Ah no my hair is back and my face looks in bits....i look Crap, he wouldnt even look..." ...god i sound like a loser!! lol

Say as in when i was in Xtravision that time, the main thing that would have put me off that was "Ah no my hair is back and my face looks in bits....i look Crap, he wouldnt even look..." ...god i sound like a loser!! lol

No girl every believes me when i say this but this is normally when i find a lass the most attractive. Not when she is all dolled and made up and all the rest of it....when she is just going about her day.

Worry less and flirt more i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

aye wrote: »
    as ladies, what do you think of being asked out by a guy when its not 3 am on sat night/sun morning.
    basically, being brought up in ireland makes you think that the only way to ask a girl out is when you are drunk and in a club/pub.

but i stopped binge drinking about 3 years ago now, there was a reason but i wont go into it (wasnt an alcoholic or anything), and since then have gotten used to asking girls out sober.

so i have the odd time asked a girl out when in a shop and things like that.
    when i tell the lads they always think i'm mad.

just wondering how you ladies would feel if a guy asked you out in shop or something?

A guy walked up to me on the street and tried to hand me a piece of paper saying it was his number if I wanted to go out with him for a drink some time. Now I hadn't seen this guy before in my life and I was actually a bit scared so I just said No. This has happened a couple of times now that I think about it.

I would respond to a man chatting me up in a shop if he I had showed him some interest, a smile or a look maybe but not someone who just walks up to me and asks me out.

Lux23 wrote: »
    A guy walked up to me on the street and tried to hand me a piece of paper saying it was his number if I wanted to go out with him for a drink some time. Now I hadn't seen this guy before in my life and I was actually a bit scared so I just said No. This has happened a couple of times now that I think about it.

I would respond to a man chatting me up in a shop if he I had showed him some interest, a smile or a look maybe but not someone who just walks up to me and asks me out.

Now see... thats what i'd do!! lol. i'm a real straight forward person and i'd rather just hand them my number and leave it up to them, than have to do the big conversation thing. I'm very comfortable talking to Strangers but i just dont think i'd get any further than a Hello with someone i fancied. See ive loadsa conficence but im shy when it comes to talking to a bloke i fancy.
    i did it once in a nightclub, some bloke kept giving me the eyes I was giving him the eyes back but he was with his mate so i just wrote down my number and handed it to him.

Now see... thats what i'd do!! lol. i'm a real straight forward person and i'd rather just hand them my number and leave it up to them, than have to do the big conversation thing. I'm very comfortable talking to Strangers but i just dont think i'd get any further than a Hello with someone i fancied. See ive loadsa conficence but im shy when it comes to talking to a bloke i fancy.
    i did it once in a nightclub, some bloke kept giving me the eyes I was giving him the eyes back but he was with his mate so i just wrote down my number and handed it to him.

Well thats alright if he is giving you the eye but you have to at least get that reaction you can't walk up to just anyone and ask him out.

Well thats alright if he is giving you the eye but you have to at least get that reaction you can't walk up to just anyone and ask him out.

But Why cant ya? i would. but now i see he might get scared, haha.
    god... bugger it. im just never gonna do it no point talking about it!

Of course you can.

I have done it and even been on the receiving end twice. One i accepted and one i happily would have but i was very much in love at the time and i explained this to her as well. We had a good chat about things and that was it.

The first girl who did it we met up a few times, had some fun and now are very good friends.

Of course you can.

I have done it and even been on the receiving end twice. One i accepted and one i happily would have but i was very much in love at the time and i explained this to her as well. We had a good chat about things and that was it.

The first girl who did it we met up a few times, had some fun and now are very good friends.

If they were giving me the eye I would have no problem with it but I would need some proof of their interest like a look or a smile.

• Advertisement

Of course you can.

So if someone was direct about it, minimum conversation, straight to the point, Heres my number, and you were attracted to them, you would get in touch??

should have done a poll to see who would get in touch and who would think its a bit odd.

Advertisement