Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glycerol

• 12-02-2008 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Ok, bit of a waste of a thread but i have a specific question and figured i might get a good range of answers this way..

Physics Experiment : variation of resistance of a metallic conductor with temperature..

why the the frig do you need to use glycerol in the test tube with the coil and thermometer?i really cannot figure it out.. have a few ideas as to why but really unsure. It has been annoying me for ages.

this is a really stupid boring thread but it will help me, seriously ! :o
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I'm almost sure it's because glycerol has a lower specific heat capacity than water.

I'm not sure why it having a lower specific heat capacity matters though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Challenged

Points 1 and 5 in the Experimental Details gives you the information you need.

http://www.studentxpress.ie/glycerol.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 conor89

Ensure that the glycerol is in water and not just being heated directly. The water is used to stop the glycerol from reaching its flashpoint and burning everyting. Also glycerol is neither a good conductor nor a good insulator making it better than water.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

ah i see.. thanks for that. Coolness,thanks guys :)

Advertisement