Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

final yr sociology-quant research methods

Options
  • 12-02-2008 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Anyone one else lost in this module or am i the only one? Missed the first few lectures/workshops... what's the research project we're meant to be doing??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Hey man, did this module last year.

If this is the same one then ya shud be using a book by Babbie, called something like how to use SPSS or something, and using the SPSS programme am i right?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

I've only missed one workshop and I'm lost as ****!
    Can't get the book anywhere either. Every one I've tried to get on Amazon wont deliver to Ireland.

Read the full course outline and it tells you pretty much exactly what you have to do for the project. I haven't a clue where to start though, can't pick a topic and don't know what topics are acceptable and don't really know what we're supposed to write or if there's a set format or what. I am adrift.

Yeah i remember that module alright, was the bain of my existence.

The book is difficult to get but just order one in the campus bookstore, fastest way ull get it to be honest. was about 60 bills last year.

Basically what ya have to do is conduct a piece of research using spss and data sets that are given to you. last year they were from the european survey of households. you then pick a research area. i choice the area of division of household labour, (ie who does most of housework, male or female)

ya then take a few variables and run them thru SPSS to form cross tabulations (tables) then ya analyse these to see findings.

naturally this is a very brief description of the project. also the project is divided into 2 different projects to hand in. first one basically what ur going to do (research plan) and second one is the massive part (approx. 5,000 words).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

did this course last year..

Go to the computer labs! Go to the seminars! Seriously you got to go them or you will be sooooo lost. the lectures are useless and the overheads will be on blackboard.

You will be stressing about this stupid project two weeks before your finals and the only people in the computer labs around you will be other stress 3rd year Sociology students!

I have the Babbie book Fled, if you want it, drop me a PM, Im still around UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

ok, so the research topic we pick will be in the european household survey? so that means all the statistics are already there right and we just have to talk about them? If its around 5,000 words i presume we have to back up what we're saying with references and research?
    dont know where to start either, or even what way the layout is meant to be.

• Advertisement

As Villaricos says, you MUST go to the seminars and workshops. MUST. if you do not you will be completly lost. If you feel u are way behind and need help, email the lecturer/tutor and ask to meet up to discuss what you have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'm doing this module this year and I've attended all the workshops and seminars so far. As for the book 'Adventures in Social Research Data Analysis using SPSS 11.0/11.5 for Windows' by Earl Babbie, Fred Halley and Jeanne Zaino, I photocopied it.

I'm using the ISSP Environment dataset and I've finalised my research question and the variables both dependent and independent.

I did Sociology of Environment last semester so I know what my theoretical readings will be.

All I can say is sit down with the datasets, look at a particular topic and find two variables that fit together at least for the first project. Also if you haven't gone to the workshops and seminars at this stage, then do. I guess it's better late than never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Did that last year too. Its a nightmare but as everyone has said go to the seminars and the workshops!! its so important and you'll definitely have a few meetings with your tutor before the end of the year! Its really hard but just make sure you go to classes. Lectures are definitely not essential...even the overheads are quite complicated. Seminars and Workshops...all the way!

I also have the book, essential reading to pass the course, if you or anyone needs it just PM me!

does anyone now how many variables we are meant to have for the 1st report?
    whats the difference between dependent/independent variables?

does anyone now how many variables we are meant to have for the 1st report?
    whats the difference between dependent/independent variables?

Independent variables are indicated to be the 'cause' effects of the dependent variables which are usually the question posed to the sample.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks. is it up to chapter 7 in the spss book that we are to do for the 1st report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I missed my second tutorial, and I've been told by some people that I need a full literature review for the next one, and by others that I just need a proposal for the literature review. Does anyone know which one is right?
    stardust wrote:
    Ok thanks. is it up to chapter 7 in the spss book that we are to do for the 1st report?
    Afaik you just need your frequency tables done, but I could be wrong...

We just need univariate descriptive statistics for the first report showing the dependent and independent variables. The theoretical readings have to be linked to the research question and the variables.

Chakar wrote: »
    We just need univariate descriptive statistics

what is this?

what is this?

The term 'univariate' is a term describing the frequency tables with the mean, mode etc. Descriptive statistics are graphs showing the representation of numbers into visual representations in bar and pie charts.

You should read DeVaus's book on 'Surveys in Social Research' 5th edition.

A more detailed outline of the 1st project has been posted on Bb under Course Documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I was thinking of picking Sociology in Arts next year until I read this thread.

So you're going to take the experiences of a few members of boards.ie who haven't been attending their tutorials and lab tutorials or looking at the necessary readings (which are only a few chapters or so)? If they did they would have the necessary knowledge to tackle the project.

what type of graphs etc are people using for the first assignment?
    Just frequency distribution tables or are we exopected to use more than that?

I think we're supposed to use bar or pie charts to represent the frequency tables. I'm not sure if its pick one or the other though.

• Advertisement

I'm making good progress with the 1st assignment. How's everybody doing?

anyone know if this has to be bound in a folder or anything or can it just be handed up as normal like an essay?

does anyone know how specific the research question has to be?

Like i decided to do mine on the division of household labour. Is the question 'Who does the most housework, male or female?' acceptable?
    Or does your research question have to incorporate the variables? i.e asking what the relationship between age/gender is to who does more housework....

anyone know if this has to be bound in a folder or anything or can it just be handed up as normal like an essay?
    Normal essay style. On which, anyone know where I can get a decent stapler? Mine doesn't staple anything more then ten pages...
    Is the question 'Who does the most housework, male or female?' acceptable?
    I think thats fine. Male/Female would be the independant variable/s, that alters the dependant variable/s, housework. Just make sure you have at least two dependant variables.

I've been looking at the marking scheme for the 2nd research assignment. It looks like a significant amount of the assignment will be taken up with the bivariate analysis of the variables. I hope they put up a more detailed outline when we get back after the break.

When I submitted my research proposal assignment at 1.00pm Friday last, the administrator said there was still lot of people yet to submit their assignment.

There's a detailed outline for the second project on Blackboard under 'Assignments'.

However there's one thing I'm not too clear about. Is the literature review the theoretical readings of the research problem?

I would say so. when do we get the results of the first assignment?

I'm not sure. I couldn't attend my workshop on Tuesday. Your workshop tutor is the person marking the projects.

I heard they're handing the results out in the workshops. I missed mine so I sent an email off to the workshop people about picking it up during their office hours.

• Advertisement

how did everyone get on with the results of the 1st report? happy?

Advertisement