Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

final yr sociology-quant research methods

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah I'm happy. But that's done and dusted anyway. Time to get these essays and a project done.

So the 2nd assignment is due in next Monday, 28th April. Hoping to finish it before the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

god i cant wait for the 28th..this assignment has really dragged on! around how many words is it supposed to be? i know its up to 20 pages, but a lot of those pages are diagrams/graphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Don't think there's a word limit, just aim to get as close to twenty pages as possibe.

On the Crosstabs tables I've got percentages as well as 'count' (the number of people who replied). I can't remember but should I just have percentages?

I've got the cumulative percentages as well as the count. I think both the percentages and the count are important for comparison. I seriously doubt that my workshop tutor would want just the cumulative percentages.

• Advertisement

I have to say I'm so bored with this project at the moment.

im way behind on this. can anyone explain to me how to do this...

topic - division household labour

i want to crosstab Males who are in full time employment with who prepares meals in the house.
    and i want to crosstab females who are in full time employment with who prepares meals in the house.

how do i do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

im way behind on this. can anyone explain to me how to do this...

topic - division household labour

i want to crosstab Males who are in full time employment with who prepares meals in the house.
    and i want to crosstab females who are in full time employment with who prepares meals in the house.

how do i do this?

go to analyze > descriptive statistics > crosstabs, then put the 2 variables in the 2 boxes and press ok (i think, i'm working from memory)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I hate this damn project, ridiculous how they throw something completely different at you in your final year, I'm terrible at numbers and graphs.

go to analyze > descriptive statistics > crosstabs, then put the 2 variables in the 2 boxes and press ok (i think, i'm working from memory)

That's correct. But the independent variable has to be the 'Row' and the dependent variable in the 'Column'.

To get the percentages you click on Cells in the Crosstabs pop-up window and click Rows with regard to the percentages.

Chapter 8 and 11 in Babbie 'Adventures in Social Research' will help.

• Advertisement

thanks...but how do i isolate just male full time. the variable is employment status with either full time, part time, and unemployed. i just want to crosstab full time and males only

thanks...but how do i isolate just male full time. the variable is employment status with either full time, part time, and unemployed. i just want to crosstab full time and males only

You do that in the 'Variable View' screen under the column 'Missing'. Click on 'Missing' in the appropriate cell and enter the corresponding numbers of the labels for part time, unemployed etc under 'Discrete missing values' with the highest number to the lowest, from left to right. Then click 'OK' and run the crosstabulation again with males only.

ok thanks a million chakar, its becoming a lot clearer to me now

just sent you a PM chakar

I answered your PM earlier today. Best of luck with the project guys.

The chi-square test of significance is such a ****ing bitch.

The whole thing is a ****ing bitch :D

I can't remember where the appendix goes, is it before or after the bibliography?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm gonna have to hand it in late, nowhere near finished.

I've put my appendices after the bibliography.

handing mine in late too... im stuck on part 2. its a joke. i cant go any further in my assignment until i figure out how to do this part. the crosstabs are making no sense...i must be doing it wrong!!!! is there any staff around at all to help with SPSS??? think they are all gone home... :(:(

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm stuck on the chi-square test of significance at the moment. Hoping to figure it out soon enough.

By the way stardust the percentages can be changed with Row percentages for the absolute count and Column percentages for the variables.

the crosstabs are making no sense...i must be doing it wrong!!!!
    Any specific part? As long as you have the dependant variable in the row and the independant in the column and percentages on it should be set up alright.

Chakar wrote:
    Yeah I'm stuck on the chi-square test of significance at the moment. Hoping to figure it out soon enough.
    I kept that section fairly vague, I just wrote out the value, degrees of freedom, p< and qouted Babbie whether it was a significant statistical relationship that could be generalised to the population or not.

That's quantitative research methods finished for me.

Advertisement