Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how many poems should you cover per poet?

• 12-02-2008 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

how many poems should you refer to in your prescribed poetry answer?

ive heard 4-5 but the sample ans in irish times refers to 6 or 7!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

6 Poets (Could do 5, but that would be risky) and I'd say 5-6 poems.
    Thats what I'm doing, and hope it gets me through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

5 poets (to include all female and Irish poets), 5 poems by each. Anything more and you're an idiot, considering it's worth the least of the long questions on Paper 2. I did Plath last year, was pressed for time so did 4 poems, and I got full marks. Quality, not quantity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

you're meant to study 6 poems for each poet but you only ever use 4 in an answer! no matter what!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

pjjk theres absolutely no need studying more than 5 poets. 4 of the 8 prescribed poets come up every year so you're guaranteed at least one will come up. Studying a sixth is just wasting time tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

We're doing 5 poets, and 6 poems by each. You won't use all 6 poems in your answers, but it gives you a bit of choice when answering your question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

6 poets and 6 poems each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Is it true that an Irish poet and a female poet have come up each year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

An irish poet is most likely. So, that's why for my pres, I'm only studing Donne and Mahon. And 4 poems each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Is it true that an Irish poet and a female poet have come up each year?

Officially, no.

Really, yes.

Anyway, I studied 8 poets 7 poems each cause I like poetry and loooove choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Were doing 6 poets, with 6 poems by each. Its grand because you get a choice in the exam and you can also choose to leave out certain poems if you wish. In my case, bye bye to Derek Mahon. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

: o Mahon is great!

We do 5 poets, 5 poems by each. Though we've studied most of Rich's poetry that's available, took a long time to decide which 5 to use.

In the answer.. well I'd be inclined to use all the poems (ie 5), but they'd want to be relevant. It'd just be annoying to study a poem in depth and not use it.. (Queue me shoving Ecclesiastes into every poetry answer, regardless of whether it's on Mahon or not.. I like that poem.)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

and I was sad that any man or beast should lack the happiness I had..

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

dingos ate my baby

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

: o Mahon is great!

Oh God, i hate his poetry. It's so...something. I dunno, its all deep and "meaningful" I much prefer John Keats, that's just beautiful :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,916 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I recommend 4 or preferably 5, that you would know like the back of your hand. I also suggest writing out the poem before you go to answer questions on it while you are studying: does wonders for your instant recall.

Advertisement