Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipes that use egg yoke's ???

• 12-02-2008 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Too cut a long story short Im being left with up to 16 or 18 egg yokes a day and I hate throwing them out does any one know any recipes that would use them up ??:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

you can throw them into dishes that involve whole eggs to make them richer like some cakes and all scrambled eggs and quiched. dunno what to do w/ yolks alone though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Custard? Hollandaise? That would be a lot of custard and hollandaise though...

Lemon curd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Pasta? - you can put it into risottos and other pasta sauces too.

I dunno if you'll really be able to use up 18 yolks though!!! You can freeze them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A large batch of mayonnaise?

Make some plain, garlic and other flavours? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can make mayo, and use better oils to make it too, add garlic etc, vinegar for salad cream. But you will have millions of it! maybe make it in batches and give it to family, should be better than in the shops. I have no recipes though.

May be find a local bakery to take them? swop for a loaf of wholemeal bread ,or something since I am guessing you are on a healthy diet. Most bakeries will be buying liquid egg. Or donate to some place, freeze up a load of them as recommended.

It is a shame to see them go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

rubadub wrote: »
    It is a shame to see them go to waste.

I know Ive even tryed to feed them to next doors dog (scrambeled with some stale bread) but he couldent hack that much egg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

How about ice cream. 18 yolks and 4 full eggs make a good ice cream with the cream and sugar and flavouring. Makes a lot of ice cream though. And yes I know that we are not supposed to use raw eggs these days but I always make my own ice cream using raw and i'm still alive. I guess if u are pregnant or eldery don't eat it though.

deemy wrote: »
    How about ice cream. 18 yolks and 4 full eggs make a good ice cream with the cream and sugar and flavouring. Makes a lot of ice cream though. And yes I know that we are not supposed to use raw eggs these days but I always make my own ice cream using raw and i'm still alive. I guess if u are pregnant or eldery don't eat it though.

Now that sound like a good idea :D do I need an ice cream maker to do it ??

ps

out of 5000 irish eggs checked only 2 had saminolia and in both cases it was in the shell not the yolks or whites

Now that sound like a good idea :D do I need an ice cream maker to do it ??

ps

out of 5000 irish eggs checked only 2 had saminolia and in both cases it was in the shell not the yolks or whites

not at all. You can whisk the yolks eggs sugar( about half kilo for 18 yolks and 4 full eggs) over a pot of water( for those out there who might be afraid of salmonella) until whiteish in colour or like i do just whisk them using electric mixer. when done fold in ur flavouring ie strawberry puree / mint liquor with chocolate shavings. brown bread is also yummy( place broken up leftover brown bread in oven with brown sugar and cook for 30mins or so)
    then fold in about 1.5 l of whipped cream(with a runny consistency). pour into container but make sure you stirr it an hour or 2 later to make sure the flavouring doesn't drop to bottom of container.
    this receipe is best eaten within a month or 2 though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭LINKY.V.18

you should make a range of different things if you're left with that many yolks. The ice-cream and mayonnaise definitely but you should try and make your own fresh pasta. Its 12 eggs for 600g "00" flour or in your case for a richer version 12 yolks. Just whisk up the yolks and gradually mix into sieved flour with a bit of salt. Then knead and generally beat the crap out of the thing for about 10 mins until smooth. This will freeze really well. Fresh pasta when ever you want. You don't really need a pasta machine just roll it out thinly, then roll it up like a swiss roll and cut with a knife. Also the lemon curd idea is good, that would use up lots of yolks.

of course pasta. should of thought of that one. Add some spinach or tomato puree for different flavours. and as poster said you can freeze it. if you want to dry it out(spaghetti. tag ect) throw it over a brush handle and leave it to dry out. i bought a little rubbish bin and keep it in that till i need it.

LINKY.V.18 wrote: »
    for 600g "00" flour .

what is "00" flour ??

ps
    thanks for all the advice guys :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Type"00" is the floour used for pasta. Strong flour should do if you can't get your hands on it.

Advertisement