Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heuston to Aiport

Options
  • 12-02-2008 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hey All,

I'm going to be arriving in Heuston at 8am next Wedneday morning. What's the best way to get to the airport from there?

My flight (to US) is leaving at 10.30am, so I would be aiming to get the airport around 9am. Is that possible?

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'd advise you to be at the airport earlier than 9. If you have to go through US immigration at Dublin airport, then the queue could be quite sizable.

As far as your question is concerned, the 748 bus go to the airport from Heuston. It goes every 20 mins afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭teresasaunt

Thanks for the reply, Nightwish.

I'm going to Chicago. But, with AA, passengers don't pre-clear customs and immigration in Dublin. It's all done in O'Hare.

"Passengers travelling from Dublin to Chicago can no longer pre-clear customs and immigration in Dublin. To avoid long delays, passengers must now clear customs and immigration in Chicago upon arrival."

Is there a timetable anywhere online detailing the schedule of the 748? How long does the journey normally take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Time table here. If traffic is bad the driver sometimes takes the port tunnel, but other than that its usually a pretty straight run out the Drumcondra road using the bus lane. I used the 748 last Wednesday morning at 8:30 and it took 25 mins. They say 45 mins so airline passengers dont leave themselves with too little time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Doesn't checkin close two hours early for trans-Atlanic flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm fairly sure they recommend being there three hours in advance for TA flights. Even if they don't, you should consider staying overnight somewhere, just for peace of mind. What happens if your train breaks down or is delayed, or if there's a crash somewhere in Dublin and the traffic comes to (more of) a standstill. You're cutting it very close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Thanks for the reply, Nightwish.

I'm going to Chicago. But, with AA, passengers don't pre-clear customs and immigration in Dublin. It's all done in O'Hare.

"Passengers travelling from Dublin to Chicago can no longer pre-clear customs and immigration in Dublin. To avoid long delays, passengers must now clear customs and immigration in Chicago upon arrival."

Is there a timetable anywhere online detailing the schedule of the 748? How long does the journey normally take?
    Latest check in time for AA in Dublin is 60 minutes pre departure.
    https://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/customerService/customerCommitment/conditionsOfCarriage.jsp#CheckIn
    If you don't get to a check in desk before 9:30am, they are very likely to refuse to let you check in.

They recommend that you check in 180 mins before departure but I never take any notice of this. I would try to be at the airport for 8:30-9:00am

If you arrive at Heuston around 8am, you must take a taxi. The bus only goes every 30 minutes (8:05, 8:35, 9:05 etc). Buses are highly unreliable in Dublin so it may not depart at these times and may be delayed en route.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=748

Your only option is to take a taxi. Walk to the rank outside the station. Taxi crosses the Liffey to the North Quays, take a left up Church Street, then a right onto Dorset Street and straight on to the Airport. Bus lane most of the way. 30 minutes should do it. Maybe 20-25 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

i agree with the others saying you should be checking in earlier - if it was me i'd travel up night before because you never know what traffic is going to be like in dublin - plus what happens if the train gets delayed on the way? and then dublin airport is at the best of times chaotic - my advice would be get to dublin the night before

Advertisement