Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

x1950pro gone kaputt !

Options
  • 12-02-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

I just got it a few months ago. Last night, BF2 crashed to desktop and i was left with 256colour display. I just shutdown and went to bed.

Today, I booted it up, and all I'm getting is a black screen. The cursor is there, and once the desktop did get displayed, but after a few secs went black again (again only cursor visible)

Is the card knackered? Is there anything I can do to try fix it?

I've already reseated it, and left the side of the pc - this is when I got a display for a few secs, but then blank!

Any help appreciated!

edit: just remembered - some graphics were gettings a bit stretchy (if that's the right word) before the crash. Does this mean it was overheating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Hey,

I had similar trouble. I would make sure the card is firmly seated and all power cables connected, and make sure you have a sufficient airflow in the case. You could install some 'temp' monitoring software. The other thing you could try would be (obviously) remove old gfx driver and download the latest version. Search for BF2 cleaner it will clear all the temp logo cache etc. I done the above and it has helped me out. I seriously doubt the card is knackered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

thanks for that..

I've checked the seating of the card and the 2 power connectors and everything seems fine. I've left the side of the pc off for the moment to help with temp, but I'm not sure how I can install the temp monitoring software if I can't get the display going.

I bought this card in the States last October, so i'm not sure where I stand on the whole warranty side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

DonalN wrote: »
    thanks for that..

I've checked the seating of the card and the 2 power connectors and everything seems fine. I've left the side of the pc off for the moment to help with temp, but I'm not sure how I can install the temp monitoring software if I can't get the display going.

I bought this card in the States last October, so i'm not sure where I stand on the whole warranty side of things.

Well for when you do get it working. :o Have you resetted the card, you should get a post (system info) when you switch on. If so press 'F2' or whatever you use to access the bios and reset the defaults. It will restart and hopefully you will be able to access windows.

Phew!!!.

In the 30secs I had before the screen goes blank, I was able to get the update driver process going. I left it for a bit, the rebooted and the display is now staying put - checked the driver and it had updated.

I've downloaded Rivatuner and found a tutorial on changing fan speeds based on gpu temp.

Out of curiousity - mine is idle'ing at 54deg - is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

Could be lower , Its not terrible , Have the same Card as u but over clocked and Idle it runs at between 48-52deg , full load is a different story altogether.

• Advertisement

Joeface wrote: »
    Could be lower , Its not terrible , Have the same Card as u but over clocked and Idle it runs at between 48-52deg , full load is a different story altogether.

did u change the cooler on yours?

also, mine is the AGP version (don't know if that makes a difference)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't worry, perfectly normal. Remember, most people will have additional case cooling, and most certainly most of those you're looking towards as a reference for 'normal' temps. I used to have an X1950Pro, and when I did, I had zilch extra case cooling - I think idle often reached about 56-57

Advertisement