Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick to Dublin & the Red Cow Park 'n' Ride help.

Options
  • 12-02-2008 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

Ok I am driving up to Dublin on Friday (22/2/08) and I want to park my car in the Red Cow Park ‘n’ Ride and get the Luas into the city. Last time I drove to Dublin was about 3 years ago but I have always drove into the city centre. My friend told me to park at the Red Cow Park ‘n’ Ride and get the Luas into the city, I have never been on the Luas and what I wanted to know would I be better just driving into the city centre or using the Red Cow Park ‘n’ Ride? How far does the the Luas bring you from the Red Cow Park ‘n’ Ride? city center And what Luas do I get? How much is it to use the car park for the day?

Thanks…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Red Cow P&R costs around €4 to park for the day and the adult retrun fare is about another €4. It takes about 40mins from the Red Cow to Abbey St. (just beyond O'Connell St.). Don't know how full it is after the early morning rush hour.

Other Options:

Use P&R in Tallaght - there's a new one (Tallaght West)

Use Balally or Sandyford P&Rs on the green line - last stop is Stephen's Green.

At busy times if I'm heading for Tallaght, Balally or Sandyford I usually turn off for Saggart and then head up to the Blessington Rd, bypassing Tallaght (Turn to left for Tallaght P&R) or head to the M50 for Balally or Sandyford.

If you decide to drive into the city at off-peak times you may make it faster than the 40minutes but parking will be more expensive and may be difficult to find.

Other regular visitors to the big smoke might have more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You'd be getting the Luas Red Line which goes as far as Connolly Station (passing Heuston, Jervis Street and Abbey Street along the way).

Edit: Great timing, thanks Phog. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Thanks for the help guys. I will be useing the P&R at the Red Cow as it's the only one I know how to get to. I will be leaving Limerick at 8am to get to the RDS for a kids show starting at 12, so I hope it won't take me too long to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Not related or of any help to the OP but I was in nottingham last year and my mate parked in their park & ride ans we got their version of the Luas into town , he left the car in the car park for the weekend ........ it was free parking ! and the ( once more ) Luasy type thing was also less than a pound each , guess they want to encourage less congestion .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Thanks for the help guys. I will be useing the P&R at the Red Cow as it's the only one I know how to get to. I will be leaving Limerick at 8am to get to the RDS for a kids show starting at 12, so I hope it won't take me too long to get there.

While the Red Luas line and the P&R at the Red cow is what you know the route isn't best suited for the RDS unless you use the Red Luas to Connolly and get the Dart to Sandymount Station and walk from there - have no idea on how long this trip would take. Leaving Limerick at 8 you should arrive at the Luas line for 10.30, if you get a Luas immediatley then you should arrive in Connolly by 11:15 - no idea aboput the Dart.

I don't know what parking is like in or near the RDS on Friday but if I'm heading for that area then I head for the M50 (Southbound ) and stay on the M50 until exit 14, head up the slip road to the roundabout and take the 2nd exit (the first is into an ESB property) head for (passing Bewley's Hotel on right) next roundabout take the 2nd exit (Brewer road, I think?), up to T junction and take the left (Stillorgan Road or N11), continue on this raod (past RTE on right) and take your next right (there's a church on your right) then almost immediately keep left at the Y junction (onto Anglesea Road). The RDS Showgorunds is short distance down on your right, as I say if I don't know about parking.

Other poster may have a better route.

PM me if you need more details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

jonski wrote: »
    Not related or of any help to the OP but I was in nottingham last year and my mate parked in their park & ride ans we got their version of the Luas into town , he left the car in the car park for the weekend ........ it was free parking ! and the ( once more ) Luasy type thing was also less than a pound each , guess they want to encourage less congestion .
    Wow and I was thinking €4 for the day was dead cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP just a heads up that the Mad (Red) Cow roundabout is no more. There is a crazy spaghetti type junction there now while the M50 upgrades continue. It is very confusing to say the least.

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP just a heads up that the Mad (Red) Cow roundabout is no more. There is a crazy spaghetti type junction there now while the M50 upgrades continue. It is very confusing to say the least.

Great!! I am going to make my way up there at 7am just to give my self time to get to the Red Cow P&P and then make my way to the RDS.

Just want to say thanks again for all the info you guys gave me.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 han68

Just make sure you stay in the right hand lane when approaching the mad cow and you will be fine, the exit for the LUAS has been moved about 200 meters further ahead, but that is all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I'm heading up to Days Hotel in Park West in a few weeks and wonder what's the best way to get to it in light of the current state of the Red Cow roundabout? Should/can I drive straight through and turn left onto Nangor road? If so do I stay in the middle lane? Here's the hotel location -

http://www.dayshotelparkwest.com/location.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

trap4 wrote: »
    I'm heading up to Days Hotel in Park West in a few weeks and wonder what's the best way to get to it in light of the current state of the Red Cow roundabout? Should/can I drive straight through and turn left onto Nangor road? If so do I stay in the middle lane? Here's the hotel location -

http://www.dayshotelparkwest.com/location.php

I think that they keep the web site pretty up to date, or give advance notice, with what's going on. Linky

Assuming you are coming from the Limerick side, stay on the right hand lane and once over the Red Cow move back to the left lane. (twice)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Thanks lads. Another option I'm wondering about is parking at the Red Cow Park 'n Ride overnight and getting a city center hotel. Is that possible/advisable/safe/secure?

Possible: Yes, as the 4 euro you pay are for a 24 hour stay.

Secure ? No idea to be honest, have no experiences with that, cannot recall I have seen CCTV or similar over there, but of course that does not say it is not there. What I have seen is cars being parked over night, so it is done by people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

I am not sure if I am too late but I know a bus company that are going from Limerick to Dublin, they'd drop ye at the RDS

It would save you all the hassle of Luas etc.

Let me know if you want their number.

Edit* i just re-read the first post, it was weeks ago! Sorry...

Armada wrote: »
    I am not sure if I am too late but I know a bus company that are going from Limerick to Dublin, they'd drop ye at the RDS

It would save you all the hassle of Luas etc.

Let me know if you want their number.

Edit* i just re-read the first post, it was weeks ago! Sorry...

So the that bus won't be going up this Friday? If it is I would like you to post or PM me the number pls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

I am not sure about Friday but you can call or text the guy on 087 2833932

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jenz6

Hey Guys,
    Im travelling to Dublin from Limerick in a couple of weeks and i will be staying in a hostel over night (near Trinity I believe) I dont really know the roads in the city centre so I figured I would use one of the park and rides and leave the car over night. Do you know if this would be safe to do and also which park and ride should i use considering where i am coming from and where I am going (Trinity).

Any info on this would be much appreciated.
    Jen

Advertisement