Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do with my banger??

Options
  • 12-02-2008 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right spot for this thread!

Anywho.. Im driving a 00 punto, the condition of which has deteriorated drastically over the last couple of months due to some bumps and scrapes and cannibal car washes (it ripped off my side moulding!). Anyway iv just started a new job and a company car is in the pipeline but not sure when as im still training. Could be a couple of weeks, or months, not sure yet. So anyway the engine i fear is about to give up on my banger so im unsure what to do with it. It's making some funny noises that i can only describe as similar to Jonny 5 from short circuit and has had problems accelerating in low gears during the cold weather the last few days. I dont know how serious any repairs will be but i dont think blowing loads of cash on any repairs would be money well spent so some advice would be most welcome, and asap!!

I take it scrappage unless on a trade in would yield little or no cash? Should i try offload on the cheap in private sale and then use the money for a quick fix at car auction? At least that way i could sell on the stop car from the auction for a little more id say. Anyway advice is most welcome.

Incidentally it did pass NCT recently but I just started M50 driving the last couple of weeks in work which seems to have exposed its weaknesses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Seeing as its a fiat, find the nearest hole to dump it in and set her alight:D.

Seriously though, what do ya mean by noises, is it from the engine the full time or just when you're driving (which could mean gearbox/drive). I'd get a local mechanic to have a quick look at her, its its something big, flog the car as a non running. Scrappage deals are as good as they sound, you should get a cash discount close to the amount given for scappage anyway if ya push the dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Why does EVERY thread mentioning a Fiat get smart comments about how **** they are?

If the OP's car was a Micra/Starlet/Corsa, the replies would be very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Why does EVERY thread mentioning a Fiat get smart comments about how **** they are?

Maybe because they are shít?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tsk tsk
    offer it on www.adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Maybe because they are shít?

Well they are and they aren't. Iv had it nearly a year and iv had no probs til now, i have been worrying all year long though due to their reputation, but all iv had to get done is brake pads, tyres and bulbs. Put the high speed driving i think is starting to have an adverse affect. It really doesnt feel comfortable going 100k plus, grand for the relatively slow city driving. They're not as bad as people make out, not by a long shot, check out the 100 most reliable cars list, about number 37, allot better than some higher profile ones.

Anyway, its become a banger cos iv let some body damage go unrepaired and now i feel it might not be worth getting fixed. Im just trying to hedge my bets ya know, il get a service come pay day at the end of the month and try to get to the bottom of any potential serious probs. The noise is hard to describe. And now that i think of it, when im accelerating, (in the cold mornings) it sounds more like R2D2 from star wars screaming. Sorry for the ridiculous comparison but best i can do. Also when accelerating in low gears particularly second it feels like a huge hand is holding the car back for a couple of seconds and then it finally begins to take off. Thats the main prob im finding with it, perhaps thats not that serious. But really its barely moving when this happens and im sure people behind me are going what the hell is this guy doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Because their sh1t and have proven themselves to be unreliable time and time agian . In Fairness You weren't long having problems with your punto

Because they are a proven reliable car and don't have a FIAT badge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Should i try offload on the cheap in private sale and then use the money for a quick fix at car auction?
    Nobody, absolutely nobody is going to give you money for an 8 year old punto that makes funny noises and has trouble accelerating.

Unless you know (i.e. sleeping with) a really good mechanic, the best thing to do with that car is drive it to a scrapyard now while you still can. At least you will save the cost of the scrapyard sending a truck to collect it when it drops dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

in fairness though Puntos are aload of ****. my missus had to buy a new car today after we decided the 4th major fault with her 00 Punto was enough

Because their sh1t and have proven themselves to be unreliable time and time agian . In Fairness You weren't long having problems with your punto

Micras/Starlets/Corsas are a proven reliable car and don't have a FIAT badge :D

To be honest you drag up the "Puntos are ****" so often I am starting to think you just have some sort of stupid vendetta against them. I could tell you plenty of things that have gone wrong with my friends and family's Micras. We had a Punto for years and never had any trouble with it but you say it's a proven unreliable car so I mustn't be remembering properly. My Punto only had one small problem which was easily fixed. But it's OK for any other car to have a problem, just if it's a Punto then it's obviously a terrible car.

My Punto only had one small problem which was easily fixed. But it's OK for any other car to have a problem, just if it's a Punto then it's obviously a terrible car.
    It is a late 97 Fiat Punto SX 60. 84k miles. It is taxed til May and NCT'd til Dec 08, it only had 2 owners before she bought it a few months ago (she is getting a 99 fiesta now instead of it). He has replaced most of the internal parts (I don't know the name of them). The clutch was acting up, it kept staying down but he has fixed it, think he replaced it. The head gasket was acting up and he replaced it.

Hmm, Your car was hardly 'born strong' and reliable now

I've had the 'pleasure' of getting as loan of a punto for a few days and it was more of a hindrence then a help TBH, wasn't too fond of t cutting out all the time, got boring after the first 100 times.
    miju wrote: »
    in fairness though Puntos are aload of ****. my missus had to buy a new car today after we decided the 4th major fault with her 00 Punto was enough

^ What he said

OP I'd say get rid 00 puntos that are working aren't expensive don't waste your time with that moneypit.

• Advertisement

wasn't too fond of t cutting out all the time, got boring after the first 100 times.

Maybe it was the way you were driving it? I only started driving in November and haven't cut out the car in weeks.

Good to see you only had a Punto for a few days but still slate them every chance you get.

As for my car- I knew all about the car when I bought it. It is my car and nobody else's business As a matter of interest what do you drive?

Maybe it was the way you were driving it? I only started driving in November and haven't cut out the car in weeks.

Good to see you only had a Punto for a few days but still slate them every chance you get.

As for my car- I knew all about the car when I bought it. It is my car and nobody else's business As a matter of interest what do you drive?

Nope can't remember the exact issue with it but it wasn't my driving thats for sure cars don't tend to usually cut out when you on the motorday doing 100k + or at least they shouldn't

Well between that and pulling apart my mates punto on a regular basis to try and get a bit more life out of it ,i'd say i'm in my rights to slate them

FIAT/Alfa joint worst for breakdowns attended by German ADAC during 2001. 12th from Bottom of 100 models for reliability in Auto Express 2002 survey. Rated average for breakdowns and problems, poor for faults in 2003 Which survey. FIAT Punto 1994-1999 10th least reliable car in 2005 Warranty Direct Reliability Survey with 48 repair claims per 100 cars. Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

Thats fair enough ;) .
    As a matter of interest what do you drive?

I drive a Nissan Primera

That's great but you are really starting to sound like a broken record...

Thanks for the link, good you had enough spare time on your hands to find it.

That's great but you are really starting to sound like a broken record...

Thanks for the link, good you had enough spare time on your hands to find it.

No Problem --- No problem --- No Problem.. Sorry records skipping again.

When your doing a night shift you've got to kill the time somehow. ;)

Mine:

1995 Opel Corsa City 1.2 (Unreliable, Bad Gear Box)
    1995 Nissan Primera 1.6 Twin Cam (Excellent runner)

Commerial:

04 Citroen Berlingo 1.9 Diesel (Wouldn't pull the socks off a dead man!!!)
    05 Citroen Berlingo 1.9 Diesel (Likewise!)
    No Problem --- No problem --- No Problem.. Sorry records skipping again.

When your doing a night shift you've got to kill the time somehow. ;)

Sure when you're finished with the Puntos you can start on the other cars you've had, for all that you slate my car you don't seem to be too good at picking a good one yourself, and we never hear about anything else except the Puntos which were all other people's...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

My father bought Fiats all the time.
    I will never forget pushing one to a hill so the bastard would start.

Fiat (were) totally crap. My therapast said I should never buy one
    If you want good calf muscles – Fiat for sure.

Italian food / wine / women are excellent, in that order :-)

but Italians cant make or drive cars properly lets face it.

Sure when you're finished with the Puntos you can start on the other cars you've had, for all that you slate my car you don't seem to be too good at picking a good one yourself, and we never hear about anything else except the Puntos which were all other people's...

LOL For a start the thread was about OPs punto, why would any other car come into it.

Second of all i wrote in Black & white about my experience with the corsa, would i recommend it, possibly, didn't like the gearbox , very rattely and its reliablility after it reached high mileage (the usual consumables that go at high mileage: fuel pump,etc), but my corsa was pushing 125,000 when i got rid of it, and it's still been driven to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Fix
    It
    Again
    Tomorrow:D

To be fair, I had a Cinquecento as my first car and it was great but it did require constant tinkering to keep it going. Still tho, thats what small Fiats are about, they're cheap to use and abuse. Its not like they're at the top of the market and subjected to full service histories etc.

Back on topic i'd take it to a mechanic to see what he can do for you. A few hundred quid could give you a few months to get your new car and it would almost certainly be cheaper than buying a car in the mid term. Also there's always a market for a running banger with an NCT and its cheaper to sell a car than pay a breaker to take it.

If you are getting it fixed try to avoid an open ended price and nail the mechanic down to a price for the repairs. Also if you need parts, go to a scrap yard if possible to keep costs down

LOL For a start the thread was about OPs punto, why would any other car come into it.

Well you are able to drag your "Puntos are ****" into enough threads so I just think it's funny how you don't mention the other cars you've had. Maybe you wear yourself out giving out about Puntos the whole time... :rolleyes:

I bought my car to learn in and don't intend to have it very long, I have said this several times but you still don't seem to understand and seem to think bringing in the "Puntos are ****" after most of my posts about my car is somehow having some effect. I don't remember saying I wanted a Rolls Royce...

Ferris wrote: »
    Still tho, thats what small Fiats are about, they're cheap to use and abuse. Its not like they're at the top of the market and subjected to full service histories etc.

Try telling that to some people!!! I bought my Punto thinking it was like a Bentley only smaller, I'm so glad I've been told different now!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

http://www.topgear.com/content/carsurvey/2006/fiat/panda/

8th out of 152 for reliability; things are getting better.
    As the new 500 is just a less practical Panda, reliability there should be similiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

LuckyStar - its worthless arguing that old Fiats are reliable - they aren't.

New ones, however, are amongst the most reliable cars sold, and Fiat have unarguably the best diesel engine technology in existance, but unfortunately people take a damn long time to change perceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

worded wrote: »
    but Italians cant make or drive cars properly lets face it.

Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lancia, Pagani, Maserati, De Tomaso, etc, etc. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Where are you based, i will take the Punto off your hands free of charge.

FIAT/Alfa joint worst for breakdowns attended by German ADAC during 2001. 12th from Bottom of 100 models for reliability in Auto Express 2002 survey. Rated average for breakdowns and problems, poor for faults in 2003 Which survey. FIAT Punto 1994-1999 10th least reliable car in 2005 Warranty Direct Reliability Survey with 48 repair claims per 100 cars. Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

I know Fiat / Alfa are the same company. But I've yet to have any problem with my 00 Alfa (apart from fanbelt snapping which lated 7 years) that I sold today. Am now driving an 02 156 and am hoping to have the same amount of trouble free driving (as it has full sevice history)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Gurgle wrote: »
    Nobody, absolutely nobody is going to give you money for an 8 year old punto that makes funny noises and has trouble accelerating.

Unless you know (i.e. sleeping with) a really good mechanic, the best thing to do with that car is drive it to a scrapyard now while you still can. At least you will save the cost of the scrapyard sending a truck to collect it when it drops dead.

I think that would be more than a little hasty without even getting it checked out, it could be something simple, like i said its not given me any problems at all since i bought it nearly a year ago until now. Would be foolish to just chuck it out and write off the money paid for it without a cent in return.

And really i dont care what anyone says you cant knock em unless you've had one yourself! How do you honestly know what they are like unless you try one yourself. And im sure people have horror stories about em but there is plenty of so called reliable cars that im sure have plenty of the same horror sob stories. Its only a banger cos of the damage that has been done recently to the body work.

have to agree with you givvyjoe. other halfs punto has a bit of wing damage but we're not planning on scrapping it either. we've put it on the market for €1,500 which is half the average value of the 220 odd Puntos on cbg.ie right now.

we're figuring some learner driver will come and pick it up on the cheap and spend about €400 odd in getting a new gearbox and they'll have a running car to learn in (until the next problem at least, LOL )

Note: we're not trying to sting anyone with a heap (though Puntos are) as most parts have been replaced already (clutch , headgasket etc , etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ferris wrote: »
    Fix
    It
    Again
    Tomorrow:D

To be fair, I had a Cinquecento as my first car and it was great but it did require constant tinkering to keep it going. Still tho, thats what small Fiats are about, they're cheap to use and abuse. Its not like they're at the top of the market and subjected to full service histories etc.

Back on topic i'd take it to a mechanic to see what he can do for you. A few hundred quid could give you a few months to get your new car and it would almost certainly be cheaper than buying a car in the mid term. Also there's always a market for a running banger with an NCT and its cheaper to sell a car than pay a breaker to take it.

If you are getting it fixed try to avoid an open ended price and nail the mechanic down to a price for the repairs. Also if you need parts, go to a scrap yard if possible to keep costs down

I'll agree with ya there, I myself would be happy to buy a cheap one if I was very strapped for cash, but thats because I'm ok with fixing most problems with cars myself. However, if you dont know much about cars, you really dont want to be paying a mechanic to look at it every fourtnight or so. Having stripped a fiat once, I thought that they were very well designed, things like intergrating the tripod/cvs in the diff are good designs which reduce the weight of the drive. Some parts of them are well designed but are not put together well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'll agree with ya there, I myself would be happy to buy a cheap one if I was very strapped for cash, but thats because I'm ok with fixing most problems with cars myself. However, if you dont know much about cars, you really dont want to be paying a mechanic to look at it every fourtnight or so. Having stripped a fiat once, I thought that they were very well designed, things like intergrating the tripod/cvs in the diff are good designs which reduce the weight of the drive. Some parts of them are well designed but are not put together well.

Now you're making sense. Fiat have some excellent engineering feats, and their cars (most of them) are dynamically very good. Quality control is less than impressive a lot of the time though, but not all of the time.
    Anyway, I always laugh at people who say Fiats are the worst cars on the road. That's a stupid sentence. If they said least reliable, it wouldn't be as bad a sentence. But then you're basing EVERYTHING about a car on reliability alone, in which case everyone should just be driving a Toyota or Honda and anyone who isn't is dumb. But that's not what motoring is about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

If i was stuck for a car i'd prob buy a punto, i'm a mechanic and they are cheap cheap cheap. Get one that has just had the head gasket done on it and drive it til it drops, park it in the garden and then you have a stores for the next cheap one.
    The cousin had a diesel van punto, hated working on it but it did give him very little trouble despit the fact it was permanently frieghted. Would have them over a french car anyday as theres less to go wrong in them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement