Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA import

Options
  • 12-02-2008 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

An odd question but here goes anyway.

If someone were to legally purchase a rifle in the USA in one of the many "shall issue" states where no license or registration is required, and they later obtained an Irish firearms certificate for that same rifle, could they then import it into this state on a later trip to the US?

Im wondering what can of worms this one can open up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ironsight wrote: »

If someone were to legally purchase a rifle in the USA in one of the many "shall issue" states where no license or registration is required, and they later obtained an Irish firearms certificate for that same rifle, could they then import it into this state on a later trip to the US?

Im wondering what can of worms this one can open up?

Yes.

The shipping and export might be a problem though. Check for a thread by Clare Gunner last summer where he gave a detailed explanation of the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

ironsight wrote: »

If someone were to legally purchase a rifle in the USA in one of the many "shall issue" states where no license or registration is required

"shall issue" means if your legally entitled to have a CCW licence (a conceal carry permit) they will issue you one.
    All firearm purchases still go through the standard FFL/background check
    When i buy a firearm over here, i have to show my greencard and 3 months worth of bills to prove residency.
    I doubt a visitor without residency and visa could legally purchase a firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

harmoniums wrote: »
    I doubt a visitor without residency and visa could legally purchase a firearm.
    Yes you can, if it's for export. The dealer needs an export licence the details of which can be found on Clare Gunner's thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

Yeah

Checked Clare Gunners post.. he has some very good points & his article is well written, all nice and clear..

I cant actually legally receive a rifle in Idaho, I but it there and I can send it to an international FFL dealer and pay them to arrange the paperwork for an international transfer permit from the US State department, and provided its licensed here I don't need an actual import permit.

Sounds to simple.... but let the paperwork begin.... cross you fingers folks, this might take a while !

As to the earlier "shall issue" comment I was referring to the fact that some states regard the issue of licenses for rifles as being negligible, provided you pass the state background check

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Shouldn't cost you more than 200usd.And That's including the shipping from the US to Ireland.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement